Holy Windage!

Yesterday I left work a tab bit early. I wanted to get in a long ride, I'd been hoping for this the last few days. The weather looked nice, except they were calling for wind. I was like "Fine, I can handle a little wind." The first 10-15 miles weren't that bad. I just kept pushing along, mostly into the wind. I was riding to the gym to meet up with the Wed night ride crew. Once I got there I stood around and got cold, they were running around 20 min behind schedule. Some people were still pumping tires, putting in a new tube, etc. When we finally hit the road I was sluggish! I was struggling to hold the "B" group's wheels. My legs felt heavy and it didn't get better. The first stretch was back along the way I just came, only in the opposite direction. Wind at our back! Great! Except they all had fresh legs and wanted to fly. I did my best to keep up. At our "regroup" spot the "A" "B" and "C" groups all arrived around the same time. That was fun. Pretty soon we were underway again, except about 5 of us got caught not being able to cross a busy street. We all said screw-it! We were a good quarter mile behind everyone now. We just took turns pulling. For some reason it felt like I, the only guy, was cycled to the front more often. 2 of the 5 didn't pull at all, that is fine normally but I was hurting!

When we finally got back to the gym a few people wanted to go next door and grab a beer, to bad I still had about 15 miles home. :( The way home wasn't that bad, mostly with the wind at my back. There were a few times when the road curved back into the wind. So, lets get to the fun stuff. I was finishing my last climb of the day. I got to the top and decided to stand up and stretch the legs a bit. WOOOOZERS! Right leg, quad and calf completely locked up. In a faint attempt to bend that leg my other quad locked up. I very awkwardly stopped my bike and un-clipped. Then I noticed I couldn't raise my leg over my bike to dismount. That sucked! I ended up calling for a ride home less than 2 miles away. After a few minutes of water and walking awkwardly my legs loosened up some and I could get off my bike. Soon after my sister showed up to give me a ride home....Thanks sis!

My numbers for that ride:
43.5 miles
14.3 mph average! Yay..that's right...14! Not 18, 19, or 20....14! Holy Windage.

Formulaic  – (May 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM)  

Ouch! Sounds like you worked your body hard that day.

Having your body lock up like that can really suck! Especially when you are so close to home.

But still...that average is a good day for me!

teacherwoman  – (May 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM)  

OMG! I can't believe you did all those miles in that wind!

We had pretty bad wind here too. They compared them to "hurricane winds". yuck!

Jason  – (May 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM)  

Thank goodness you had your phone. I have had a couple of runs that left me stranded. Nothing to do but hobble home.

trimybest  – (May 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM)  

yeah the wind has really sucked this year! at least we are nearly done with the windy season!

X-Country2  – (May 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM)  

Wind or not, that kind of ride is impressive!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP