Winter Be Gone...but Spring was out in full force.

Sunday was the coldest, most wet duathlon in history!  Wind temp was in the mid 30's and it was raining off and on.  Twenty min before the race 3 of the 5 of us had thrown in the towel.  It was pouring, transition was flooded and I even think there was hail here and there.  It was nasty!  


Eventually the race director yelled, "Everyone is doing the short course and it starts in 10 min." AER YOU KIDDING ME!  Half the people weren't even ready in transition because of the rain, lightning, hail and possibility of it being canceled.  I was frazzeled with all the rain, I forgot bike shorts and my cold weather gloves in my car.  As people were making their way to the rainy start line 3-4 blocks away I ran back to my car for the gloves, those would be needed on the bike.  

At the start we had to wait an extra ten min because so many people forgot chips since we had 10 min to set up in transition and make our way to the start 3-4 blocks away.  So they brought out chips for everyone who forgot them  and we were off.  I ran the first 2.25 miles with Steph.  It was great to run with her, we haven't ran together in a LONG time.  We took it easy, 9:50's and came into transition comfortably. 

Every leg of the race was out and back so we constantly got to see everyone as on person was heading in as I was still heading out or vice versa.  On the bike I was super comfortable with what I wore, I was a little warm on the runs but I was good on the bike.  I never got passed on the bike!  That felt good! The course was hillier than I remember!  There were a fair number of turns on this short 12 mile out and back course but it seemed like we went into a nice wind for 9 out of the 12 miles.  I looked at my Assistant Coach for the splits and I only had 4 miles with an average above 20mph.  I was definitely going into the wind more than not.  Overall I was 35th out of 115 on the bike with an 18mpg average.  Last year my bike average was 13.5.  I think I officially crushed it!  

The second run was a little iffy at first.  I threw my bike in transition and grabbed the running shoes, which were full of water, and stepped out of transition.  Man my foot felt funny, crap there was a pack of shot blocks in my shoe.  How didn't I notice that!?!  Oh yea, my feet were soaked and numb...it was 35 degrees out.  I took those out of my shoe and tossed them back into transition and was off.  The first .5 mile was iffy for me.  My inner thigh and right calf wanted to cramp up.  It was scary for a while, until I noticed that I was cruising at 8:30's.  I slowed down to let my legs loosen up and then picked it back up.  I ended up coming in at 8:26's for the second run. 

My total time was 1:24:03.  Not bad considering the conditions. I was hoping for 1:20:00 (that would have been a good day). I think I was a little optimistic about the bike this early in the season but I felt good and pedaled hard.  

I was having a great time the entire race.  I was cheering for everyone I passed.  Saying hi to the volunteers.  I had a good day regardless the conditions.

I haven't had time to get some photos so stop by Steve's blog or Brian's Blog.  Jeremy, Pharmie and her brother (Matt) and sister (Steph) were present as well.  Steph!!! Congrats on your first du!  I hope next week has perfect conditions!

I'm looking forward to another "A" group ride tomorrow where I get my butt kicked just trying to hold some one's back tire.  I need to get faster and catch Steve who led the group's bike average, only because Jeremy broke a chain.  In my defence Steve, Matt, Pharmie and Jeremy all have bikes that easily give them 1-2 mph....just wanted to throw that in there for the fat man (me) trying to keep up with these beautifully aero tri bikes.  

Kelly  – (April 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM)  

I already read Steve's report so I knew this was a rough race. But congrats on the bike dude. Way to go! (did I just say dude?) Oh well. Happy Tuesday. And, I think you did awesome.

X-Country2  – (April 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM)  

I still can't believe you people even got out of the car. :o)

Great race!

LG  – (April 28, 2009 at 10:38 AM)  

so it was like a tri in a way with all that water ;) way to tough it out...lightening...don't know if i would of gotten out of the car.

Brian  – (April 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM)  

FYI - I heard from the race director. There had been some talk of not doing the event next year but he has decided to continue the event as a 5k-30k-5k. No more short and long course option. I asked him to rename it the 'Bathtub Du'!

Colleen  – (April 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM)  

Congrats... you had a great race despite the conditions. And yes, you crushed the bike! Way to go!

Formulaic  – (April 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM)  

Dude, you crushed the race! Not just the bike but the run (both of them).

Nice job out there!

trimybest  – (April 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM)  

great job on sunday! congrats on the pr! if you ever want to go out for a hard fast ride then hit me up!

Wes  – (April 29, 2009 at 7:49 AM)  

That was one nasty du :-) Congrats on kicking some ass and taking names on the bike. That's a huge improvement!!

Pharmie  – (April 29, 2009 at 6:10 PM)  

I don't think it's the bike on this course. Lots of wind and lots of hills by default are harder on bigger racers, hence Steve's rocking time :) Great job out there despite the conditions!

teacherwoman  – (April 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM)  

Wow. Still impressed with all of you guys!! Too awesome! :)

Run For Life  – (May 1, 2009 at 5:29 PM)  

Shot Bloks in the shoe does NOT sound comfortable! Congrats on surviving the icky conditions and having fun. :)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP