Who loves recieveing a package? I DO!

I got home today and while I was pulling up I saw a large box sitting outside of my door.  It was my new kicks!  My last new pair of sneaks were chewed up by a crabby dog.  :-(  I did a little checking around and I actually found the shoes I trained all last summer in.  And ran Twin Cities Marathon in...there is a little bit of an attachment issue.  I didn't want to get rid of them, but I just can't run much in them.  I get those little aches and pains.  They have well over 400 miles on them so they have to do.


So on Nike.com I found the exact pair, I went as far to compare the SKU number on the little tag inside the shoe.  They were only like $60 online, I paid $90 from the local running store so I bought two while I had the chance.  I'm not sure if I will alternate shoes, or just use one pair until they are toast.  Any thoughts?  Do you alternate shoes?

OLD SNEAKS














NEW KICKS IN FRONT.  Old pair in the back.















So, who's excited for EASTER!  I am!  I'm playing host to the fam again.  I'll be making a lovely ham, some kind of veggies (prolly grilled) and some 'doctored up' baked beans (they are at EVERY family gathering).  I've delegated the salad, potatoes and desserts.  I should have a much easier day than last Thanksgiving when I did everything.  I mean what do I really have to do...a crock pot of beans, throw the ham in and grill some veggies.  This will be easy!

I'm not sure I've mentioned this before but I'm now through 8 days of no sweets.  This might not sound like much, but I am around them everywhere!  My sister loves to bake and makes cookies, pies, bars...whatever every week!  And my floor at work is large enough that there is always someone having a B-Day or some other reason they bring in cake, cookies at least 3 times a week.  And of course the table it sits on is pretty close to me AND between me and a few other team members.  Keep in mind I walk over to these team members 10+ times a day.  At the end of the day I'm a sucker for a cookie while making dinner after a good workout.  Who isn't?  So...for April I'm not touching any sweets!  8 days successful and counting!

Last but not least I thought I would bring you an actual workout that we've been doing in our Wed. Spin classes.  They are always different so this was just today's.  Side note:  our Wed. Night spin instructor has a professional coach and Wed is supposed to be her interval/tempo day so that is what we've been doing the last few months.  Ok, here is the workout...

Warm-up
  1. 15 min
Simulated Race

Micro Bursts (hard effort / barely spin)
  1. 15 sec. on/ 15 sec. rest  (5 min)
  2. 20 sec. on/ 10 sec. rest (5 min)
  3. 30 sec. on/ 15 sec. rest (6 min)
  4. 1 min on/ 30 sec. rest (5 min)
Hills
  1. 5 min Big Ring - loaded hill climb (roughly 60-70 cad.)
  2. 1 min rest (easy spin)
  3. 5 min Big Ring - loaded hill climb (roughly 60-70 cad.)
  4. 1 min rest (easy spin)
Race Winning Move
  1. 30 sec. sprint w/ medium load
  2. 3 min hammering w/medium load
  3. 10 sec. all out sprint to the finish
Cooldown

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (April 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM)  

i alternate between two pair - it helps when shoes get wet or whatever.

i found my fav running shoes online for about $30 less than the local price and bought a pair and have it stashed in my closet. i'm thinking of buying a second!

X-Country2  – (April 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM)  

Nice work on the no sweets. Our receptionist has a bowl of m&ms on her desk, and I have to have at least 3 every time I walk past her.

teacherwoman  – (April 9, 2009 at 7:05 AM)  

I usually only have one pair, but have been alternating between a couple pairs, indoor and outdoor shoes. It's just that time of year.

Jumper 2.0  – (April 9, 2009 at 7:16 AM)  

What I was taught is that you should alternate if you run 2 days in a row.
But I don't and haven't seen any issues.
And I have a pair of shoes that have over 500 miles that seem just fine. I use those on my "dirty", wet runs. If the weather is nice then I wear my new pair.
I just wonder if the 400 mile thing is just a made up thing to push more shoes and it's not necessary? Much like the whole 3000 mile oil change thing!

Formulaic  – (April 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM)  

I've always wanted to get another pair of shoes. I fantazise about a road pair and a trail pair.

Alas, I am a one shoe man (but a boy can still dream right)

Man! Reading about your ham and the fixins' just made me hungry!

Have a great Easter

Chic Runner  – (April 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM)  

Wow, packages are amazing. I'm seconding that. Well ones you get in the mail. Get your dirty mind out of the gutter. 2ndly those new shoes are amazing.

Jen Rife  – (April 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM)  

Definitely break in both pairs of shoes and alternate them. Running compresses the padding in the shoes. Alternating them gives each pair more time to decompress after you wear them. You'll get much more use out of both pairs than you would if you wore one out before moving to the next pair.

Congrats on avoiding the sweets! I should try that. I eat WAY too much junk food.

Chad in the AZ Desert  – (April 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM)  

I don't alternate between two pairs of road shoes, but since I do a portion of my running on trails and have a separate pair of trail shoes, I kind of end up with the same sort of thing. I don't think it really matters. The important thing is to get rid of them once you hit 500 miles. No matter how good they might look on the outside, the midsole is toast by then and not protecting you anymore.

Have fun with the new shoes!

LG  – (April 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM)  

No Sweets!! Wow, that is will power, I don't know if I have the will power to give up the lunchtime cookie, but I did decided no sweets in the house - of course that meant binge eating a quart of icecream to empty the freezer ;)
I don't alternate sneakers, although i have read and heard from the pros that it's the way to go.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP