The day I ran 26,000 miles

I hope everyone had a great weekend! We had some BEAUTIFUL weather in MN! The last week has been full of 60 and 70 degree days, I couldn't ask for better weather!

***WARNING: LONG POST***

For starters, and those who may have missed my last post, I signed up for Twin Cities Marathon (TCM). This will be my second marathon, TCM 2008 was my first marathon. I'm excited to have something to train for...I mean to REALLY train for. I currently have some other races on my calendar (duathlon, half marathon, TTs) that I can push myself for pace, but that just doesn't get me motivated as much as pushing myself farther. Pushing myself to those distances that hurt to keep going.


Last year I just wanted to finish the marathon and that really hasn't changed going into this year. Last year I had something to prove, this year I really just want to get back to the point I was at least year. I was nearly 20 pounds lighter, I looked for reasons to go for a run. This year I've been looking for reasons to skip workouts. So I guess what I'm getting at is that my major goals for this year, and marathon:

  • Finish
  • Lose weight
  • Successfully scare myself into training
  • Have fun
  • And of course, beat last years 4:39

I hope I see some farm animals on the course again!

Moving on, I've gotten in a solid week of workouts! 2 solid bike rides, 2 solid runs and 1 brick workout that left me out of commission the last two days. I did a hard rolling hills ride last Wednesday and then Thursday I joined up with Matt (the cow in the picture above) for a good brick ride. We did a 19.4 mile ride with a few "straight up" climbs. After the Wednesday's ride (and the 2 runs the 2 consecutive days prior) my legs were a little tired! Matt and I hit the flats hard and attacked the hills. Take a look at the two hills we ended with, OUCH! They weren't the longest hills but they were steep!


After that ride we laced up the running shoes and within a few blocks my calf started cramping up. It was bothering me a little on the two final hills but on the run it left me unable to run. I had to walk a few blocks. After that I did manage 26000 miles! That's right!

If you can't read the image below, it says I ran 26,669 miles in 13 min and 51 seconds. In reality it was 1.4 miles in that 14 min. I just want to thank Garmin for the smile and story!




I'm looking forward to next weekend! I've got my first duathlon of the year next Sunday! It should be a good time! Last year I did it on my 12 year old mountain bike because my new road bike was in the shop. My results from last year was:

  • Run 1 (2 miles): 17:46
  • Bike (12 miles): 57:41 12.5 mph/average
  • Run 2 (2 miles): 20:34

This year I want to destroy that time! I'm in much worse running shape but much better biking shape (and I have an actual road bike this year!). I'd like to average 9 min miles on the runs (or better) and crank out a 19-20 mph average (36 min). So that would take me from last years 1:39:17 total time to 1:15:00 (adding in a few min for transition). I know that is an optimistic time, but 1:15 - 1:20 would be a good race for me next weekend. Even at 1:20 that cuts off nearly 20 min! WOWZERS!

I hope everyone has a good week!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (April 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM)  

Good luck with the duathlon next weekend.

so what exactly happened with the Garmin?!? That's funny!

Brooke  – (April 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM)  

Funny because I just sent one of my friends an email yesterday saying that I hoped she would sign up for a marathon/half-mary with me next fall...like you I need something BIG to train for...and to scare me into being out there everyday. I had a great week of workouts as well...but I still need more!

Good luck next weekend...you will blow the race out of the water!

X-Country2  – (April 20, 2009 at 9:09 AM)  

Good call. Nothing will get you motived to run like the fear of getting your ass kicked in a marathon. :o)

LG  – (April 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM)  

boy, 26.2 will seem like nothing after the 26,000 you just cranked out! having a finish line is a great goal to get you back at it! have fun a the Du - i have no doubt you will crush last year's time!

Pharmie  – (April 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM)  

Signing up is on my to do list tonight!

Chad in the AZ Desert  – (April 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM)  

Nothing like a marathon on the calendar to motivate you to get out the door and run.

26k miles in 13 minutes? You should be working for NASA or something.

trimybest  – (April 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM)  

wow you must have one hell of a stride!
i just signed up for the marathon as well. train smart and stay stong! i predict a pr for both of us!
see you on the road.

Brian  – (April 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM)  

Let's plan on meeting up in the transition area that morning some time. Just look for a middle-aged man with high forehead and expanding waistline with a grey Cervulo with a ZIPP disc rear wheel.

Colleen  – (April 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM)  

First, yay for signing up for the marathon! Great goal to work toward. Second, you are hella fast to run 26,000 miles in 13 minutes! :) Third, you are going to kick ass in the du! You are such a better biker this year!!!

Steve Stenzel  – (April 22, 2009 at 8:13 AM)  

Oh yeah, the farm animals will be back!

And that's some impressive mileage. You could haul people on your back and give world tours!

Steve Stenzel  – (April 22, 2009 at 8:15 AM)  

OK, I just clicked on the above image, and I LOVE the fact that you were going over 115,000 mph!

Umm, good work?...

;)

nwgdc  – (April 22, 2009 at 10:05 AM)  

I'm signed up also! I'm excited to run it...but wayy more excited for the farm animals!

Ms. R  – (April 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM)  

"...I ran 26,669 miles in 13 min and 51 seconds..." You are the fastest man alive!

Woohoo for TCM. I signed up on Friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

trimybest  – (April 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM)  

hey see you on sunday! i just registered.

Rainmaker  – (April 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM)  

The key here is that you've got a picture of it (26,000 miles). Otherwise no pics = didn't happen.

As for 'long post'...yikes, I'd hate to see what you'd call my last post. ;)

Rural Girl  – (April 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM)  

I wish you all the best this weekend! Have fun!
Congratulations on your goal-setting for the marathon. You can do it.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP