Indoor Tri Recap

Today is the day I'm going to become a triathlete*.  You may ask why the asterisk...well this is an indoor tri where you can finish as long as you don't quit.  You don't have to cover any set distance, just show up and swim for 10 min, bike for 30 min and run for 20 min at YOUR pace.  This race also has some long transitions t1=10min t2=5min.  To be honest, they went by very quickly!  During t1 some people are still making their way out of the pool and heading into the locker room.  I then toweled off quick threw on bike shorts and a shirt (compression shirts suck to get on while you are wet!).  Then you walk/jog through the club to the bike studio, set up your bike and get ready to go.  I was ready with 2 min to go, 8 min flew by!  t2 is simply a walk out of the bike studio out to the main exercise floor, it seemed that most of us were there waiting to go with 2 or 3 min left.


It was 7 am when I met Steve and 4 of his students at Lifetime.  Myself and the 4 ladies had never done any form of triathlon.  Here is a quick photo of us prior to the start.




Now lets get move onto the good stuff...

The Swim

10 min of who knows what will happen.

I really had no idea what to expect here.  I go in the pool with the idea that I was going to give it my best.  I know I went out too hard when Steve and I started and I was barely 8 feet behind him.  To be honest, I completely forgot about the drills and doing correct movements on the 6 (of 16) drills I've completed in the Total Immersion program.  After 3 laps (6 lengths) I was breathing hard.  I stood up for a second at the end of the pool to catch my breath and dove back into it.  Within another couple lengths of the pool I was swimming freestyle 1 length of the pool and back floating back to the other end.  That really did help me catch my breath so I kept doing it until I heard 1 min left.  

I finished with 14 lengths of the pool.  I was really happy with this since I had no idea what I was going to do.

The Bike

30 min of BRING IT!

When the bike began I was ready to bring it for 30 min.  Going into the race I was a little worried about the bikes being set loose.  They were set a little loose, but not as loose as I thought they were going to be.  A few min in the bike I noticed that I was feeling my legs already.  WTF!  I think I kicked too much on the swim.  My legs were already tired, this wasn't going to be good for my goal of winning the bike.  I looked over at Steve's bike computer about half way through and I was about .6 mile ahead of him.  

I think I leaned over to Steve a few times and said I need some different music.  It was nice to have the stereo on with 3 or 4 people hanging out in the bike studio grabbing people water, towels and even biking with them for some motivation.  If this would have been one of my first times in the bike studio I would have loved that, but I am a bike studio veteran.  I didn't want to listen to popular wedding dance songs and other music that was semi-upbeat but still too light and flaky for me.  I wanted some of the new Nickelback, Metalica, ACDC...anything that pumps me up.  

Anyway, with 5 min left I just shut my eyes and focused on my breathing.  When I ended I was at 15.2 miles (just 0.2 miles ahead of Steve).  

The Run

Hold on for 20 min.

The guy working our area said "GO!" and we were off.  You could hear all the beeping of all the treadmills around me as were all speeding them up as fast as we could.  I started out easy at 10 min miles and after 1 song on my ipod (Finally good music) I felt good so I sped up to 9 min miles.  A little while went by but I started noticing my right calf twinging just on the verge of a cramp.  I backed it off a bit and just played a little game, 1 song at 9 min miles, 1 song at 10 min miles.  I was able to keep my calf from totally locking up but that wasn't too much fun.

I finished with 2.1 miles.  I am happy with this, I went into this hoping to keep a 10 min mile.

Overall

It was a good day!  I had a hard workout by 10 am and I can now call myself a triathlete*.  

More photos and results to follow tomorrow.

Steve Stenzel  – (March 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM)  

Sweet job today!!! As we were swimming, I was thinking, "Borsch isn't doing bad at all!!!"

And I agree - the music could have been a LITTLE better, especially near the end of the bike. It was still a blast though!!

CONGRATS AGAIN!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (March 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM)  

Wow. I think this is the type of tri even I might be able to handle. What a great idea.

Colleen  – (March 8, 2009 at 6:46 PM)  

YAY! Way to go! Sounds like you had a great day. Now the big question is... will you do another?

teacherwoman  – (March 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM)  

Way to go dude! You totally rocked it! I am so excited for you and your first tri!

X-Country2  – (March 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM)  

Way to go! I want to do this so bad since the thought of swimming in open water freaks me out.

Jen Rife  – (March 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM)  

CONGRATS! ...and welcome to the world of triathlons!

trimybest  – (March 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM)  

now that you got that first one done then the next one is an ironman right?

congrats!

Collin Kromke  – (March 8, 2009 at 10:49 PM)  

Congrats, and great race report! And look at the pecs on that Stenzel fella!

Wes  – (March 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM)  

Well done! I hear those indoor tris are just fun fun!!

Calyx Meredith  – (March 9, 2009 at 10:41 AM)  

Great first tri race report! Congratulations. (And I think you need to take the asterisk off the word triathlete. You didn't quit - you did it - you didn't take steroids or anything. You can lose the asterisk!)

LG  – (March 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM)  

yay!!! are you hooked now? ready to bring it outdoors??

Chad in the AZ Desert  – (March 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM)  

Great job with the race. You sound like a real triathlete to me.

Meg  – (March 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM)  

Congrats!! Awesome job!!

Pharmie  – (March 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM)  

Congrats again! We have infiltrated your life :)

Run For Life  – (March 12, 2009 at 12:36 AM)  

Congrats, that sounded like fun!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP