5 Hour Spin...NOT


Just a quick update here.


1) I’m still sick, barely noticeable to everyone else but I feel congested and a little out of it.


2) The 5 hours spin was cut short. I stepped off the bike around 3:20 into the ride. I wasn’t feeling bad or really hurting I just decided that I had enough and didn’t want to over work it on Sunday which would leave me on the sidelines for other workouts this week. And to be honest, I’m not training for anything that requires more than 3 hours and 20 min of effort. Really I’m not training for much other than a 2mile/14mile/2mile duathlon.

Steve, Pharmie, Steph and Matt joined me for the spin. Steph and Steve both went around 3:20 and 3:30 as well. Matt did 4 hours and Sarah stayed on all 5 hours.

A little side note about the 5 instructors that made the time go by…some were better than others. Lady #1 (hour 0-1) was good. She had some good triva. Lady #2 and Guy#1 (leading hours 1 – 3) weren’t that great. Lady 2 brought up ‘talking points’ and most of it was naming all the states capitals. Guy 1 was very soft spoken; I kept saying he should be a yoga instructor.
“And we’re going to lighten up in 5 – 4 – 3 - 2 – 1. Ok now let some load off.” (Imagine a 300 pound 6 foot 4 inch guy as timid and soft spoken as they come. ) I think his cadence never got above 50…maybe 60 on the ‘speed drill’. I stuck around 20 min of Lady #3. She was a little intense. I think she forgot that everyone already had 3 hours on their legs. She was doing lots of sprints and hills. I’m not sure what instructor 3 (Guy #2) was like. But while I was stretching in the back of the room he seemed more energetic, walking around the room. I wasn’t paying attention enough to know if he was killing everyone or not.


3) The good news was that I got off the bike with a 3 min transition to get the running shoes out of the locker room and got on the treadmill for a 1 mile run. It felt good to run. At first I felt like I was standing still. I was going an easy/comfortable 10 min mile but my mind wanted to go faster. I kept running up on the front of the treadmill.

Steve was already on a treadmill doing 5 miles. He is an animal!


4) Then Steve, Steph and I sat down to stretch for a while. Steve and I were going to do abs but I had to bow out. Doing the first few sets were fine but the bicycle abs killed me. My legs were burning more than my abs and I was cramping up a little holding my legs up like that. I’m planning to fit in some abs today to make up for my lack of abs yesterday.


5) After that we showered up headed over to Davanis’ from some delicious food. I had 2 pieces of cheesy bread, a south west chicken side salad and a ‘solo’ 5 meat pizza. Mmmm, that hit the spot!


6) Pics from the day are below. Check out Steve’s blog for more pics!

Click on any image to enlarge it.





Me 1 hour in.






Sarah and Steve 1 hour in.





Steph and Matt 1 hour in.








Steve and I running. I look like hell and Steve still has a smile on his face. WTF



For those of you who enjoy a little added information...
  • I stayed in zone 3 for a good chunk of the ride
  • Hit zone 4 for 45 min (10 of that was my run)
  • All in all I say a solid endurance ride!


Pharmie  – (February 23, 2009 at 4:49 PM)  

Thanks again for the company! Great job powering through, even after being sick all week... Intervals tomorrow?

Steve Stenzel  – (February 23, 2009 at 5:14 PM)  

#1: Feel better!

#2: TOTALLY agree about the "yoga instructor" spin teacher. Totally.

#3: Nice run-off!! I am no animal!

#4: I needed to stretch a little more...

#5: Yum-a-dum-dum!

#6: That pic of us running has some SWEET motion-blur that makes my pipes look HUGE! And why does Matt look insane??

See you tomorrow! Pharmie is doing 4 1 mile intervals. Are you in?

teacherwoman  – (February 23, 2009 at 5:33 PM)  

Sounds like fun! I hope you feel better soon!

LG  – (February 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM)  

Cameras in the gym and at spin class - now that is hardcore blogging! you guys crack me up.

Danielle in Iowa  – (February 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM)  

Gees, 14 miles is barely going to feel like anything after all that!

Rainmaker  – (February 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM)  

Your self-treadmill photo is hilarious. It looks like you're about to drop dead. ;)

M  – (February 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM)  

seriously borsch - a five-hour spin in AWESOME!! just the very idea of people being willing to do that instead of having to sit on a trainer all morning alone in front of the tv. kudos for pushing out a 3+ hour ride, and then a run after!! what an fantastic workout!

IronJenny  – (February 23, 2009 at 9:54 PM)  

I so need to train with you guys - Weekend of the 7th - what's on the schedule???

Jumper 2.0  – (February 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM)  

Seriously, I'm with IronJenny (except not the 7th, I work)

X-Country2  – (February 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM)  

I'd have lasted 61 minutes just from being bored! You are some crazy folks up there.

Lauren  – (February 23, 2009 at 11:36 PM)  

I have so little interest in spinning for 5 hours (or even 3 some days).. you have no idea.

but then, we don't have snow on the ground here :)

looks like fun!!

Jen Rife  – (February 24, 2009 at 8:32 AM)  

Great workout! I'm sad that I couldn't be there with you guys this weekend. :( Keep me informed if you do another long spin.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (February 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM)  

HaHaHa!!

You look like Nick Nolte in that treadmill picture.

Maybe not.

No, you do!

I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP