OUCH!

OUCH sums up the last few workouts!  P90X is nothing but hardcore.  I wouldn't consider myself the most out of shape but I haven't done a ton of lifting or really anything but running and cycling the past 12 months.  Getting back into lifting if fun for me.  It is a different kind of adrenaline.  The Plyometrics workout was nothing but intense.  It is go go go the whole way.  My average heart rate was in the 150's and there were plenty of times when it was in the 180's.  Jumping, squatting, jumping from this side to that side, just moving all over the place an hour.  I woke up the next day with that deep burn in my hamstrings.  


The next day I did the Shoulders and Arms workout.  That was a good workout!  Just tons of curls, upright rows, shoulder flys and triceps extensions.  I didn't wear my heart rate monitor to the gym that day but I was soaked through my shirt when I was done.  Today I did my FIRST attempt at yoga.  I say attempt because I was shaky, falling over and looking confused.  The Yoga X dvd is a really good program.  I had an armature yoga attendee with me and she said it was a hard yoga workout.  The first 40 min was the hardest.  At that point we were like, lets make it to 1 hour and shut it off.  It got easier after that and we ended up doing a bunch of balance posses and stretching with a 7 min ab workout.  Again, no heart rate monitor but sweating like mad and my legs burned.  

One thing I really love about these dvd's is that these are real people.  Tony Horton (the trainer) can walk around the room with the cameras following and others in the workout are shaking, struggling or he is correcting their form, giving tips on how to make the exercise harder or easier for us.  I really like that. 

Something else I decided is that I'm not going to do the program in 90 days.  I can't!  My arms are in a constant state of soreness and pain lately.  I'm not used to lifting with this intensity.  I'm hoping within a week or two I'll be back into shape and I can do a lifting workout every other day.  But in my mind it isn't going to be the end of the world if I don't finish it in 90 days.  Having days off from lifting and making some more time for cardio (i.e., running and biking) is also important to me.  

I'm looking forward to this week!  Tomorrow is Legs and Back, then we move into a high energy kick boxing /tai bo workout called Kenpo X.  Wednesday is going to be Spin and X stretch.  Wish me luck as I continue to kick my butt.

Have a great week everyone!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (January 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM)  

Everything I hear about P90X says it is INTENSE.

Good call on taking a rest day. Sounds like you really need it. Besides, rest and recovery is important to maximize results

Marcy  – (January 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM)  

I'm with Lisa. I've heard the same reports about this baby. Hi, scary! LOL

LG  – (January 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM)  

I am sore just reading all your posts about this thing....must check it out. cross training is important. keep kicking your own ass....it's the best feeling (well, one of them)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (January 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM)  

It has been my experience that blog posts titles "Ouch!" can be either bad news posts ("Ouch I hoited myself") or good news posts ("Ouch! What a great workout!")

Yours is a little of both.

Way to take the reins and adjust thingsto your needs!

Brooke  – (January 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM)  

I must say, I'm very impressed with all of this! I have a friend that did this program and his body changed DRAMATICALLY! So I know you will see some great results. Enjoy your workouts...but take advantage of those days off!

http://gokristen.wordpress.com  – (January 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM)  

Yoga drives me insane, kudos for getting through it!
I also hate being in a class with the perfect yoga person next to you doing all the moves correctly while I fall over...
:-)

RunToFinish  – (January 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM)  

oh I am so glad to see someone really reviewing this. I've seen the infomercials and they are very convincing!

Formulaic  – (January 13, 2009 at 3:33 PM)  

Awesome! Keep up the reports.

I have always been interested in it since you first mentioned it a long time ago.

Keep up the detailed reports, more fodder for the fire!

Any details on where you got the DVD's and how much?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP