One Question >>>>Look at the sidebar

To Tri or not to Tri, that is the question.

As most of your regular readers know, I am not a triathlete. Most of you know I'm currently kicking my butt with P90X. I can barely find time to fit in some running and biking with the mass amounts of soreness that accompany this program. Could I fit in pool time? Can I get into the pool, besides splashing around on vacation? How much swim training do I need to knock out a sprint or two? The other kicker is that I'm starting dance lessons with the gf this week. So 1 night a week might be completely blocked off for that. So much training to do already and I just keep adding more stuff. Again

So...to Tri or not to tri?

Karen  – (January 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM)  

Do or do not. there is no tri.

teacherwoman  – (January 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM)  

Just keep swimmin'... just keep swimmin'....

dance lessons too? What are you, superman?

LG  – (January 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM)  

i like what karen wrote up above! so, you seem to be flirting with the whole tri thing, seems like your subconscious is telling you something. you could always take synchronized swimming w/the gf....that would be like swimming & dancing all in one so you'd be able to fit in the pool time ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (January 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM)  

Done correctly, dancing could well lead you to the type of pulled muscles, cuts, abrasions, broken bones, &c that will be the envy of any triathlete. If that's any help.

O, and also, it could turn out to be quite the workout in and of itself.

Come for the groin-pulls ... Stay for the graceful burn ...

http://gokristen.wordpress.com  – (January 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM)  

Ok, I have found that training for a triathlon is great because no matter which one you do you essentially can use it as "recovery".
So you are in pain from the P90x...go swimming. Run hard and now your legs hurt? Swim. Bike too hard and your ass hurts? Run or swim...
So no matter what you can still continue to train because you are using your diff muscle groups.
And about the whole time thing...I am the last person to talk to about that because I somehow fill up my schedule so much I forget where I am.
Mon-Choir
Tues-Workout
Wed-My better half (he gets time too)
Thurs-Another choir
Fri-back with the better half
Sat-morning ride and time with momma
Sun-church and maybe more training

So don't feel bad about the dance class :-)

J~Mom  – (January 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM)  

TRI!!! You won't regret it!!

Brooke  – (January 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM)  

Just do it! I promise you will LOVE it!!!

Colleen  – (January 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM)  

Do what makes you happy (not the best advice, but if you aren't enjoying something or don't have time to enjoy something, it's not worth it!)

What kind of dance lessons? Will there be pictures and or videos??? :)

Borsch  – (January 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM)  

Colleen, I can offer pictures but prolly no videos.

I look better in still frame.

Rainmaker  – (January 21, 2009 at 7:59 PM)  

Let's be clear here...you're choosing to potentially not do tri's to instead do dance?

I tihnk Steve's going to revoke some Man-points from you.

IronMin  – (January 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM)  

Tri! Tri! Tri!

Did that sound like a chant? Swimming is FUN and you can do it in the wee morning hours so you still have time for P90X and dance lessons after work!

Collin Kromke  – (January 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM)  

Dude, if I can do it you can do it. Get a wetsuit if you think you're gonna drown. It's like a big life preserver. No way you'll sink with one of those on.

Chad in the AZ Desert  – (January 22, 2009 at 9:11 AM)  

It's a tough question to answer. It is a big time commitment. When we had the twins, I had to give it up because I just didn't have the hours to commit to do it the way I wanted. It's great fun for sure, but only you can decide what kind of time you can commit to it.

Sherist  – (January 23, 2009 at 5:23 AM)  

I agree with gokristen. Swimming can be used as recovery for the running/biking/P90X. Once or twice a week for half an hour. Your muscles might thank you...as long as you are not cutting into sleep time...which, is...you know...a litte bit better recovery than swimming. :o) Do you have to decide now? Can you try it for a couple weeks and THEN decide if it's worth the time commitment?

Rural Girl  – (January 23, 2009 at 7:12 AM)  

Hmmm, good questions. I am most impressed about the dance lessons as opposed to the tri stuff. That is cool!
My husband just signed up for a sprint tri in June and he can't swim more than 2 laps in the pool. I think he's probably in more trouble than you. Can you counsel him?!

Wes  – (January 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM)  

I would not and am not training for a triathlon during P90X. That would be too much for this old body. I did schedule my 90 days though so it gets over at the end of Feb. Then its full bore back to tri training. I'll use the P90X stuff for some cross training from there.

I think you could "start" your triathlon training in the last month of P90X. Your strength will be fine. It's your cardio that will need exercising.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP