New years Resolutions

So who out there made a new years resolution? I didn't, it is futile in my mind. I would rather make a life change than try to better myself in this area this year. By March most people don't care anymore anyway. If you belong to a gym, and have been there, you've noticed an influx of cars and people at the gym. I went to the gym to start my first P90X workout on Monday and couldn't get on a damn thing. It was ridiculous, waiting for a pull up spot, dumbbells, treadmills. After 20 min of waiting for equipment I gave up and went into the spin studio for a while. I had this feeling of being defeated. It was really demoralizing, I was super pumped up the whole way to the gym and as soon as I saw the parking lot I knew it was going to be hell. I'm glad people are getting motivated to change their life and work out some, but make it a life change and do it regularly. If they did there would be demand for more/larger facilities and there wouldn't be as much waiting as there is (well was for me Monday). Should us regulars get priority? One could argue not becuase we all pay for the use of this equipment but feel like I shouldn't have to rearrange my life becuase someone wants to come to the gym for a month or two.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. I decided to go to the gym later (7pm) on Wednesday and start my P90X workouts. It stinks going that late, at least for me, that is my usual dinner time. Wed. I had to snack twice in the afternoon to get me through my workout. When I got there it was still busy by the weights so I hopped on a treadmill for a few miles, man that seemed to take forever! I haven't been on a treadmill in about 10 or 11 months and the time passed sooo slowly. After that I went to scope out the weight area and I could get some dumbbells, pull up machine (since I'm fat and can't do more than 3/4 of a pull up) and some floor space for push ups.

The first workout is Chest and Back.
It goes something like this
...

  1. Standard Push-ups
  2. Wide Front Pull-ups
  3. Military Push-ups
  4. Revers Grip Chin-ups
  5. Wide Fly Push-ups
  6. Closed Grip Overhand Pull-ups
  7. Decline Push-ups
  8. Heavy Pants
  9. Diamond Push-ups
  10. Lawnmowers
  11. Dive Bomber Push-ups
  12. Back Flys
  13. Repeat steps 1-12 in a different order
  14. Then Ab RipperX
I gave myself 2 min per exercise ( I think the dvd gives 1 - 1:30)...this was to do the exercise, write it down and rest for 20-30 seconds. By the time I was on my second time through I was breathing really hard. Eventually I couldn't slow my breathing so I had to call it a day. I sat on a spin bike for 10 min, really easy, half hyperventilating. This program is going to kick my butt! And I love it for that. I'm pretty sore today, I've had worse but seeing as I only did 3/4 of the workout I'm pretty satisfied with my soreness. It was one of those lift your arms to shampoo your hair and your arms hurt and shake from raising them.

Today is 30 min on the trainer and 60 min of plyometrics and tomorrow is Shoulders, Arms and Abs (looks more intense than Chest and Back). Wish me luck!

Karen  – (January 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM)  

Great job on the workout! Sounds super tough.

teacherwoman  – (January 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM)  

Oh I totally agree with you about the newbies at the gym. I was thinking the same darn thing when I left the gym yesterday at 5pm. It was redicilous.

IronMin  – (January 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM)  

This year I only made general resolutions: 1) Keep in better touch with family & friends, and 2) Get faster in sport. I'm with you - I've made resolutions in the past and they have fallen through so I kept them simple.
That workout sounds brutal! Your arms must've been dying! Good for you though...I'm so glad you're liking the P90X. Maybe you should keep a before picture then post a before and after when you're through. I bet you'll look like those crazy guys in the infomercial with the 8 pack and Rambo arms. :)

Melanie  – (January 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM)  

stumbled across your blog... curious to see how the P90X is for ya! I've seen it in a bunch of stores, contemplated buying it but just haven't! Good luck with the workouts, they sound tough!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (January 9, 2009 at 6:57 AM)  

P90X sounds insane!

I'm confliced about the New Year Resolutionists at the gym too. It's good they are motivated, but most of they won't last more than a couple months. In the meantime, they are getting in the way...

nwgdc  – (January 9, 2009 at 8:17 AM)  

I am completely with you on the New Year's Resolution thing. It's almost comical how packed the gyms are. I remember in college not being able to work out at all from January until March...then, after spring break, oddly enough, the place was empty! Whowouldathunk?

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (January 9, 2009 at 8:33 AM)  

Though my normal policy is not to say anything that is in agreement with Nic (nwgdc), still, honesty compels me to say that I think New Years resolutions are worthless and not worth the breath expelled to utter them. I agree with you, Borsch, that it needs to be a life change. And that can happen any time of the year - but almost never at midnight on Dec 31. People aren't serious then, even though they think they are.

Good luck on the new routine! Also, I bet your gym clears out A LOT by mid-Feb at the latest. Most foax don't have 3 months worth of sticktoittiveness in them.

Marcy  – (January 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM)  

Like the new look!!

Ooohh man that p90x sounds KILLER!! Since I still have to carry my 2 y.o from time to time I don't think that would be good for me :P LOL

IronJenny  – (January 9, 2009 at 10:50 AM)  

I'd have dropped out after #2.
Go Borsch!

http://gokristen.wordpress.com  – (January 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM)  

Don't even get me started on the crowded gym!
I vote for a heat wave so that we don't have to go to the gym in the first place...
Oh wait...we are having a heat wave here...woo hoo! no gyms!

Run For Life  – (January 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM)  

I also hate how crowded the gym gets at this time of year. Good luck w/P90X, it'll get easier!

J~Mom  – (January 10, 2009 at 11:07 AM)  

I have been avoiding the gym for that reason. It's tough to be encouraging to them when you know they will be gone in a few months. Ugh.

SMile4me03  – (January 10, 2009 at 12:30 PM)  

You will have to keep up with letting us know how this p90x works out. I always thought it was one of those crazy gimmick things. And I sooo agree with you about the gym around this time! It is very annoying to get pumped for a workout and then have it deflated when you have fight for a machine! My suggestion though is ask if you can work in a set with someone? Although now that I think about that I wouldn't do that either cause some people just take too long on their sets. LOL I am done being a random reader making random comments. Thanks for the good post that made me want to comment! :)

Colleen  – (January 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM)  

I completely understand about the gym... it's frustrating but just know that in a week or two, it'll be right back down. New Year's Resolutions usually last a week or two! :)

Sounds like you are doing a great job with workouts... I'm anxious to hear how you like the program!

Rainmaker  – (January 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM)  

I hate the gym for the same reasons you listed about not getting a spot...drives me crazy!

Good luck on the resolutions though!

Meg  – (January 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM)  

I totally understand your feeling of defeat from the NYE resolutioners at the gym. I went on Saturday and signed up for a treadmill a half hour ahead of time because it was booked, then signed up for a bike in the meantime, then some old guy got on the bike before I did (and wasn't signed up!). I should have argued with him but I had such a feeling of defeat I just went home!! I can't wait until the crowds are gone.

I love p90X  – (January 8, 2010 at 3:16 PM)  

I agree with the gym being too crowded in Jan as well but the great thing about P90X is you don't have to leave the house if you don't want to.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP