Gonna freeze my testes off tomorrow

Tomorrow I will trade thoughts of my nice warm bed to drive my sister and her hubby to the airport at 4 (effing) am. I'm all for an early flight to save some money but come on. If I made a flight at 5:20 am I would get a cab and not make people drive me there at 4 am. After that I'll probably just stay up, eat breakfast and maybe do some plyometrics before the looming Secruion Frozen 5k. The name is very fitting for this year...
W.E.T.S.U.P.
( I can't remember where I heard this first but I saw it on a blog recently and decided to resurrect it.)
FYI - We Eat This Shit Up.

...I'm so happy I decided not to do the half marathon! I'm looking forward to jogging through my 5K and going back to the car for a thermos of Hot Cocco and a large winter coat. Steve, Pharmie, Jeremy, Jen...I'll come back and take some photos. I'm not planning on my race being fast, I'm going for a leg workout tonight and a spin class so tomorrow will just be fun. No pr's no traget times...just a jog. Does anyone use that word anymore, jog? When did the world switch from jog to run?

Jog: to run or ride at a slow trot b: to go at a slow, leisurely, or monotonous pace

Run: to go faster than a walk ; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step

I mean they both fit but in my head jog seems more relaxed than run.

Anyway...on to P90X

I've had another half good week. I once again kicked my butt with the Chest and Back workout. This time I wore my heart rate monitor and you will never guess what my average HR was....162. That is kind of high for lifting for me. Immediately after a set of push ups or pull ups my HR would be closer to 190. That is like I was running at a 7 min/mile clip. My average HR was above that (162) for the whole workout because I did intervals on the treadmill prior to the push ups and pull ups for an hour.

Yesterday I whooped through the Shoulders and Arms workout. I did almost drop a weight on my head with the last set of over head presses, that was scary. The gym was packed but I somehow managed to get there and someone was leaving their bench in the middle of the free weight section just as I was walking in. I dove on that thing and grabbed my weights and started to induce pain. It is only the 2nd week of the program (3rd week I've been doing these workouts but I'm taking off days for cardio) and I'm seeing improvements in my numbers. Both for the last workout and this workout. Push ups - number has went up, pull ups - I'm using less weight on the machine that 'helps you up', curls - I'm fighting through more reps, tris and shoulders - I've added more weight to each of the exercises.

I am totally loving these workouts! They are just fundamental exercises that work major muscle groups. It is nice to have such a variety of workouts to do. Not all of them work well with cardio days (i.e., Legs and Back...50 min of mostly squats and lunges) but it is just something to plan around. I think these workouts might stick with me for a while. I'm enjoying picking which workout I want to do on days I run/bike/etc. If I had tried to follow the program 100% I might have already quit it. Too intense for what I'm looking for.

With the overwhelming support for me to do a triathlon this year I will probably have to start some swim training to please my readers. :P I'm looking forward to doing a sprint tri or two. Who knows, depending on how the swimming thing goes you might find me here towards the end of the summer. One place you will not find me competing, The Lifetime Fitness Triathlon. It is $140 to register, then the $10 or the USAT 1 day membership. I mean...I could do 3 other races for the price. Lifetime - knock it off! You don't really offer any swag. You do put on a well organized race but stop dipping into the average man's pocket book so you can attract a few more pros we will never see after the gun goes off. And then you will be announcing their names when I am less than half way done.

Does anyone want to put together "The Average Joe's Triathlon"? Everyone is welcome...athletes will organize it so we have everything set up the right way. There will be no prize money, prollly some average joe prizes (drawn at random). Bike lube, Tech wear, GC to LBS, etc. Maybe a BBQ afterwards. Just a thought.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (January 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM)  

If I made a flight at 5:20 am I would get a cab and not make people drive me there at 4 am.

This is what's known as "the difference between friends and family" - because only family could get away with pulling that on you more than once!

I think you're on to something w/ that Average Joe tri ...

Good luck with your "jog", brother!

Danielle in Iowa  – (January 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM)  

You should do Chisago!!! The sprint bike course was a fast 17 miles - I think the half IM bike course is also on the fast side (I need to get ahead as much as I can on the bike so that I don't finish last on the run :-))

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (January 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM)  

That's some cold weather for a race. May need to wear a few extra layers so you don't freeze any um appendages.

Steve Stenzel  – (January 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM)  

I like Glaven's comments on friends/family!! And Danielle has some good thoughts about Chisago! That's a good tri! If I'm free, I'd do it with you!!!....

See you tomorrow! If you can tuck your testes into your body to keep them warm, I'd consider doing that...

LG  – (January 23, 2009 at 12:29 PM)  

I totally got sucked into the P90X infomercial the other day -- thinking of pulling the trigger on it, especially after reading your account of it.

I don't like using the word "jog" -- it sounds so non-athletic, and like I should be wearing sweatpants.

Chic Runner  – (January 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM)  

Steve's comment is sick, but good luck tomorrow, and get your butt to Chicago! :) !

I heard so many great things about the P90X system and glad your getting good use out of it.

Formulaic  – (January 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM)  

Make sure you wrap that sausage up!

Glaven's comment is right on for friends/family.

Have fun on your 'jog'.

J~Mom  – (January 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM)  

Brrrr!!!!

We are putting on our own club century sort of like your average joe tri..Fun stuff!

Rainmaker  – (January 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM)  

There should be laws against those kinda temperatures.

Brooke  – (January 25, 2009 at 1:17 AM)  

Seriously, I don't know how you do it in that cold of weather!! If it gets below 40 here I hibernate! :) More power to you that's for sure!! I hope the race went well and I'll be rooting for you in your first tri! I'll be up there in a month or two - waiting for it to get a bit warmer...so get some running routes ready for me!

Meg  – (January 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM)  

Oooh do a tri!! Seriously, you're 2/3 of the way there now, right? :)

Colleen  – (January 26, 2009 at 10:14 AM)  

How'd the race go? And I'd totally be up for an "Averge Joe Tri"! Races are so damn expensive! I'm wanting to sign up for the Triple in Chicago and it's $300! That's too much!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP