Frozen 5K Race Report

Race #1 for the year is under my belt. The 5k had a very fitting name for the weather this year. We knew it was going to be cold but when race morning came I just couldn't believe how fast my hands froze while attempting to tie my car key to the draw string in my pants (anyone else have a better place to tie a key when you have no zip pockets?).

The day didn't start out that well...I got up at 4 am to drive the sister and brother-in-law to the airport. Then I ate some breakfast and picked up around the house while watching the news off and on. Eventually I could leave to pick up Steve and Pharmie for the race. I wasn't even 1 block out of my driveway and I see sirens. Seriously! What are cops doing in -27 billion degrees pulling people over at 6:40am on a Saturday? I came to a nearly complete stop at the stop sign at the end of my block. There was no one around so I rolled through at like 2 mph. The cop had just been coming up the hill to my right when I was pulling into the intersection. I told him I was tired from driving the sis to the airport and now I was going to run the Winter Carnival 5K. He thought I was nuts and eventually let me go with a warning after a little lecture.


When I finally got to Steve and Pharmie's place Steve was calling wondering where I was. They grabbed their stuff and we were in the car heading to the race. Here is Pharmie and I going up the escalator to the packet pick up with Steve. For some reason people were doing same day signup....CRAZY! We don't look that bundled up here...I like being deceptive.

I wore:




  • Smart wool ski socks


  • Running Shoes with Duct Tape on them (see pic below)


  • Thermal running tights


  • Old school long underwear


  • Running pants


  • Thick under Armour shirt


  • Light technical pull over


  • Med Technical pull over


  • Thin gloves


  • Sweet Ski gloves


  • Old school face mask


  • Knit stocking cap



Jeremy, Jen, Baddapple and his son joined us. We all hung out until the race started. Jermey, Jen, Pharmie and Steve were all doing the 10K (shortened from a half marry). Badapple, his son and myself were doing the 5k. Here is a nice group photo...


The 10K started first, and the 5K started 15 min later. While we were lining up for the start I took my usual spot about half way back but since the door we were all coming from was closer to the start tons of people piled in from of me who shouldn't have been. I spent the first 3-4 blocks skipping from side to side trying to get to the outside around these people. Somehow I got to mile marker 1 at 8:12'ish!?!?!? WAY FAST FOR ME! Just for the record, I was planning on just 'jogging' this and having fun. I didn't wear my garmin or watch. I really didn't care where I finished. If you would have been with me the day before you would have seen that even more...I did a brutal spin class. 2 instructors, they traded off after 40 min...the 2nd instructor got on the bike and said "Crap, only 21 min left. We gotta get to work." She was on fresh legs since the class was beyond full (all 50 bikes) and she gave up her bike since she would be moving upfront eventually.

Back to the race, I slowed down a bit. I was feeling the spin class and leg workouts from the previous days. Somewhere near the turn around I started talking to a nice old man, Dennis. He is in his early 60's and is on some ungodly number for 5k's. I want to say he said over 5,000 but that sounds high. He has been running since HS but, I'm thinking I didn't hear him right. We chatted all the way to the last .5 miles when he fell back on the large hill (7% grade 1.5 blocks long) leading up to the finish (which was 3 blocks farther up hill but not as steep). Here is the elevation chart.



Steve flew by me (finishing his 10k) when I had about 1 mile left on my 5k. I saw him cheering as I was finishing up. I think I finished in the low 28:20's. I slowed up a lot from Mile 1. But it was nice to hang out and talk to Dennis. Here is a great pic of what I looked like after the race...

Just a little frosty! Click on it to blow it up!


It was a good day! Steve, Pharmie and I stopped at Caribou on the way home for a nice warm cup of coffee.

Check out everyone's blog for more pics and their recaps of the day...
Jeremy, Jen, Baddapple, Steve and Pharmie

ps...Jeremy, I can't find my Nike+ transmitter. It must have still been in the shoe when I tossed them. Sorry!

Marcy  – (January 26, 2009 at 12:09 PM)  

I just saw Steve's report! DAYUM!! You guys are so hardcore. That is just completely nuts! LOL

Chic Runner  – (January 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM)  

You two are so hardcore! great race report and glad you enjoyed it! :) MINUS your face being frozen! Wow!

Steve Stenzel  – (January 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM)  

What a day!! Are you shooting for Dennis's goal someday? (I'm not...)

Nice job in the cold! Thanks again for the ride!!

Chad in the AZ Desert  – (January 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM)  

It does sound like you ended up having a really good day. Nice...except for the weather. Yikes!

Danielle in Iowa  – (January 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM)  

I sometimes tie my key onto my shoelaces... But you better double knot those babies!

Formulaic  – (January 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM)  

Dude! Getting pulled over at -2000 degree! Seriously, the cop better be wearing a biohazard suit.

I saw that in SD they were making people go inside to do the sobriety test. They said a lot of people were failing because they were freezing!

Pharmie  – (January 26, 2009 at 5:55 PM)  

Thanks again for the ride and the coffee stop!

teacherwoman  – (January 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM)  

I still can't believe you guys ran in those conditions. The picture of you all frostly sums it up pretty well!

Brooke  – (January 26, 2009 at 7:50 PM)  

It should be illegal to race on a day that cold!!

Rainmaker  – (January 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM)  

You are officially hardcore on so many levels. Ending with the fact that you made a duct-tape casing for your shoes.

TRI TO BE FUNNY  – (January 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM)  

So did the shrinkage factor help or hurt your race?! Holy Crap that's cold!! It's 40 degrees here with a little sleet and the town is shutting down!!!

Rural Girl  – (January 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM)  

Way to get out there! Frickin' cold! When will this nightmare end? April?

IronMin  – (January 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM)  

Congrats - you had a great race time! I am so impressed you got out there in the cold. You are tougher than nails...

BaddApple  – (January 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM)  

Hey Borsch! It was nice meeting you at the Frozen 5K. Good luck in your first indoor Tri. I will be watching your page now.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP