Looking forward

Saturday kicked off the first "Saturday of Speed". It was a great morning! I met Steve at his house Saturday morning (8:45am). He was ready to go! He even had a GINORMOUS backpack full of extra clothes, water and a boombox. Why he didn't want to jog to the track with it on this shoulder like this guy I don't know.

Steve and I got there right around 9am, we were shortly joined by Ryan, Pharmie, Laura, Greg and Jenny. Steve and I were planning on doing the The Sinclair Special, basically 600 at 10K, 100 easy (I did 200), 200 all out, 400 easy. We were both planning on doing 5 sets, let me tell you, after the 3rd I knew I went out a little hard. I was super excited to get this going and do some hard runs, what I didn't take into account was the spin class, squats and lunges the day before. Whoops! So, #4 came and at the end of hard 200 I was spent...gasping for air...I had to walk 20-30 seconds just to catch my breath. I had to do the same on the 5th set, but at least on the 5th set I was DONE! That was a tough workout, but it went by pretty quick. It wasn't as hard as my first 20 mile run, it wasn't as hard as my first 50 mile bike, but it was hard! What holds true for spin classes holds true for intervals...you make them whatever you want them to be. I decided to make it a tough workout and ran my ass off. I haven't had a chance to download the garmin data yet but I can't wait to take a look at it. :-)

If you are looking to gain a little speed or just something different, I'd suggest you try the Sinclair Special. I'll be doing it again. I'm not used to running fast and shooting my HR up, I can't wait to do this a few times over the next couple months and compare.

After gasping for air and waiting for a few others to finish their workouts I saw Steve head over to the bleachers...crap. He started running stairs and for some reason I joined him. They hurt! But I'm stronger for it. Here is a picture of me peeing on the stands, re-setting the garmin for another lap of high heart rate cardio (the stairs). My heart rate hit 192...my "max" is 195. I had an average HR of 182, just above AT.


I think Steve is planning on doing another track workout this Saturday. If I'm going to beat Pharmie at a half marathon next year I need to keep some of my endurance so I'm planning on getting in a 'long run' (7-8 miles). If anyone plans on doing a speed workout at the track with Steve next week let me know...I'll come and finish up my long run there. Who knows, maybe I'll talk myself into more stairs.

Chad in the Arizona Desert  – (November 17, 2008 at 5:28 PM)  

Wow, nice job with the interval training. You are right, you get out of it what you put into it - and it looks like you put a lot into it.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (November 17, 2008 at 6:40 PM)  

I'm pretty sure the Sinclair special would kill me. I'll pass on that, thank you.

Rainmaker  – (November 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM)  

So that explains it. Clearly I've been pushing the wrong reset button on my watch along along....

teacherwoman  – (November 17, 2008 at 8:08 PM)  

Sounds like fun! It's always nice to do some of those workouts with some other people as well!

I was wondering what you were doing in that picture.... :)

Steve Stenzel  – (November 18, 2008 at 9:24 AM)  

I was wondering if I could get you to do more stairs!!!!

I'll be sending out an email to those who came last week and the others that were interested. I'll be shooting for 9 am again (otherwise it would get too late and there'd be too much activity on campus). I'm thinking about 45 minutes for warm-ups, intervals, and cool down, and then some stairs/Crossfit training from about 9:45 - 10. Should be fun!

LG  – (November 18, 2008 at 12:50 PM)  

Stairs after all that!that is definitely a special workout! I need to borrow some of your mojo to jumpstart mine and get back into it full force. great job!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP