Looking for 2009...

Is it sad that I'm looking for the new year already? Jan. 1 2009 hopefully means a lot less stress in my life. Work is still consuming my life and I am struggling to stay on this 35 day challenge. Yesterday I had planned for a 3-4 mile run after work and when my boss schedules a 4:30 meeting I knew it wasn't going to happen. I settled for a 2 mile walk through our sky ways that connect 4 buildings. I bet I looked like a total goof because I put my Garmin on. Picture a guy in business casual dress wearing a HUGE ASS watch doing laps in the sky way. Tons of people do laps throughout the day, some (we call her crazy lady) even power walk the hell out of it. When I see her I feel like she should be wearing a speed suit and a sperm helmet.

2009 hopefully means less stress because budgets will be figured out, hopefully we will stop laying people off, I will be moved. Our company laid off a thousand people a few months ago and now we are laying off another thousand. I'm safe, thank God. But for how long, how many more rounds of lay offs will we have? Stupid greedy bastards!

They are moving my group to the north side of our floor, my team of 4 are the last ones on that side of the floor. They have been tearing down cubes and re-wiring in the ceilings to accommodate the new group that is moving in there. It is really distracting! All I hear is drill drill drill, hammer, bang, hammer, drop this, one guy yelling to another guy to pull that, drill drill drill.

Sometime this weekend I'm going to try to nail down some 2009 races and make a decision on weather to tri or not.

Begin rant...
I am not an economics major, but like everyone else I have my opinions on why we are in the crapper right now. EVERYONE'S GREED! Person 1 wants a house they can't afford. Person 2 wants a nice commission so they sell Person 1 a house they can't afford with a shitty mortgage plan that only allows them to pay for it for 3 years and then they get hosed when the fixed rate period is over. Person 2 doesn't care because they got their commission, and then they get another commission when Person 1 comes back in 2.5 years to refinance. EFF you Person 2! So many banks gave people loans they shouldn't have. The masses should be looking to bankers or guidance...not as a broker. Person 1 needs to really take a step back and chill the EFF out. Just because you wanted a house now doesn't mean you should have 1 now.

That brings me to Big Auto. You three CEO's (you know who you are) are arrogant pricks! None of you could raise your hand and sell 1 effing jet? Fly first class and save yourself around 19,000 per flight in the US. You aren't that important, you will most likely never get recognized, no one is going to try to kill you, you will save your company a SHIT TON of money over the long haul. Isn't that what your job is? Grow your company...so why the unnecessary spending? I work for a Fortune 100 company...WE ONLY HAVE 1 PRIVATE JET! You pricks each have 7 or 8....why?!? All 3 of your businesses have been loosing money for years, why did it take this long, why did you wait until d-day to make a plea for money? Why didn't you take drastic action years ago when foreign car makers were taking your business and not even offering a reach around?

I think big auto should go into Chapter 11! I know it means bad things for our economy but lets face it, these three businesses aren't going to get turned around with a little coin in their pocket that they WILL burn through by spring time. Chapter 11 means disbanding unions, restructuring, laying off workers. It means TONS of layoffs. It also means Big auto renegotiating the wages/benefits/etc of their employees. I believe compensation is a main reason why the big three can't stay competitive with foreign auto makers. Foreign auto makers had smaller cars, more fuel efficient, but they are also paying import taxes to bring their cars over here. Well, not Toyota who has some plants here in the US but still...this has been developing for a decade. You can't tell me no one saw the signs! This goes back to your company, your business...where were you flying your effing jet to that you weren't paying attention to the signs?!?

I say liquidate your inventory! Don't just lower the prices, give that shit away! Do whatever you can to free up cash, sell those jets. The first move should not be cutting workers and closing plants! Cut luxuries first, then liquidate inventory! You are in desperate times, cut your losses with the current inventory and start over. Mr. Mulally (Ford CEO) made 45 million dollars last year...how many employees would you not have to lay off with that kind of cash? You didn't do anything last year, your company is in the crapper, DON'T TAKE A BONUS! And why is your wife, children and guests flying Ford Motor Company jets without you? You made enough money to fly them first class you greedy bastard!

Survival of the fittest...the big three have been lazy..."you are the weakest link, Goodbye"...Chapter 11.

Rant over...

I hope everyone has a good weekend! I'm going to get in a long run this weekend and finish up at the St. Thomas track for some stairs with Steve and whoever else shows up. Holla!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (November 21, 2008 at 10:54 AM)  

I think you should personally go straighten out the auto execs. It does seem a lot simpler than they make it seems, doesn't it? Greed is definately at the root of this...

http://gokristen.wordpress.com  – (November 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM)  

Did I hear you mention a tri? Do it!
And yes, you your rant is very accurate-I agree 100%

Marcy  – (November 21, 2008 at 11:21 AM)  

Mr McG? Is that you? Are you in Borsch's blog? ;-) He's ranted about the same things over the past couple weeks.

Chad in the Arizona Desert  – (November 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM)  

I'm with you on wanting budget season over with - especially this year, in this economy.

You should start running the sky way. They can start calling you 'crazy dude.' That would be pretty cool.

Can't wait to hear all about the race plans for 2009.

Chic Runner  – (November 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM)  

Can't wait to see your races for next year. That's somthing positive to look forward too.

And I totally agree with you about the economy :( Unfortunatly wise decisions lately seem to lead to even stupider decisions. UGH.

Spandex King  – (November 21, 2008 at 2:55 PM)  

Great rant. Why should the taxpayers bail them out. They make a much better wage than any other industry! The Union already has said they won't take a cut. To hell with them! Let them sink!

Brooke  – (November 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM)  

I'm so impressed at you keeping at your challenge. Weather/work/"stuff" typically gets in the way of accomplishing goals like these. Great job!! And I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching you "power walk" through the skyways. :) And I'm taking your advice and getting on my bike this week! I'll let you know how it goes.

Colleen  – (November 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM)  

AMEN! Great rant!

And as for your life... hopefully the rest of the year goes quickly (and is enjoyable) and you can settle in fast in 2009.

I can picture you doing laps... that's awesome!

J~Mom  – (November 24, 2008 at 6:49 PM)  

I need to make decisions for 09 as well. It's taking me a while this year. So many races so little time. :>)

Rainmaker  – (November 24, 2008 at 9:18 PM)  

Awesome, I LOVE you rant. So very accurate....right on.

Ms. R  – (November 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM)  

If you work downtown MPLS, I've seen that crazy lady in the skyway! Have you seen Skyway Power Walker Dude? The one that wears a shirt and pants that are too small for him and drips sweat all over. He almost power walked me through a glass door!! CRAZY SKYWAY POWER WALKERS! Ok, that is my rant for the day...

Meg  – (December 2, 2008 at 12:23 PM)  

Catching up now...I understand your rant! It's so annoying living in MI where everyone is panicked about how bad the state is doing and how many people have and will be laid off. But that's what you get when the state relies on one industry with companies that haven't been innovative in decades.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP