Happy Thanksgiving!


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I did! My day started the way every lazy day should start...coffee and the paper. :-)





Eventually I decided to be productive and get things ready for the Thanksgiving meal. Did I mention I was nominated to make Thanksgiving dinner for the family. That would make me the first Borscheid man to make Thanksgiving. I got everything out on the counter and organized it. I brined the turkey the night before in a apple juice, orange juice, nutmeg, cloves, salt water brine. (I also made a pie the night before) Mmmmm...it smells good! I rinsed off the turkey and threw that birdy in the oven. Then I peeled all the potatoes and threw those in a pot of water to hang out until it was time to cookem up.

At this point I was bored...what's so tough about this cooking stuff? I went down stairs to clean up a bit and BAM!


The floor drain in the basement was overflowing. CRAP. Try to plunger it, wet/dry vac the water, plunger plunger, run the snake down it. Nothing was working. Eventually I had to get back to dinner and just told everyone that was showing up to not run any water.

My sister and Steph were helping in the kitchen at this point. I started the stuffing I was making on the top of the stove and the potatoes were ready to be mashed. We got those two things finished and I started on the glazed carrots and Steph started the gravy. At this point the turkey was done, time to carve. The kitchen was stacking up with knives, spoons, bowls, pots and pans, etc. Nothing could be washed or rinsed off so there was stuff stacking up everywhere. I was originally hoping to put someone on dish detail while things got wrapped up for lunch but that didn't happen. So my boring day got a little hectic. I had two CRAZY dogs running around. My cousin brought her 11 month old puppy over (full size lab) so we could dog sit while she went to her SO's. Our 2 year old German Shepard/husky mix was going crazy with this dog. They were running around constantly from the time we got him. They were playing tug of war, chasing each other and just wrestling. Those pups coupled with my two nieces, who want to get into every thing and the drain over flown down stairs definitely got rid of the boredom.

Somewhere in the midst of all this my mom showed up, with a turkey. Did I mention I was going to be the first Borscheid man to make Thanksgiving. She had to make a turkey and stuffing just in case mine didn't 'turn out'. We got everything set out ready to eat. It was all coming together. :-)

We prayed and sat down to eat. MMMMMM....I ate a lot! p.s. Everyone liked my turkey better. Sorry for the lack of pictures on the later part of the meal prep. things were getting a little crazy.

Eventually I called Roto Rooter to come clean out the drain....$238 and 15 min later we had running water. I was glad I was doing the right things to clean it out, my snake just wasn't long enough. So Steph and I got back to the millions of dishes and powered through those. After that I played with my two nieces and then sat on the couch watching Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.

I hope everyone had a great day!



I have to inform you that the "challenge" is over. In all of the meal prep and chaos I didn't get to get in a workout. I went for a 'long run' today but cut it short at 2.5 miles. For some reason I was freezing. I was wearing my normal winter running gear and I couldn't warm up, it was only 25 degrees. That isn't that cold to run in. I usually am cold for a few blocks and heat up quickly, but today was different. I blame all the pie. ;)

Stay tuned for a new challenge for December!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (November 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM)  

What a bummer about the downstairs drain on Thanksgiving day, but at least you got that worked out in the end.

Sounds like you did a great job with the turkey. For what it's worth, I commented that Husband's turkey and stuffing is better than my mom or grandma ever made. I think men who cook usually do it VERY well. :-)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (November 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM)  

Sorry about the mishaps, but glad it all turned out well.

FWIW, you should NEVER, under any circumstances, write the phrase "my snake just wasn't long enough".

That's like painting a target on your back!

Happy Thanksgiving, brother!

teacherwoman  – (November 28, 2008 at 8:50 PM)  

Nice job with thanksgiving!

Sorry, I wasn't so successful with the November challenge...but, I am very curious about December. Please tell! :)

Chic Runner  – (November 29, 2008 at 12:20 PM)  

Nice job with thanksgiving, how funny that your mom brought one too.

Hope the drain fixing stays up! :)

Brooke  – (November 29, 2008 at 8:18 PM)  

Funny that you don't think 25 degrees is "too cold". Heck, I complain when it gets in the low 40's here and think of any excuse I can to not get out and run! :) I must say I'm impressed with your cooking skills! I'm glad you had a fab Thanksgiving!

Marcy  – (November 30, 2008 at 6:56 AM)  

YAY Borsch!! Next year I'm going to have you come and cook our dinner :P

Suckage about the water issues. Never fun to deal with on a holiday.

Rainmaker  – (November 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM)  

"my snake just wasn't long enough. "

Uh-huh...TMI.

Chad in the Arizona Desert  – (December 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM)  

Wow, that was some kind of Thanksgiving you had. It's great that you were able to work your way through all of the challenges and still make it work out so well.

Awesome that your mother brought a spare turkey just in case. LOL!

Formulaic  – (December 1, 2008 at 12:46 PM)  

That was one hell of a Thanksgiving!

Sounds like you where able to pull it together.

Sorry to hear about the end of the challenge.

Take a few days of down time and then hope back into it!

J~Mom  – (December 1, 2008 at 5:59 PM)  

Sounds crazy!! Glad the food turned out!

Wes  – (December 2, 2008 at 8:13 AM)  

Dude! When it doubt, call in a professional! Great job with the turkey. Way to Borsch it!! I love it!! (and cooking).

Lauren  – (December 2, 2008 at 11:14 AM)  

Oh my! It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a crisis.

Hmm... so your mom brought a backup turkey? Sounds like lots of leftovers!

TRI TO BE FUNNY  – (December 2, 2008 at 12:16 PM)  

I like the fact that the words "overflow" and "crap" are next to each other. Happy Thanksgiving :-)

Meg  – (December 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM)  

I heard on NPR that plumbers get 50% more call volume the day after Thanksgiving because of clogged drains. Sounds like it worked out though!

Colleen  – (December 2, 2008 at 10:39 PM)  

I'm very impressed with your thankgiving meal! Glad that you got your drain fixed... sounds like a mess!

Missy  – (December 3, 2008 at 2:04 PM)  

You said snake...glad it all turned out and thanks mom for the back up bird! Ye of little faith...

Nat  – (December 8, 2008 at 7:22 PM)  

way to go with the t-day dinner!

Rural Girl  – (December 10, 2008 at 8:15 AM)  

I am so behind on blogs... but your turkey brine sounds awesome! Glad it came out well.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP