Gotta love PR's! Tesfa 5K

Lets start by saying today was a great day for anything outside in MN! Today was a perfect fall day.

Here are a few pics of the state park we were running at. The one on the left is the lake and the one on the right is one of the trails. Did I mention it was a picture perfect fall day; tons of color, leaves on the ground with a perfect running temp. right around 40. My cell phone camera really doesn't do it justice.










When I got to the race site I saw Steve right away, I went and picked up my race number and we were heading towards the start line. We both dropped some clothes at the start line and after a few words from the race director, director of the Tesfa foundation and an introduction of a young boy (maybe 5) who has selflessly been working to raise money for the organization. Within a few min we were underway, the small boy was right beside me...his enthusiasm was inspiring. I'm not sure if he ran the entire 5k but he was so excited he was going out at a 7:30 pace and sucking wind at mile 0.25. I don't know how he finished but I hope he had a good day!

The rest of my race we spent sucking wind, because I had no idea what my pace was until mile two. I missed the first mile marker and said what the heck just hold on to this pace and we will see where we are at whenever we see a mile marker. Around where mile 1 should have been I was passed by the director of the Tesfa foundation, after a few words about how great the weather, day and trails were he took off in front of me. I was shortly thereafter passed by a woman in her, ahhhh, IDK 70's? She was motoring along completely in control, she eventually passed the Tesfa director. The Tesfa director was my mark, keep him in my sights. I did that the entire way.

When I hit Mile 2 I looked down to see 15:23...hmmm. Are these miles in the right spot? I'm not a 7:40's guy. As soon as I saw that I knew this could be a PR day. Steve and I talked before the race about this not being a PR course. It is mostly flat, a few small rollers, but a little over a mile maybe a mile and a half is run on a packed gravel trail. Steve 'spins his wheels'. I'm not that fast so it worked to my advantage! I like that type of trail, I'm a larger guy and it provides a little bit of a cushion for me. I came down to Mile 3, hit my watch and saw 8:03 (23:26 total). Crap, I'm doing it...PR is in the bag. Keep in mind this entire race I felt like I was having an asthma attack. At the end Steve and I talked with Kat (spelling?), it was her first race, she said the course was so nice that she forgot she was supposed to be 'racing'. I didn't see most of the course, I was completely focused on breathing. At 0.2 and 2.9 (I think) there was a local drum core providing music, I saw them and kicked it home. Look how much air is under my feel...
Thanks for the photos Steve. If you weren't so fast we could take pics of you finishing. :P



Overall, it was a good day. I finished second in my age group...second only to Steve. This is a pretty small race, only 52 people but a fun one. Here are the final results...click on it to blow it up. I'll take a 24:05 any day! That is 50 seconds off my first 5k of the year and I've been training for slow and long! I can't wait to see that number drop this winter. :-)
Should we say 22 min?

Here is Steve and I after the race and since they had way too much stuff donated we made out like bandits. I literally went to grab a power bar or two and one guy just handed me a box of that and the Snickers Marathon bars.




After I found some food I went out in the yard to rake leaves, holy cow! I always forget how much of a workout that can be. I had 4 huge piles in the yard and bagged up 8 bags. I'm probably going to be sore tomorrow.

Steve Stenzel  – (November 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM)  

Ugg. Don't remind me - I need to rake.

SWEET job out there today! What a fun run without the ladies! Speaking of which, I wonder what they're doing right now. I miss mine.

And 22 sounds GREAT! Go for that!

Where was that 2nd photo taken? I don't remember those little rollers. Nice shot!

GREAT PR!

Rural Girl  – (November 1, 2008 at 5:50 PM)  

Congratulations, Borsch! Now, when are YOU signing up for NOLA? Soon I hope!

Borsch  – (November 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM)  

Ummm....Rural....I'm no half IM as my first tri!

IronMin  – (November 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM)  

CONGRATS! What a great run! You have inspired me to try to break my 10 minute miles. :)

M  – (November 1, 2008 at 8:37 PM)  

Whoa. I mean - WHOA. 24:05?

AWESOME.

I don't know what you've been doing, but dang, I need to get on that speed program, and shoot higher then my 10min/miles.

SO glad you had a great day, and the weather sounded perfect!

CoachLiz  – (November 1, 2008 at 9:19 PM)  

Congratulations on the PR this morning! Great Fred Flintstone costume!

Girl on Top  – (November 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM)  

So jealous! Great pace and now all that huffing and puffing was so dang worth it huh?

It's funny how during the race, I'm cursing myself and when I PR'ed, I'm like, "Man, that was so worth it!"

Great job, especially for coming in 2nd.

Marcy  – (November 2, 2008 at 4:17 AM)  

CONGRATS!! OMGosh before you know it you'll be giving Steve a run for his money ;-) SWEET JOB!!

Brooke  – (November 2, 2008 at 11:24 AM)  

Great job! I'm hoping to have the same type of results (a PR...but not nearly as fast as you!!) in my race in December! Here's to a fast winter!!

Ms. R  – (November 2, 2008 at 1:59 PM)  

Nice work this weekend! It has been a great weekend to race and to just be outside.

I'm still toying with the idea of the Winter Carnival 1/2...

teacherwoman  – (November 2, 2008 at 7:13 PM)  

Nice job on the race! Lookin' good!

That is a lot of raking... so, were you sore today?!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (November 3, 2008 at 6:15 AM)  

Hey, man, HUGE congrats on the PR in such an unfriendly (albeit beautiful) environment! Great pix, too. Minnesota must be a beautiful state in the Fall. Your pix remind me I gotta get out there some day. So many states, so little time.

I look forward to hearing about that 22-minute 5K. I'm sure it's just up ahead ...

Congrats again.

P.S. Good job on the yard work, too. Not enough people appreciate good yard work.

Jumper 2.0  – (November 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM)  

Excellent job Borsch!

You'll be having a few 5K pr's in the future.

LG  – (November 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM)  

Speedy! I want to get that fast -- nice job! can you come rake my yard? those piles were begging to be jumped in! last year i left all the leaves and would you believe, after all the snow melted they were still there in the spring..i'm very bad with lawn maintenance.

TRI TO BE FUNNY  – (November 3, 2008 at 3:46 PM)  

Nice Work Dude!! I'd say hooking up with that Speedo guy is a bad thing, but perhaps it's not :-)

Danica  – (November 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM)  

Just found your blog via Steve's congrats! :) Sounds like you enjoyed the race and a PR, nothing better! :)

Formulaic  – (November 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM)  

Nice job on the PR!

I hate that you can still smoke me on the run (and the bike probably the swim too).

Awesome time!

So...tell me again why you're not doing a tri yet? You should be doing the Silverman!

TriSaraTops  – (November 4, 2008 at 7:04 AM)  

Nicely done! Great job on the PR!

J~Mom  – (November 4, 2008 at 9:29 AM)  

Congratulations!!!!!!!

That is a ton of raking! YIKES! We don't do that here. ;>)

Rainmaker  – (November 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM)  

Holy cow - you made out like a bandit. Damn, you midwest folks know how to reel in the loot!

Congrats!

Meg  – (November 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM)  

Yay! Great job to both of you!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP