Borsch joins the 21st century of training

Last Thursday Christmas came early for this guy. I got home from work to see my new Garmin Forerunner 305 sitting on the door step. I was really happy it was there, mostly because the Fedex guy left a $300 package on the door step! I live in a nice neighborhood but seriously, who knows when someone will walk buy and just rip that package open.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. I'm excited to be able to train by heart rate, distance, pace, etc. Thus far I mostly guess at distances or mapmyrun and just go run trying to stick to a set pace. Thursday I did the setup, attached the bike sensor and quick mount to my bike (which is sadly on a trainer for the next few months). I made sure everything was running right and left it at that. Friday I got home from work early and decided to sneak in a 3 mile run before meeting up with some friends for apps and taps. I've had one run with this guy on my arm and man, I didn't know how much my heart rate changed with inclines. I knew it did somewhat but never let it really slow me down.

So I started on the three miles, I tried to keep from looking at my new watch every ten seconds and just keep a good pace. My whole area is rolling hills, it gets kind of annoying! Here is a little graphic of how my HR mimicked the elevation changes. The top line is HR (red) the middle line is elevation (green) and bottom line is pace (blue). The two peaks are the two stop lights I hit. But it is amazing, my pace was really steady and my HR followed the elevation change exactly. I'm really going to enjoy looking into some of this workout data when I get more of it. I'm kind of a data geek.


I'd like to ask you all a question...Saturday I was frustrated with my mom and sister, arguing about the outcome of the election, that I just had a huge headache. I wanted to go for a quick run and just get some frustration out, I made it 3 blocks before I walked back and laid in bed the rest of the afternoon. My head hurt so bad it put me out of commission the entire afternoon. The question to all of you is...is my 35 day challenge busted because I didn't get in my work out that day?

Later today I'm going to collect some HR/speed/dist. data on the bike. :-) I'm super excited to join the 21st century and train with more information....now I just need to get someone to pony up for the rest of my Christmas list.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! and to those who are racing.....GO GO GO!


Way to go VIKES!

teacherwoman  – (November 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM)  

Sounds like a great early Christmas gift! Too cool!

BTW, I just had to laugh at your comment of your bike being on the trainer for the next FEW months. LOL.

Marcy  – (November 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM)  

Oooooo I thought you already had a Garmin LMAO! I was thinking it was going to be some techy device for the bike (although yes, you can use Garmin for the bike as well LOL)

M  – (November 9, 2008 at 7:43 PM)  

I would say that you did not break your deal - you got a minimal workout in, and bowed out for a physical reason - and not because you were being lazy or whatever. when you body says to stop, you stop.

You know, I have having MASSIVE headaches all week - today I almost had to take a nap too. Hmmm...maybe I need more sleep or something.

LG  – (November 10, 2008 at 8:50 AM)  

Yay! The perfect piece of technology for a data junkie. Running and biking will be a totally new experience for you now.

But did it really take 3 boxes to ship that stuff?? Are you sure you are not holding out on another super secret toy?

As for the workout -- technically you did work out -- you got dressed and left the house for 3 blocks - so you probably burned 5 - 10 calories - that's a workout - a crappy one, but one nonetheless in my book ;)

Chad in the Arizona Desert  – (November 10, 2008 at 10:43 AM)  

I have a 305 and love it. I think you are really going to like it.

For a streak, a run is a run, so I think you are still good.

Nicole  – (November 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM)  

laying in bed doesn't count as a workout?! Here I've been riding the couch and counting it as my recovery ride for weeks...wow no wonder the coach is mad! 10 minute run is a run in my book. Congrats on the Garmin...so glad you went with the 305...I'm addicted to mine, love to program the workout in, and then look at the data after. I especially love downloading it into sports tracks and looking at my routes via google earth. The best part is that you never have to do a track workout on the track ever again. Enjoy...let santa know I want the wheels and power tap too!

Steve Stenzel  – (November 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM)  

Yeah, I could see geeking out over those numbers - I hear ya!

How did the Vikes do that?...

Rainmaker  – (November 10, 2008 at 9:10 PM)  

Awesome. I love love love my 305. You should definitely download (for free) Sport Tracks - it's so much better than the default Garmin software.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (November 10, 2008 at 10:52 PM)  

congrats on your garmin. now you can become addicted to data, like so many of us!

And I think you did a work out that day, just not the workout you had planned. so carry on!

Meg  – (November 11, 2008 at 2:09 PM)  

Awesome! I don't know how you trained so much this year without a Garmin!
I'd say you didn't ruin your challenge at all. Didn't you say some would be light workouts? I think if you get yourself out the door and you don't feel well, at least you tried.

Colleen  – (November 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM)  

You'll love the Garmin! Go to www.motionbased.com and upload everything there. It's free and by far the best tool out there for your 305!!!

Danica  – (November 12, 2008 at 6:38 PM)  

Wow, A garmie! I'm jealous! Hope you like it, and it helps you out in training, and no, your 35 day challenge isn't ruined!

J~Mom  – (November 14, 2008 at 10:44 PM)  

Sweet new Garmin!! I have the 301 and it is making it's last stand. Hopefully I can upgrade to a 305 soon! Hope you are feeling better!

Lauren  – (November 20, 2008 at 9:56 AM)  

it is nice to do heart rate training....
but after awhile....
you'll enjoy going WITHOUT it occasionally.

The battery in my HRM has been dead for well over a week now, and I've been too lazy to replace it.

freeeedommmmm

Greg  – (December 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM)  

The 305's a great, great unit, but be warned about calories. It doesn't use the HRM to calculate calories at all, it only uses time & distance. So while you can see your heart rate and how hard you're working, the calories burned will be way off.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP