What's Next?


My finishers pic from last weeks marathon.

This next pic does wonders for telling how I was feeling at mile 26.


Here are a couple other pics of me crossing the line.




















Ok, now on to the good stuff. What is on the agenda for the rest of 2008 and going into 2009? Lets start by examining my goals for 2008....

My 2008 goals...

  • Lose weight (20 pounds) - 1 pounds to go as of last Monday morning
    I'm pretty sure this swung the other way this week. We'll find out tomorrow morning. But I had a weekend filled with beer, pumpkin bars, cakes and pies. Mmmmmm...
    EDIT - I weighed 227 this morning. That means 2 pounds until goal weight. Lets see if I can do that this week. :-)
  • Run a sub 25 min 5K CHECK
  • Run a sub 24 min 5K (added this after 25 min was achieved in first 5k of the year)
  • Run a sub 2 hour half marathon CHECK
  • Finish a Century Ride CHECK
  • Run a marathon CHECK
I have just a few things left to check off this year. A long time ago I said this was going to be the summer of speed...ummm...I think I went the other way on that one (first marathon and first century ride). Having accomplished those items I think I'm going to make this winter the winter of speed. My plan is to hit the running speed workouts hard, push some spin classes to the max and try to keep a 10 mile long run base.

I have an informal challenge or two at the 13.1 distance. I need to hit the 1:55 mark to beat Pharmie's PR, but I think I need to get down to 1:45 to keep LittleMissSunshine at bay.

So...2009 is probably going to be a year of speed. I need to shoot for 8 min miles on the run and I'd like to get consistent 21+mph bike averages. I'm still uncertain if I'll hit the water and join most of you in the "TRI" world. I'm mainly uncertain because if I do I have that feeling that a half IM could end up on the agenda. I'm not sure I want to do the endurance thing next summer, I'm thinking I want a summer with less commitments to training. Training for the marathon and the 100 mile bike ride really meant every weekend this summer was focused on a long run or bike. So...to tri or not to tri? That might be the question for 2009.

NEW TOY TIME! :-)
Here is my new trainer...





I'd like to leave you all with some pics of my two nieces. I took the girls to the pumpkin patch on Saturday so their mom could clean her classroom and run errands. They are SUPER CUTE so drink it in....



IronMin  – (October 12, 2008 at 10:38 PM)  

Love the pics! What a year of accomplishment too...you deserve the beer AND the pumpkin bars. :) I like your new goals - I would like to get faster too. It will be fun to check in on your progress as you become a speed demon.

J~Mom  – (October 13, 2008 at 12:29 AM)  

Great pictures!!! Sweet new toy you got there! I love your bike since I have a Specialized also...I just have a special place in my heart for them. LOL

teacherwoman  – (October 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM)  

Love all the pictures! You have accomplished so much this year! Congrats to you and all your hard work you have put into your training. I can only imagine what 2009 will look for you and your goals!

Steve Stenzel  – (October 13, 2008 at 7:56 AM)  

Mmmm...pumpkin bars.

And I don't know if you've heard, but it does more good to have your trainer inside rather than out on the drive way. It gets cold in here. Just saying. ;)

LG  – (October 13, 2008 at 7:59 AM)  

What a list of goals with all the checks next to them - I love it!!

C'mon - you know you want to do a tri - it's been flirting with you! You can pick one for the middle of the summer, then you'll still have plenty of weekends left to "play" in august/september....peer pressure, peer pressure!

Marcy  – (October 13, 2008 at 8:21 AM)  

Ooooo those are great pics homie! You're right, they ARE telling. Don't we all feel that way the last mile LOL

Sounds like you had a most excellent 2008 ;D And here's to the winter of speed!

M  – (October 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM)  

Uh, the only thing NOT accomplished this year appears to be solving world hunger, but hey - had to leave something for 2009, yeah?

Just kidding - but wow, what a year! I would say that fast on long were surely accomplished!!

Meg  – (October 14, 2008 at 10:41 AM)  

Great pictures and nice job on your goals this year!!
Your nieces are cuties, I love the fat baby face at the end.

Spandex King  – (October 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM)  

How did I not know you had a blog? I've ready about you on Speedo Steve's blog for the last year. Great race!

Colleen  – (October 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM)  

The girls are way too cute!!!

As for you accomplishing your goals - way to go. That's really impressive that you were able to check so many things off of your "to do" list this year.

I definitely think you should take the plunge into tri's - just don't commit to a half. See if you like it... I'm almost positive that you'll be addicted! And it's so much better on your knees! :)

Formulaic  – (October 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM)  

Way to finish your goals!

This winter could be the perfect time to hit the p90x.

Get riped while everyone is getting fat.

(Actually, I really want to hear how it works so that I can do it too!)

Pharmie  – (October 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM)  

That last pic of your niece is ADORABLE. It's SO on for the half. If you're going to break my PR, I'll just have to set a new one!

Borsch  – (October 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM)  

Ok. Pharmie...you set a new one and I'll break it. :-)

The (IRON) Clyde  – (October 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM)  

You want that 1:55 half marathon?

Green Bay is the place to do it...

http://www.cellcomgreenbaymarathon.com/

Flat, fast course, shade all along the route, great spectator support....

Let me know, I'm in either way, I do it every year. (The half, not the full - Clydes division too!!)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (October 14, 2008 at 10:33 PM)  

You've really done a great job with your goals, checking almost all of them off!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP