Time for Change!

That seems to be a common theme around the country lately. However, I'm thinking about it on a smaller scale....just me. I need change! I need to take control of my life again. The week after the marathon I was on a high. The stress and weight on my shoulders of this looming race, this big unknown was gone. I was lovin' being able to go for a 3 mile run and call it a good day. Pace didn't matter, HR didn't matter...nothing mattered. It was just me and 3 miles of road. Over the past two weeks I haven't seen that road. I haven't seen the bike studio, I haven't seen my bike or the trainer I just bought for it. I've let work control my life. I've let "The Man" tell me he needs this by the end of the day or week or whatever and I've just smiled and put in the extra time. Not having worked out in two weeks is killing me, I'm stressed and harboring anxiety about work issues. Let me say this once, for all to hear (well read)....I'M DONE! Today is the day I take my life back. I'm going to get back to basics and challenge myself.

My plan going forward is to try and better myself physically and mentally. I'm going to challenge myself, and anyone who wants to join me, to the following:

  • Work out every day until the end of November.
    35 days of nothing but making my body better, healthier and stronger. Now I'm not talking I have to run every day, lift every day. I just mean I'm going to run, bike, lift, spin, stretch, ect every day. Yes, ten min of stretching is going to count as a work out because I feel that your body benefits from stretching.

    I've put on some weight since the marathon, due to not working out and stress, so I'm going to build on my earlier stated goal of getting faster. I want to get stronger, it has been almost a year exactly since I started the running longer because I hurt my shoulder lifting. A year ago today I could bench 315 pounds, weighing 250. One day I over did it and hurt my shoulder, a lingering football injury, and started running farther than 3 miles because I felt like I needed to make up for not lifting. I was easily addicted to pushing myself farther. So this winter, faster and stronger. I'm not talking about bulking up, just start hitting the weights again.

    I also want to put on a compression shirt and NOT have the words "muffin" or "top" come to mind. I have done almost no core workouts since I started marathon training this spring. Today is day number 1 or abs, wish me luck.

    To sum up the working out every day category:35 straight days of bettering my body
  • No TV until the end of November.
    Ok, with this being football season I would like to reserve the option to watch tv and/or football in a social setting. I'm basically stating this because I tend to stay up late watching crappy tv for no reason. I also have some books on my night stand I never get through because I stay up later than I should watching crappy tv shows and when I get to bed and crack the book open I'm out in a page or two. So I'm going to leave the tv off, except for social or football reasons, until the end of November. By doing this I'm hoping to get through a few books and say hello to my pillow at a reasonable time each night. This one is going to be really tough for me...I almost always have the tv on for back ground noise.
So...anyone who wants to join me with 35 straight days of bettering your body or 35 straight days of shutting off the tube and getting back to basics let me know.

teacherwoman  – (October 27, 2008 at 9:02 PM)  

35 days is a long time with no tv... and NCAA basketball is going to start soon. Can I atleast watch my Tarheels?! LOL. I would love you join you in this challenge, but I just don't think it will happen... maybe the 35 days of working out... I can do that!

J~Mom  – (October 27, 2008 at 10:53 PM)  

WHAT? I was with you until the no TV thing. LOL!

As for the exercise...I went 30 days in a row in June and loved it! I told myself it had to be 20 minutes in order to count. There were several days that I forced myself out the door for a 20 minute power walk and couldn't believe the difference it made! Have fun with it!!

Marcy  – (October 28, 2008 at 6:13 AM)  

I'm with you on the no tv thing. I should do this as well (I probably won't though :P) I can't even tell you how many times I've been sucked into CRAP movies or programs and stay up wwwaaayyy past my bedtime *sigh*

Brooke  – (October 28, 2008 at 9:27 AM)  

I'll join from Texas! At least with the working out part. Can I add eating "perfect" to my challenge - I don't watch all that much TV these days so eating what I should be eating is a much bigger/better challenge for me!

I know you are thinking, who the heck is this girl, but I really enjoy reading your blog and was so excited for you and the marathon! Good luck on your next 35 days!

triguyjt  – (October 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM)  

i know its kinda insane for me to make this request since I happen to work in the business...but I always feel when I am attacking those books on the nightstand and spending more time flipping the pages of a book versus staring at the boob tube...the stress is less and I see to be able to handle the other aspects of each day....working out... eating better..
now if I can just get off the blogs and facebook..i'll be fine..haha
good luck borsch

Kelly  – (October 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM)  

Sounds like a great plan! One that could benefit at lot of us I think. I'm willing to try. I have been in a slump lately and was just thinking that I have to do something everyday even if it is a 20 minute walk or 20 minutes of stretching. Just SOMETHING.

Now, the TV thing doesn't apply to me since I don't really watch t.v. except football on Saturday and my problem is not staying up late but staying up long enough to exercise :-)

Pharmie  – (October 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM)  

Thirty five days is a lot, but it's not going to make you fast enough! I'm gonna kick your butt this next year. If you're throwing down the gauntlet, IT'S SO ON!! :)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (October 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM)  

Sounds like a great plan. TAKE CONTROL! BETTER YOUR BODY!!

I'd joing in, but I feel like I'm cheating. I'm focussing on knee rehab right now, and that means I can't do some of the stuff that I want to do to better my body. booooo!!!

Rainmaker  – (October 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM)  

Nice plan! I hear ya on watching random garbage TV for no good reason. In many ways I've found having a Tivo actually cuts down on that as I just watch what i really want to watch - and even then I rarely catch up on everything and mostly just do it sitting on a trainer.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

M  – (October 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM)  

Man, you are positive.

I jsut did this whole post about feeling like I have no control,a nd then I flip over there, and you are all, "Let's take back some control!"

So I figure - hey, this must be a sign. I'm in.

And in response to your comment - I would SOOOO road trip it out there on the cheap gasoline, but I fear my poor little Hyundai might not be able to finish the whole trip. OH, but wouldn't it be fun! Got any other races coming up that I can plan for?

TRI TO BE FUNNY  – (October 29, 2008 at 7:59 AM)  

Damn--I'm glad I'm not your kid?!?! :-) Just make sure you're having fun while you're putting all of these rules on yourself. Life's too short for deprivation!!

IronJenny  – (October 29, 2008 at 8:26 AM)  

OK - I'm in. for the workout thing anyway. I can't give up Survivor, though. Sorry - I hae standards, ya know.
I need to lose weight and mean it. Today I start at 160.6 pounds. At 5'9" and fairly strong, I can and should weigh 150 - 155.
Wish ME luck!
Re: gaining weight after big long races - I think that's extremely common. In my explanation, your Body says, "oh, I know what you're doing - burning 500 to 1000 calories almost every day... sometimes more. So I'm going to take the calories you give me and make them last long because, well, sometimes you go long, and I can't have you passing out and stuff 'cause if you fall down it's me that's gonna get hurt."
So for me, sometimes I will weigh 5 pounds extra for 4 or 6 weeks after race day, then one day it just disappears. Kind of like my Body says, "Oh. OK. You're not doing that long workout stuff anymore so I can stop being so conservative on how I burn your calories."
Actually, just in the last couple days I lost 4 pounds that I was holding onto after my fall marathons. But I need to lose 5 or 10 MORE.

Steve Stenzel  – (October 29, 2008 at 9:37 AM)  

The TV thing's a good idea. I'm the same way. When it's off, I'm a better person.

And I'll see you at Tesfa!! I don't think I'm really "dressing up." Maybe just some obnoxious socks, but nothing extreme. See ya there!!

The (IRON) Clyde  – (October 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM)  

How about watching TV while on your trainer? You don't have to be SO drastic, do you?

Meg  – (October 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM)  

Those are some great plans! I don't really watch TV since I cut off cable in Sept, but I don't read either...still, I don't get stuck staying up watching stuff I really don't care about, so it's probably a good habit to get you in bed earlier.
Good luck!

LG  – (October 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM)  

Okay -- I'm in...but starting in 2 days - -Nov 1st. That's when "LG the big loaf on the couch shoveling candy corn into her mouth" officially ends and I get back to hitting the gym.

so, I'm with you on the working out -- however, I will substitute TV (b/c I agree about watching it on the trainer, and I don't really watch TV just use it for background noise, and I read in bed before turning out the light)...so I will substitute TV for EATING HEALTHY -- no more ice cream, no more candy corn, balanced meals...bring on the veggies and trail mix again!

M  – (October 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM)  

so i am already trying the once a day thing, and it seems to be working. now if only november can get here and i can do it for real...

i work a lot from home, and have started keeping the tv off for most, of not all of the day (thanks to the election, i have no desire to hear any more news or opinions on it) and its really not bad. moer time for reading!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP