Team Tighty-Whities Snatched Gold!

The day started with an early wake up call…like 5:30 ‘ick! I went down stairs; grabbed a bowl of cereal and some water. Before I knew it, Steve and I were ready to go and Matt was on his way. We loaded some things in the car, got the bikes loaded up and we were off with Steph (our awesome photographer for the day) in tow. As soon as we got to the race site we went to pick up our packets, get body marked and hit up the rest rooms. After that we went to get the bikes ready and set up in transition. Then we had some time to kill so I went for a quick warm-up ride (about 2 miles) and everything felt great!

I got back in transition, got ‘dressed’ and took a few pre race photos. Before I knew it Steve and Matt (Matt was doing the race solo) were toeing the starting line. After standing in transition for a while I noticed that my speedplays might get gunked up a bit, and they did! I took my multi-tool out, dug some dirt out of them and thought I was good to go. Little did I know, running out of transition packed them back up with some dirt and sand. I couldn’t clip in! I tried banging my shoe against the pedal, I even stopped to stomp them on the ground and that didn’t seem to work. So I rode 20.6 miles old school style, not clipped in. This wasn’t a big problem for most of the race, there were a few hills I wished was able to pull up on the pedal. The first 5 miles were pretty much uphill with a head wind. My plan was to take it easy on this for this first 5 miles, pick it up the next 5 and hammer it home the last 10. I stuck to my game plan the whole race! It felt great! Mile 10-15 had some decent rollers but nothing that killed me. I just kept the other bikers I went out with in sight, well some of them. Steve ran a great first 5K which put me in the top 20 starting the bike (of all waves), I think.

We started in wave 4 (3 min after wave 1) and Steve came in just 4 min behind the elites who started in wave 1. He is crazy fast! Somehow I kept up with most of those athletes for most of the first half, probably because I’m a decent hill climber. I’m not saying I’m strong but I can power up some hills, and if I’m feeling good I’m not going to slow down too much. Basically everyone who passed me did so in the first 5 miles (the rest of the elites)…after that maybe 2 or 3 people flew by on my left. I thought my day was going to be much worse since I couldn’t clip in. I occasionally tried to hammer them on to the pedals but never had any luck. My guess is that I slipped off the pedals 6-10 times after the first few miles, it took a little bit to get used to not being clipped in. Coming up on the 15 mile sign we hit a small hill and I passed the 2nd place female. I smiled and said hi as I went by. This is when I really started to hammer it home, we were on a nice road with the wind at our back, I was cruising along for two or three miles above 30 mph…I love that feeling! There was a few min when I was wishing I didn’t have a compact crank, the wind and down hills were screaming for me to go faster but I had no gears left. Before I knew it I was coming back into town, really hammering it home. I saw the 20 mile sign and knew the bike must be short, it was supposed to be a 22 mile bike. I could see I was getting closer to the end of town we started on and really pushed hard. I blew by Steph at 25-27 mph feeling great, and she still got a good photo of me sucking wind. I rounded the corner and spotted transition, and Steve chatting it up with another team not paying attention. I jumped off my bike while it was still moving, easy to do while not clipped in, and ran into transition. Before I knew it Steve was off and I saw a nice number on my bike computer. One I hadn’t seen all year.

For a semi-hilly course, not being clipped in I road a 20.2 average (according to my bike computer). I had 1:01:37 on my computer; the official time was 1:00:32 (if you do the actual math, 20.6 miles at 1:00:32 gives me a 20.4 mph). I’m guessing the min difference, between actual and my computer, was running in and out of transition. My goal for today was to break that twenty mph mark. It made me happy I did it, but I do wonder if I could have hit that 21 mph mark if I had been able to attack some hills being clipped in. I looked through the bike splits, out of 327 people I had the 24th fastest bike. I know it isn’t fair to compare to people who ran a 5k prior to biking, but it’s my blog and I’m going to! :P I didn’t crack the top 10 percent for bike splits, but came damn close (10.5%)!

As for our team numbers…..(the ranks are for the team relay competition, #1 in every area that counts)






Run 1: 00:17:40.0 1st
Transition 1: 00:00:27.9 7th
Bike: 01:00:32.0 1st
Transition 2: 00:00:20.4 3rd
Run 2: 00:05:22.2 1st
Total: 01:24:22.7 1st



Last year’s (also the first year of this event) team competition winners finished at 1:32:26…Steve and I NOW hold the Team Relay course record by 8 min. Just thought you wanted to know. :)

All in all it was a good day! Matt took 3rd in the Clydesdale division so everyone took home some hardware. After that we it was time for pizza and football…..HAPPY HAPPY DAY!

Ok….now that I made you wait here are some photos from the day. Check out Steve’s blog for his side of the story. :)




All of us pre race...


Yes, we really posed like that pre-race. We were 'those guys'...
...and it was a great time!


Steve finishing the first run...


I'm running out of transition so fast the camera can't keep up...


Me sucking wind finishing the bike...


Posing for the local paper...


Our trophy! My first piece of hardware! Supposedly another one is in the mail so we both get one...



This is why Pharmie spends her Friday nights with me...

Some people just can't resist the temptation to "lay some pipe" with their brother-in-law.

Steve Stenzel  – (September 29, 2008 at 7:05 AM)  

You know how I know you're gay? Your helmet looks like a sperm.

Nice report! That sucks about not being able to clip in. Boo. But way to break 20 mph regardless!!!!

Marcy  – (September 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM)  

CONGRATS homie!! You guys kicked butt! ;D ;D

Lauren  – (September 29, 2008 at 9:26 AM)  

congrats guys! looks like you had a blast AND kicked some rear.

Danielle in Iowa  – (September 29, 2008 at 9:33 AM)  

Nice job! Oh but totally sucky about the clips! You and Steve must be jinxed since I have never heard of anyone having that problem before...

The (IRON) Clyde  – (September 29, 2008 at 11:21 AM)  

Way to effing take no prisoners Brotha, very impressive.

You're looking beefcake too, no not in a gay way, just saying, keep up with the weight progress.

Formulaic  – (September 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM)  

That my friend was an awesome pic. I think that you should crop it and make it your blog pic!

Way to go on the bike, you beat your bike goal and crushed the old race time.

Hardware! Sweet!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (September 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM)  

Woot! Way to tear up the course and bring home the big trophy!!

teacherwoman  – (September 29, 2008 at 6:38 PM)  

Okay, first of all... like I told Steve... I so had a feeling that you guys were going to place first. However, I never imagined you doing that kind of speed for that distance... all while struggling with your clips! WOW! You guys totally rocked that race and I would have loved to have seen the reactions of others in regards to your sweet outfits! LOL! :)

Meg  – (September 29, 2008 at 6:54 PM)  

Congratulations! That's awesome, I enjoyed the pics on both yours and Steve's sites. I wonder if it annoyed people they were beat by a couple guys in tighty whities?

Colleen  – (September 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM)  

Way to go to both of you! I loved the race report and pictures!!!

M  – (September 30, 2008 at 4:46 PM)  

One word: Hotness.

'Nuff said.

Karen  – (September 30, 2008 at 5:12 PM)  

I never thought that tighty-whities could be so... well... hot!

Next race--- team, "wife beater"..

Steve Stenzel  – (October 1, 2008 at 7:24 AM)  

Just making sure you've seen (and are OK with) the photo on my blog of me checking out your package. Steph laughed a lot.

Kim  – (October 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM)  

i cannot believe you biked without being clipped in. you are assmazing!

J~Mom  – (October 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM)  

I am cracking up at you guys!!! You are brave!!!!!! Congrats!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP