T - minus 19

So we are getting super close to D-Day, 19 days. I’m glad to be running again! Last week I got in a strong 6.5 miles for my first run back. Friday morning I went out for 8 miles at a comfortable pace…or what I thought was a comfortable pace. My finishing time was 1:11, that is sub 9 min miles (8:52)! For me, that is smoking fast! My normal, easy pace, is 9:40 – 10:00 min miles. The last time, correction, only time I have run 8 miles even close to that was my half marathon PR last month. In that race I only clipped off 8 miles at a 9:10 – 9:15 pace. And during the half I was working, Friday I felt in control and comfortable. How do you take 3 weeks off and come out stronger than ever?!? Does hard biking for 3 weeks really translate to those kinds of gains in such a short period of time? I had splits from 8:07 to 9:15, most were around the 8:45 – 8:50 time frame. I’m baffled, yet not complaining.

I’ve got a 15 mile run on the schedule for day. I was supposed to get that in this weekend but didn’t feel like doing it in the cold rain while bogged down with Kit Kats in my belly. I’m hoping some of my luck from last week caries over! Next weekend is another 20 mile run/wedding weekend. The same equation that ended in stress fractures of my foot last time. I have to find a time to either do the 20 miles before or after the wedding. It doesn’t help that it is 4 hours away. I might just have to lay low at the wedding and try to get back for a Sunday evening run. Pharmie…are you in?


Pharmie’s eyes only…no stalkers please
Should we go from your place down Summit and back for 10, stop at your place for water/food. Then do River Road and back for 10? We can simulate race day with those bastard hills up to Summit.


On the weight loss front I’m finally making progress in the right direction, even though I had a bad weekend with tons of candy and crap! I went camping this past weekend, we got rain all day Saturday…so what else do you do, eat the junk food in the tent while you play cards, sleep and then go into town for a greasy small town restaurant dinner. Am I on the right track after a month and a half slump? I hope so!

Beg...245

Week 7…234
Week 8...???
Week 9...232
Week 10...232
Week 11...233
Week 12…233
Week 13…230! 5 pounds to go!

Pharmie  – (September 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM)  

I should give you a call.. I can run Friday AM starting at 4 AM. Are you in for a 3:30 alarm clock? Otherwise I could go after work Friday PM, but we'd be running till well after 10 since I don't get off till 6. Option C is running Sunday. Lemme know what works. I may be able to try to switch out of my 9:30-6 shift Friday, but nobody wants that one :(

My vote is all river road, out and back. The hills going up to summit feel pretty nasty by then, so it's good practice, and I can point out the fun/hard parts of the course.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (September 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM)  

good job on your weight.

i've had strange results after taking extended breaks from cycling and/or running - seems I always do better than I expected in those cases. Maybe there's something to be said for rest...

Formulaic  – (September 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM)  

Nice run!

Isn't it great to take sometime off and have GREAT results?

Those biking miles must have added up to some serious aerobic improvement.

Good luck on the run front. I need to get my butt in gear and start running too.

I have a marathon coming up early Dec. What plan did you follow?

Steve Stenzel  – (September 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM)  

Now I'm going to stalk you on your run!...

M  – (September 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM)  

YAY!! Well done! But I just read Pharmie's comment and a 4AM run?

Good lord.

Meg  – (September 15, 2008 at 9:53 PM)  

Nice run! I guess the break from running and extra biking helped a lot! I think your marathon is the week before mine...which means mine is in 26 days. Crap!

Colleen  – (September 15, 2008 at 10:24 PM)  

Wow... sub 9's are awesome!!! Looks like the rest time just let you get better! Keep it up and hope you see the same kinds of results on those longer runs!

And congrats on the weight loss... I know how hard it can be sometimes and you're doing awesome!

Marcy  – (September 16, 2008 at 7:45 AM)  

WOW!! Awesome job!!

Yeah I don't know about the whole doing better after rest thing. I've had it happen as well . . .hmmmmm

J~Mom  – (September 16, 2008 at 10:53 AM)  

I had to read the note to Pharmie, sorry. :>)

You are doing great!!

Lauren  – (September 16, 2008 at 2:51 PM)  

woo progress! so, I see that your run was scheduled for 15 miles, but there are 18 on your counter. hmm. maybe you should provide your public with a training update?

LG  – (September 16, 2008 at 7:23 PM)  

There's nothing like running on fresh legs!! Great job!!

please tell me you are not really going to run at 4 AM -- K-R-A-Z-Y.

if the wedding is 4 hours away and you need to run 20 miles, why don't you just take a nice easy run to the wedding?? ;)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP