So…20 miles. I thought someone told me that was supposed to be tough.

JK JK
IT HURT and at the end I was ready for it to be over! But at the same time I was expecting it to be worse since this was gonna be on the marathon course with hills I’ve never seen at those distances yet. All of my runs over 15 miles up to Friday had been in pretty much flat locations. Pharmie and I left her place and ran miles 22 – 13.5 along the course backwards, added in a detour to a S.A. station, then ran miles 11 – 22 of the marathon and headed back to her house. We basically were planning on simulating the biggest section of hills, 20-23, as much as possible. We hit them around 16 – 19…so just a few miles different than when we will hit them on race day.

At the start of the run we were both a little skeptical about the weather, it had just rained before we started and was a little humid with temps between 79* (start of the run) and 73* (end of the run). Not idea to start your run right around 80 and humid ( for us Minnesotans ), we both came to terms with the weather quickly and just focused on the task at hand….run 20 miles.
*According to weather.com

I gotta say, that my legs were hurting. Right at the beginning I was feeling the lingering effects of having run 18 miles 4 days prior. I had a little tightness in my left IT band and my right quad. I was able to stretch them out a little every time we stopped to grab water, which helped, but I think basically maintained that level of tightness and didn’t let it get worse. Sporadically I had some calf twinges but I kept pumping the enduralytes and everything was just fine, no locking up.

After talking to a few people after the 18 mile run (mostly Pharmie) I decided to bring a Powerbar on this run. Normally I relied on Gels, Shotblocks and Gatorade for my calories. She suggest Powerbars for some fats and proteins. I don’t like them! After holding them in a sweaty hand for hours, mushing it up, it just tastes like crap to me. But I’m thinking I have to force 1 if not 2 down on race day to give myself the best chance not to ‘bonk’.

So all in all, the run went GREAT! I finished it, no major issues and I’m totally gonna rock this marathon. Well lets go with finish this marathon and we will see what the day brings. I’ve seen people train really hard and have really bad days so I’m going into this with the idea of crossing the finish line. If I’m feeling GREAT, like the 18 mile run last Monday, at mile 13 or later I’ll push it in. But for now, the plan is to ‘auto pilot’ the first half and see what the day brings.



A question to all you Clydes out there!
What is your nutrition plan? Do you consume as many calories as I do? I'm just over 6 foot and weigh 230. I haven't had a chance to exchange nutrition notes with other athletes my size. For this 20 miler I ate 620 calories in food (2 gels, powerbar and partial pack of shot blocks) and drank 300 – 400 more calories in Gatorade. What do you do?

teacherwoman  – (September 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM)  

So, um, you did an 18-miler 4 days before your 20-miler? Crazy! Glad to hear the run went GREAT overall! :)

Pharmie  – (September 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM)  

Thanks again for keeping me company! Maybe I'll try to keep up with you in two weeks :)

Danielle in Iowa  – (September 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM)  

So I'm not a Clyde, but dang I always get hungry when I am out on 18-20 mile runs. I think probably because gels don't really satisfy hunger. So I would cut up a Clif bar into bite size pieces and put them in a baggie and then alternate them with Gus. Then at least my stomach wouldn't be grumbling! (I can't eat them in big bites because they just sink to the bottom of my stomach).

Anyway, if you can do an 18 followed by a 20 4 days later, you are totally set for this thing!

J~Mom  – (September 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM)  

I did a ton of research on this when trying to figure out what to bring along for bike rides. Of course now I can't remember but I think it's around 200-300 cals an hour. I am going to have to look it up again. LOL That was helpful, huh?

Maggs  – (September 23, 2008 at 2:32 AM)  

good job on the run. I'm not a clydesdale, but I eat a lot when I run. I can handle 300 calories an hour, but some people can't. It's best to figure out how much you can handle and eat that amount. You're burning way more!

Marcy  – (September 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM)  

Great job on that 20 miler! I'm not a Clydesdale either but can totally relate to being hungry on the longer runs. Although packing extra gels usually does the trick for me.

Steve Stenzel  – (September 23, 2008 at 4:02 PM)  

Yeah, Powerbars aren't always delicious, but they get the job done. Just like...well...it's too dirty - I'll tell you in person...

...

The (IRON) Clyde  – (September 23, 2008 at 4:22 PM)  

300-400 calories of gels (or carbo pro if I'm on the bike) per hour. Gatorade as much as possible too, I don't count those in as calories.

Seems to work for me. Electrolyte tablets too, just to prevent cramping.

I usually end up taking a gu every 15-20 minutes, yes I have to fight them down sometimes as the run goes on.

Recovery Chocolate Milk a "generous cup" ASAP after I'm done, along with stretching.

6ft, anywhere from 215-230lbs depending on time of year, haha.

Hope it helps.

M  – (September 23, 2008 at 11:16 PM)  

20 miles is HUGE! I ahve mine this weekend and am dreading it - I will have to channel you during it!

Lily on the Road  – (September 24, 2008 at 8:42 AM)  

I'll admit I'm Clydsdale, *sigh*, when I was training for the marathon earlier this year, I attended a nutritional seminar which helped a lot. Don't over eat, but do eat more often. Smaller portions more often during the day help alot. Protien is a huge help! I ended up carrying figs, fignutons (sp?) dried apricots, along with Carb-boom gels and poweraid. Try not to eat more calories than you burn.

Hope this helps, but then their are others who know more than me.

Check out Wes at http://www.codegeekstail.com/

Meg  – (September 24, 2008 at 11:58 AM)  

Great job! I can't believe you ran almost 40 miles in 5 days!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP