Another one bites the dust!

Just so you all know…Pharmie and I will not be running at 4am! That would suck! I would have to go home from work Thursday and go straight to bed because the alarm would be going off at 2 am to eat my oatmeal, drink water, pre-run potty break and drive to her house before 4am. Friday evening sounds much better to me. I can take it easy all day at work, run 20 miles, sleep and get in the car for 4 hours on my way to a wedding. By doing the run Friday I also leave myself open to enjoy as many adult beverages as the bartender will allow me to drink. ;) JK JK I won’t be getting THAT drunk…just enough to ‘get me going’.

So Monday I had 15 miles on the schedule, in my head I doubted my readiness for 20 this weekend since my last 18 sucked donkey nuts! Legs cramping/locking up at mile 17. IT Band pain from mile 6 on, just not a good day. Pharmie and I did 18.5 miles in just under 4 hours that day, way way way to slow! So back to Monday, I knew in my head I needed to do 18 to feel comfortable tackling 20 and 26.2.

I left work a little early, drove over to some lakes in Minneapolis and got on my way. The plan was to run two of the lakes twice (13 miles) and then LittleMissSunshine was joining me for the last 6 miles. I ran the first lake (3.1 miles) in just over 25 min (WTF), to fast! I got a gel and water and was on my way to the next lake. That 3.4 miles (the lake and distance between the lakes) ticked off in 28 min. Still to fast! I wasn’t trying to go fast, just comfortable. For some reason everything seemed easy, just like last week. I looked at my watch and knew I was running a little late (got started 5-10 min late) if I was to meet LittleMissSunshine at 6. So I shortened the next section and just did the first lake twice for (6.2 miles) That was only 59 min with water and food stops. I stop and walk for water and food; otherwise I choke and inhale water into my lungs. Cutting the second loop short by 0.3 miles meant I was right on time for meeting up with LittleMissSunshine, I got to my car to grab Gatorade and Shotblocks just as she was walking away from her car towards the lake.

We went out for a lap on the first lake again (eh, this lake was getting boring), it was cool to see the same people over and over again. You almost start to build a bond with them in your head. Or is that just me? Since LittleMissSunshine was feeling fresh and I had 13 miles under my belt (12.75 really) I was in trouble! She led out and I kept pace, until her potty stop I was on pace for my fastest 5k of the day. Not cool! Why do I have to be dumb!?! I never asked her to slow up a bit, I should have. With her potty stop, water and food after that lake I hit the split at 29 min. Still well under 10 min miles.

We walked 50 feet or so, I was starting to hurt, and got under way again. As soon as we got to the second lake we had to wait for the stop light, not good! I was already feeling tight and now I had to stand and wait for a light to change. I think the hardest part is starting back up when you are tight. This time I told her we had to slow up, she let me pace the lap. She was even an alarm when I picked it up and didn’t know it, “umm, Borsch, my heart rate just jumped to 170…do you know you are going faster?” My reply, “nope, didn’t know…I’m just moving my feet right now.” I think I just wanted it to be over. Once we hit mile 17’ish I was hurting. I started getting nauseous, and had to stop and walk a bit. I didn’t know what was going on. Was I low on food? Water? I couldn’t be low on food, I had two gels and two and a half packs of shot blocks thus far (around 750 cal not including the Gatorade). She forced me to take some of her water and a gel just in case. We ran the rest of the lake and I stopped my watch at 3:10. Total time was over 10 min miles, but I think that first lake with LittleMissSunshine was too fast and really killed me for the next lake. I was under 10 min miles until that last loop. I feel good about the day, I just need to pace myself better and I’ll knock off 20 miles this Friday. I still can’t believe that taking three weeks off didn’t have any ill effects on my running. 8/18/08 = 18.5 miles in 4 hours. 9/15/08 = 18 miles in 3:10. A 50 min difference! I feel much better mentally, I know I can cover the distance and can will my way through some pain and stomach discomfort.

20 miles…


Stay tuned for the 20 miler…I probably won’t have time to post until Sunday night/Monday.

The (IRON) Clyde  – (September 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM)  

Watch out Boston, here you come ;-)


Good work on getting speedier.

J~Mom  – (September 17, 2008 at 5:14 PM)  

Nice job!!!! That is a huge difference!!

Meg  – (September 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM)  

Nice! Have fun on your run and at the wedding!

M  – (September 17, 2008 at 5:44 PM)  

YEAH!!!!!! Crazy how a solid run can really boost confidence - glad you had a running partner - those longer distances sure can get boring!

Colleen  – (September 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM)  

Wow - that was an unbelieveable improvement! Hey, if you feel good, go with it! :)

Marcy  – (September 17, 2008 at 7:19 PM)  

Sweet sweet job homie!! GOOD LUCK on that 20 miler! Bring it!

Steve Stenzel  – (September 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM)  

Nice run! Yeah, I HATE having to stop at a light near the end of a long run. And it was worse when I was injured - everything would be too tight after starting again.

FYI, I'm making the announcement regarding our team tomorrow morning on my blog! YEAH!

JohnnyTri  – (September 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM)  

dude your totally rockn` it out there, nice work!!


cant wait to hear about the 20miler recap..

rockon`

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (September 19, 2008 at 7:22 AM)  

I'm encouraged by your ability to get back in there after 3 weeks off running. I think I'm off another week (grrrr) and getting nervous.

LG  – (September 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM)  

nice job -- even if it was running in a few circles - you are going to burn up the course on the marathon!

Wil  – (September 19, 2008 at 11:42 PM)  

Holy cow you're going to kill it!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP