Almost lost a nut...

This is a long one, grab a low fat latte and find a cozy place to sit…or read the snapshot directly below. :)


1) I rode 118 miles sat with a 16.5 average
2) I ran today for the first time in three weeks! 6.5miles and no pain!
3) No weight loss this week, gonna journal food and find the little things that add up.

Part 1: Century Ride
Friday night I went to the TWINS game, which was awesome! The Twins won 10-2! After the game I went home and was ready for bed. Saturday morning was to be my first century ride. For some reason I couldn’t fall asleep right away and only got 4 - 5 hours of sleep before my alarm went off at 4:30am. I immediately hit the snooze and rolled over. I woke up ten min later, got dressed, loaded my crap in the car and ate breakfast. Eventually (30 min late) LittleMissSunshine got to my house and we were on the road to the Jesse James Bike Tour.

We met up with a fellow wed. night rider, Jairo, and rode to the starting line. Jairo was the one who had the directions from Kari’s (another wed. night rider) house to the start. So how it took us over 8 miles to get to the start 2 miles away. Like 100 miles isn’t far enough, we added 8 miles on to the start. We finally arrived at the start, picked up our wristbands and snapped a photo or two. There was an Erik’s Bike Shop tech crew there; they adjusted my rear derailleur which had been skipping gears on its own the first 8 miles. I want to thank Erik’s for having tech crews at every rest stop! They were helping inflate tires, do adjustments and I even saw one guy replacing someone’s handlebars at a rest stop.

Once we got on our way, over an hour later than when we expected to start, everyone was in good spirits and ready for whatever the day may bring. The first leg included some small rollers and a HUGE downhill. I hit 45mph going down that puppy with a giant cowboy hat on my helmet! Without the hat I might have squeaked out another mph or two. We hit the first rest stop around mile 17 of the ride, about 25 overall for me. The rest stops were NICELY stocked with everything a person could ask for: gateraide (Yes, that is how it was spelt at some rest stops), water, bread, bananas, oranges, peanut butter, jelly, brownies, PEARSON’S NUT ROLLS (my fav. Post race food), granola bars, maybe some other things I didn’t notice.

After Sol, LittleMissSunshine and I waited in a 15 min potty line we were back on the road. Shortly after we left Joe got not 1 but 2 flats (same tire) within three miles of each other. Surprisingly the patch job on the second flat held the rest of the way. The second rest stop couldn’t come soon enough for me! I was starting to get a sore left hamstring and the wind was in our face for a while with some good rolling hills. At that stop we loaded up on drinks and grab a little grub, checked out the bike porn and talked with ERIK THE BIKE MAN. It was a good stop!

I’ll save you all the details, but later in the ride we hit a SHITTY bike path. I seriously thought I was going to shake a derailleur loose. Jairo thought he lost a nut on that stretch. Later the group started breaking up. We had some wind in our face and some were ‘starting to feel it’. I, myself, was feeling great! I hung back a little because some of the guys were going a little faster that I wanted to at miles 60-70. We kind of had three and four groups at this moment in time but we all re-grouped at the next rest stop. We stuck together for a while then hit a NICE set of rolling hills. At this point I made my breakaway down a big downhill that led into the NICE set of rolling hills. I pulled Joe into the next rest stop at excess of 20mph average over that 5-7 miles. Jairo was shortly behind us and everyone else rolled in just a few min later.

The last 24 miles left a few big splits between our three groups. 4 of us were feeling great. We took off after a mile or two. Mike was in a group by himself, I was going to pull him along but when he started fading at a 17/18 pace I had to leave him. So I booked a 25-30mph sprint to catch up to the 3 guys about a half mile ahead of me. Whooooo! That hurt a little. After I recovered a little from the sprint we all took turns pulling (the 3 of us). We lost one guy who went back to try and help out Mike. With 7 miles let I convinced the guys upfront to stop and let everyone catch up. I wanted to cross the finish line together. We started this journey together, lets finish together. None of us had a time goal so why not hold up and finish together. We all stuck together the rest of the way and crossed the finish line together…sort of.

They had ran out of food at the finish and taken down all the finish banners, tents, etc. WTF! I know we started the 100 miler a little later than optimum, but we definitely weren’t the only ones left on the hundred mile course. From the people left at the last rest stop and the people we passed on the last leg I be there were 20 -30 people still on that course. We all paid our money; I think we at least deserve the pleasure of crossing a finish line.

Besides crossing the line together, the best part of the race was NEVER BEING PASSED (except while fixing flats or at rest stops). After our detour to the start, the course being long (104 miles), and the ride back to the cars I finished with 118 miles and 16.5mph average. It was 16.8 until the last few miles to the car. We only went like 12mph back because we were taking it easy and just ‘spinning out the legs’.

Part 2:
I RAN TODAY! Since the onset of my stress fractures in my foot I hadn’t ran in three weeks. Today I was going out for an easy run and ended up doing 6.5 miles at 9 min pace. My legs felt great, my breathing was good and my foot didn’t hurt at all!
I’m ready to jump back into the end of my marathon training! Two long runs and two weeks of taper. I’m excited!

Part 3:
Weight loss hasn’t been great the past month. Another week and nothing lost. I rode 200 effing miles this week and didn’t lose a pound. What do I have to do!?! Right now I’m going to keep track of what I eat and hold myself accountable for all the “little” snacks/treats I allow myself. And now that I can run again I’m hoping to see some negative numbers next week.

P.S. I need some good dinner ideas/recipes for a single guy that is easy to make in small portions. Feel free to email me ideas. :)

You didn't think I would leave you without pictures....
Left to right: Me, Mike, Mike, LittleMissSunshine, Sol, Jairo and Joe.

Flatman  – (September 10, 2008 at 7:46 AM)  

That hat doesn't look very aero!!! ;)

LG  – (September 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM)  

Great ride!! 45 mph - that must have been some hill - i can't even imagine what that feels like on a bike - I have yet to crack 35 mph. That stinks they packed up the finish area before the ride was over - after all that - no finish line - boo!

i have plenty of delish easy, recipes for you - will go through them and send along.

Marcy  – (September 10, 2008 at 10:47 AM)  

Ooooo I dig the new look!

OMG 100+ my crtoch says ouch! :P GREAT JOB! Lovin the pics too ;-) Especially the last one hehe

Meg  – (September 10, 2008 at 12:39 PM)  

Awesome job! I was hoping you'd post pictures with the hat. How did it stay on? Just shoved onto your helmet?
Great news on the running front!

Colleen  – (September 10, 2008 at 1:49 PM)  

LOVE the cowboy hat! Definitely adds a little something! :) Great job on the 118 miles! That's fantastic! and yay for being able to run pain free! Hope that continues! Don't worry too much about the weight loss... it'll come with time!

Formulaic  – (September 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM)  

That is awesome!


F'ing cool.

And then to top it off with a easy no pain run.


Good luck on the weight. The log seems like a great idea.

Buckeyeouttdoors lets you track (I think?)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (September 11, 2008 at 7:41 AM)  

Ha! I love the hat!

Good job on your century ride. :-)

Steve Stenzel  – (September 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM)  

You told me about the hat. But I didn't think it would look THAT good!

Nice ride! And sweet that you got to talk to Erik!

Pharmie  – (September 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM)  

Congrats on a great ride! So when are we doing our 20 miler?

Lauren  – (September 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM)  

apparently they had cheap massages after the ride... THAT was also packed up by the time we finished. bummer! I say Kari owes us one :)

PS is the hat still on your helmet?

J~Mom  – (September 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM)  

I am so digging that hat!!! LOL!

Stef  – (September 13, 2008 at 4:57 PM)  

Congratulations on a great ride! Love the hat!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by 2009

Back to TOP