Race Report

GOAL ACHIEVED

Pictures to come later

(BUZZ BUZZ)4:30am. I got up to start this epic day. After a few min I was eventually coaxed out of bed. I started the day with some good old fashion oatmeal and some large glasses of water. I also stretched out a bit while watching the weather. At about 5:30 Steph and I left to pick up her bro (my running partner for the day).

A little background on my running partner for the day:
Matt is 23 ( I think ) and in pretty good shape. He is an avid cyclist and runner. He is definitely faster than I am, his 5k's are around 22min (mine are closer to 25). When it comes to distance, he had never ran over 6 miles before last week. Monday he went out and ran 9 miles to see if he could do this half marathon. Having finished 9 on Monday he decided he was in.

When we got to the race site, we got our race packets and hit up the bathrooms. I did some more quick stretching and we were ready to race! Matt and I decided we needed to keep 9:15's to give me a chance of reaching my 2 hour goal. I was a little unsure of how it was going to go with Matt. By going out with him at 9:15's was I going to be able to hold on? This was 30-45 seconds per mile faster than I normally do my long runs.

Matt and I kept a pretty consistent pace through mile 6. Around this time I was starting to wonder if I could hold on, my knee was starting to ache and I could feel my IT band getting tight. Matt basically told me to stop being a wuss and that we were going to keep this pace to the end. Around mile 7.5 we saw Steph, she snapped a few photos and gave us some much needed nutrition. Miles 6-10 are usually tough miles for me, just past half way but not far enough to start running mile to mile.

Somewhere around mile 11 Matt had to kick me in the butt again...we stopped for water and took a quick glance at our watches. Crap, we need to 9:00's to break 2 hours. I said I don't know if I can...Matt said something about not giving up on my race this close to the finish. I said, ok...I guess I'll be puking for the next two miles. And we were off. We were gradually passing people on our way to the finish. Around mile 13 we saw Steph again...she napped another photo and I gave it everything I could. Coming around a corner I yelled "On your left" twice and a group that was slowly jogging in didn't move over and the crowd was all the way up to the path. SHIT! I ended up hurdling a "Runners that way" sign to get around them. I crossed the mat and stopped my watch, turned around and Matt was right behind me.

WAY TO GO MATT! Longest run ever with a strong finish.


Here are my splits:

  • Mile 1: Hmmm, where was that.
  • Mile 2: 18:28 (includes mile 1)
  • Mile 3: 9:20
  • Mile 4: 9:14
  • Mile 5: 9:08
  • Mile 6: 9:12
  • Mile 7: 8:49
  • Mile 8: 9:25
  • Mile 9: 9:39
  • Mile 10: 8:47
  • Mile 11: 9:31
  • Mile 12: 9:06
  • Mile 13: 8:30
  • .1: 00:46

This resulted in a total time of 2:00:00 (officially, my watch had an extra 3 seconds).

So, you will notice that I lost a pint of blood through my nipples during the race. I wore a shirt that I've never had problems with and use regularly for my long runs. But about mile 3 I noticed my nipples starting to hurt, the scabs from the previous week were rubbing open. WHOOPS! I guess I should have taken some preventative measures. I'll be trying out different ideas/remedies on my upcoming long runs.

The day continued with cleaning the garage. I had tons of left over crap from the move, all the loose clutter that needed to find the trash or a new box to get stored in. After that was over a nap was in short order! I met up with Steph and Matt for some Pappa Murphys pizza and beer later. Then hit up the bars to end the night...what a great day! I can officially cross the 2 hour half marathon off my list!

Half marathon #1: 2:04
Half marathon #2: 2:09
Half marathon #3 2:00 (place gold star here)



To Matt - Thanks for kicking my butt!
To Steph - Thanks for taking some awesome photos and being a great support crew!

Collin  – (August 3, 2008 at 9:40 PM)  

Awesome! Congratulations. And I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again... New Skin is your friend. Thank me later.

Nat  – (August 3, 2008 at 9:49 PM)  

Oh God. Not bloody nipples. Please tell me you don't have pictures of them!!!

Pharmie  – (August 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM)  

We want pictures! Just kidding - I've already seen them :) Congrats on a great race, and thanks for helping my little bro finish his first half!

Jumper 2.0  – (August 4, 2008 at 5:30 AM)  

Glad you didn't actually average 9:15 or else you would have been a bit short like me.

Congratulations on hitting 2. And good luck for 1:45 for a new goal! right? ;-)

Rural Girl  – (August 4, 2008 at 5:46 AM)  

I love the way you describe mile 6-10. Holy cats on mile 13's pace (8:30)! See what you had left! That is awesome. Congratulations!

Danielle in Iowa  – (August 4, 2008 at 7:43 AM)  

Congrats! It's too bad you didn't have any of Steve's bacon bandaids...

The Clyde  – (August 4, 2008 at 10:40 AM)  

Way to throw it down Man....now it's on to 1:55.

How about Green Bay Half Marathon in May? I'll have a nice sized crew there of all speeds (1:38-2:30)to pace you where you need to be.

Mark it down.

Colleen  – (August 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM)  

AWESOME! So glad that you were able to get your goal time! Keep up the awesome work and definitely get us some pictures! :)

Steve Stenzel  – (August 4, 2008 at 1:58 PM)  

Sweet job! I'm super impressed by "snacky treat" too! You guys did great!!

Now, how can I stop seeing that photo of your bloody shirt every time I close my eyes?...

J~Mom  – (August 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM)  

Excellent job!!! Way to improve on your old times!!

I made my blog private but if you want to read it just send me an email through my blog and I will add you! :>D

Tri to Be Funny  – (August 4, 2008 at 5:25 PM)  

And that's how you GET IT DONE!!! Nice work out there and great consistency. I like the fast finish :-)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (August 4, 2008 at 7:31 PM)  

Great splits - way to hit that 2 hr half mary time!! WoooooT!!

Formulaic  – (August 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM)  

WOW! Way to go! Awesome run. Too bad about the shirt, the pics look painful!

How many sisters/brothers does Pharmie have??!!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP