Quick Update

I'm in for a crazy busy week...probably not going to sleep tonight.

Marathon Training...
It is going well. I successfully finished another week... with some drama. I ran in rural MN again. Pharmie came with me. We ran down a LONGGGG FLATTTT road. One of those roads where you can see 4-5 miles in front of you. OK, lets just run to that house then we get a gel and water. Well that house just happens to still be a mile off. CRAP!

Besides the different mental games everything felt great...except for my IT band. My nutrition was good, maybe a little low on enduralytes, my legs felt strong. Around mile 6 my IT band was getting tight. By mile 12 I was thinking I'm not sure if I can finish. Mile 17 I stopped to walk a few min while I got some water and when I started, well tried, to run again my leg LOCKED UP ***OUCH!*** My knee had shooting pain running through it. My running partner, Pharmie, and I walked the last 1.5 miles. Pharmie had really tight legs, her hammies had been giving her trouble the entire day.
In the end we both covered the miles and once we fully recover we'll be stronger for having finished.

Weekly weigh-in...
Beg...245
Week 1...244
Week 2...242
Week 3...240
Week 4...240
Week 5…???
Week 6…???
Week 7…234
Week 8...??? Camping & drinking beer :-)
Week 9...232

Advise requested...
I'm looking for advise about trainers. What type of trainers are good trainers? Wind/magnetic/fluid? What type do people use/like? Any brands to stay away from? What pain points do you have with trainers?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Have a great week!

Danielle in Iowa  – (August 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM)  

I have a Blackburn fluid trainer that I am pretty happy with. I was told not to get a wind trainer as they are too loud for group trainer rides (if you do them at your LBS or whatever). I have also used Cyclops and I actually I think I prefer them, although they are pricier. The biggest thing for me is that with the Blackburn I have readjust the knob where the tire goes in every time, whereas the Cyclops ones release from their tightened position so you don't have to mess with it each time you put your bike on. I don't know if that is at all clear, but basically my rides on my Blackburn aren't all uniform because sometimes I don't tighten the knob as much as other times, whereas that isn't an issue with the Cylcops trainers I have used.

J~Mom  – (August 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM)  

Your weight just keeps going down and down! Awesome!

This is the trainer that I have and it works fine. No bells or whistles and lets me spin. :>)

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20981&subcategory_ID=4120

J~Mom  – (August 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM)  

I hope that link works..if not it's the Travel Trac Century Fluid Trainer.

teacherwoman  – (August 18, 2008 at 7:07 PM)  

Wow! You've lost 13 pounds! That is awesome! Sounds like quite the run you had!

Meg  – (August 19, 2008 at 7:20 AM)  

Nice job getting the miles in and with your weight! I hope your knee feels better.

TRI TO BE FUNNY  – (August 19, 2008 at 8:28 AM)  

I've had luck with the Cyclops Fluid Trainers. That's what we use in our Indoor Training rides.

Nice work on the lbs!

The Clyde  – (August 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM)  

One Up Bicycle Trainer or Kreiter Rollers.

http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

http://www.kreitler.com/

Depends on what mood I'm in. The rollers are a challenge, becuase you have to balance, the one up I usually use for "rides" of two hours or more so I don't have to worry about balance the whole time.

Marcy  – (August 19, 2008 at 2:27 PM)  

Looking good with the digits. Real good ;D

Oy, no advice on the trainer. I'll leave that to the pros ;-)

Steve Stenzel  – (August 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM)  

Nice run! And sorry, but you know that I don't have much to say about trainers.

Don't worry. I'm holding off on the tighty-whities for you, big boy. They won't make an appearance until our big day!

;)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (August 19, 2008 at 4:53 PM)  

I have a minoura mag trainer. One of the things to look at is noise. Another is adjustment.

Personally, I don't care for the trainer and at this point my husband uses it more than I do.

Colleen  – (August 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM)  

We have a cyclops and love it. I don't know if it's a wind, fluid or mag though. :) Sorry I can't help!

You are doing awesome with the weight loss! keep it up.

And about that IT... I have had a lot of problems with mine. Have you ever tried trigger point therapy? My cousin is a PT and lead me to it when I told her that I was having problems. I bought a book at Barnes and Noble, did what they said to do and haven't had much pain since. Just a thought. If you want the name of the book, let me know!

Formulaic  – (August 20, 2008 at 2:48 PM)  

Nice run! You still have until Oct! You're soo gonna be ready. 18+ miles already. Outstanding.


I use the Cyclops magneto. Nice and quiet too. Which helps when trying to watch a video during cycling (it doesn't have to be turned ALL THE WAY UP).

I was looking at rollers and even debated building my one, but never got around to it. I bet you could do it.

Get a normal set of rollers and then you can build the stand that allows for forward and back motion. I saw the video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvVcNxGlR0

Stef  – (August 20, 2008 at 5:14 PM)  

I have the CycleOps Mag trainer and I like it a lot. My coach recommended it -- said that is what she uses. It's pretty quiet.

LG  – (August 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM)  

I have a cycleops 2 fluid -- i love it -- it's nice and quiet, somewhat easy to put together and easy to take places if you need to.

i live in a 2nd floor condo and my downstairs neighbors can barely hear it.

Molly  – (August 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM)  

You continue to inspire with the weight loss!
Work on your interior quad strength while stretching that IT!
Take Care

Megan  – (August 22, 2008 at 1:42 AM)  

yo - get a foam roller for the IT band. it might not cure all ills, but it definately helps me keep my pain at bay. sure its "the evil" in tube form, but it works, so who am i to complain?

Siren  – (September 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM)  

I took forever to research trainers because I knew I'd have it forevah. I ended up with a Minoura Mag and am very happy with it. If you look around online you can find deals for about a hundred bucks (I'm pretty sure I got it at this site: ageebike.com)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP