Proof that Beer = Super Fuel

Over the last year and a half I've had three instances where drinking and running crossed paths. In April of 2007 I was getting re-connected with old college friends, which ended up with a night out at the bar, then a post party. My first 5K ever was at 9 the next morning. My current roommate at the time and I woke up, I was probably still drunk, and made our way to the race (only a couple miles away). This past June I connected with some long lost college friends the night before a half marathon. When I found that they showed up, I said screw the half marathon (it was a "C" race) and went to the bar. I ended up stopping drinking at 10pm...drank some water, got home from the bar around 2am, 8am the gun went off and 10:09 I crossed the finish line of my second half marathon.

I spent this past weekend camping where I drank beer every night, almost nothing but diet soda all day and ate a bunch of crap throughout the day. Last night was an early to bed night, after a bunch of beer and cribbage. I was wide awake at 7 am, making a camp fire to warm up by (it was like 45-50 degrees). After sitting there for a while I decided to get my run done during the morning (instead of tonight). I went out and ran 6.5-7 miles around the state park and felt great! I didn't even touch a drop of water from the fuel belt, which I brought only as a back up in case I crashed from dehydration.

None of these runs were at staggering paces, actually all of them were right around 10 min/miles. So I'm not sure I can call beer Super Fuel, but for me...Beer = Fuel. :)

A few pics of the camping trip...

I'm doing the manly duties of making fire. Notice the hostess box in the fire ring.



A couple canoeing pics...

teacherwoman  – (August 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM)  

Wow... that is impressive. I think the only thing I would be able to do after a night of drinking beer is lay in bed all morning! I will just stick with it being my post-race nutrition! :)

J~Mom  – (August 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM)  

Hmmm...maybe I should give that a shot. :>)

TRI TO BE FUNNY  – (August 12, 2008 at 10:15 PM)  

awesome--no joke...last year, I placed 4th overall and 1st in my age group totally hung over after my wedding shower. There's something to it!!! Carbs, baby!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (August 12, 2008 at 10:32 PM)  

I'll just have to trust you on this one, I don't care for beer (although red wine is a totally different story), but I'm pretty sure I'd never get up in teh morning if I drank too much.

Colleen  – (August 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM)  

Sounds like you're just carb loading on something other than pasta! Whatever works for you (and I'm slightly jealous because I can't function after a few beers!)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP