Give yourself a pat on the back!

This post is dedicated to every one of you out there that reads my blog regularly, occasionally, seldom or have never set eyes on my blog. This post is dedicated to everyone who set out to accomplish a goal; physical, mental or anything else.

This evening I met with my Lifetime cycling group and afterward we went to Bonfire (a restaurant) to celebrate our fearless leader’s major accomplishment. She successfully completed the hardest bike race in the country, Leadville 100 mile MTB race. CONGRATS PATTI! You may not know it but you inspire me. When you were next to me on the Richvalley hill today saying, "You can do it." "You're almost there." I somehow just kept going. If you hadn't been there saying that I would have given up and jumped down to the granny gear. Thank you Patti!

Now to the meat and potatoes of the post. I want everyone who reads this to pat themselves on the back. I'm one of those people who sets out to do something, usually accomplishes it and then down plays the accomplishment. Why do I do this? I have no clue. Do others out there do this...probably. So during/after reading this post I want everyone to think about goals and accomplishments you've achieved over the years. I'm going to use myself as the example for this post only because I'm most familiar with my goals and accomplishments.

Lets start with a common goal...to lose weight and get in shape. Just two short years ago I tipped the scales at 295 pounds. This past week I was 234 pounds (after a weekend of beer and cookies). That is 61 pounds over the past two years. GO ME! I've really haven't lost a ton of weight since last Nov. (240) but the scale keeps going down and I'm in much better shape. And that's what I want to see.

Pics of me at 295'ish and 234.


















Second goal...go sub 25 in a 5K. This winter I spent a good amount of time on the dreadmill. Since I love the treadmill so much I did tons of long runs over the winter, NOT! Most of my runs were from 2-5 miles. I'm the type of person that can't really have an easy workout. If I have an "easy 2 mile" run on the schedule I end up running 2 miles faster than 5k pace. With that said you can bet that most of my dreadmill runs were probably fast and hard. This spring my first 5K of the year was the Joe Plant Memorial 5K. Steve had plans to PR in this race, and I talked myself into running a PR race as well. What I didn't know was that I was not only going to run a PR but shatter my old PR (27 min) and run my goal time for the year. I ran a 24:47, 13 seconds faster than my goal for the year. I put in a lot of hard work and saw some positive results. Way to go me!

Next goal...run a two hour half marathon. Last Oct I ran my first half marathon, EVER. This was a strong race, where I finished the last three miles at 9 min miles for a 2:04 half. Earlier this summer I ran another half marathon after a ton of drinking and knew that wasn't going to be my sub 2 hour half marathon. During the middle of this summer I added a new race, the Urban Wildland Half marathon. I never planned on this being my 2 hour half. A late entry into the race was my friend Matt, who is much faster than me and pushed me the entire way to run 30-45 seconds faster than my normal pace. As a result I ran a 2:00:00 half marathon! Good job JON! Goal accomplished!

I still have a couple physical goals on the roster for the year, run a marathon and finish a century ride. I can't wait to cross these two things off.

Losing the weight, achieving my running goals and setting myself up to achieve my last couple goals this year should be a HUGE accomplishment. Even as I was leaving Bonfire this evening Patti congratulated me on my accomplishments and how much stronger she has seen me get on the bike. In usual Jon style I downplayed my accomplishment with a comparison to another’s physical ability. Why? I don’t know. Patti, THANK YOU! And...AWESOME JOB ME!

I WANT EVERYONE TO REFLECT A LITTLE AND PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK. What have you set out to do and made progress towards or achieved? Did you lose some weight, finish a 5K, finish a Marathon, finish an Ironman, finish a 100 mile MTB race, compete in Olympics, get a gold metal or 10? Whatever it may be, just think about what you have set out to do and give yourself a hand for a) setting that goal b)working towards it and c) checking it off.

tracie  – (August 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM)  

great post!!!

and many congrats to all the things you've crossed off!

as for those still on your list, you CAN do it! :)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (August 14, 2008 at 7:41 AM)  

Good job. You have done a great job working toward and achieving your goals.

And thanks for reminding me to take time to reflect on my own accomplishments. I am very much like you described...someone that downplays my own accomplishments and I needed a little encouragement right now. :)

Lauren  – (August 14, 2008 at 8:52 AM)  

Have you taken the time to pat yourself on the back?!

Great blog. Congrats on all your accomplishments- look forward to hearing about the ones to come!

Siren  – (August 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM)  

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've seen your name floating around and wondered how to find yours. Now I can have a front row seat to your success : )

J~Mom  – (August 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM)  

Most excellent!!! You have done a ton and met some major goals!! It is so important to celebrate the success!! I love the before and after pics the most!!

Just this morning a girl in our tri group was telling me that I didn't give myself enough credit (I was beating myself up over only riding 40 and not 45 miles today-LOL). So your post is really timely for me! Thanks!!

Anonymous –   – (August 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM)  

It's the journey not the destination that we all should keep in mind....how cool it is that we have ALL expanded our fitness, social opportunities, self esteem, positive attitudes, and the ability to enjoy life so much more than had we not jumped in the game!! Jon...You are such an inspiration to sooo many people and if that is the only thing (which it isn't) that comes out of your training...you're a success!
Ken Clobir (race organizer for Leadville 100) said "You're stronger than you think you are...and tougher than you know"!!!!! It's funny how that is so true. When you really want to quit...you just keep telling yourself that quote! Keep on livin! Patti Schmidt

Meg  – (August 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM)  

Cool post, it's true that we need to be nicer to ourselves and congratulate ourselves once in a while! You look great!
If you're willing and comfortable sharing P90X, I'd be excited to try it! Thanks for offering!

The Clyde  – (August 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM)  

Great post Borsch, I agree, too often we are always looking for the "next race" etc...without taking time to appreciate what we accomplished.

That being said, I'll wait until Sept 7th at 11:59 for my pat, hopefully I'll be an Ironman by then.

(Btw, GREAT job on the weight loss Bro, keep up the good work.)

Flatman  – (August 14, 2008 at 5:29 PM)  

Awesome job on the weight loss dude...congratulations....!

Steve Stenzel  – (August 14, 2008 at 7:36 PM)  

Nice post! And that's a CRAZY first photo!!

Kim  – (August 15, 2008 at 3:01 PM)  

fantastic post buddy! congrats on all the weight loss, you look fantastic!

LG  – (August 16, 2008 at 2:40 PM)  

huge pat on the back!! what a great post -- we are all our own toughest...but i suppose it's necessary to continually push us to new heights, new comfort zones and better versions of ourselves...after all if we don't push ourselves who will?? thanks for reminding us to take a minute to bask in the glory of accomplishments no matter how big or small they may seem, they all matter in the larger picture. can you tell i've been reading the alchemist on vacation? thanks for the recommendation...2 people stopped me to want to chat about it.

Molly  – (August 17, 2008 at 3:53 PM)  

A very cool post...much needed.
You are such an inspiration...you look so fit and so happy!
Take Care

Rural Girl  – (August 17, 2008 at 7:04 PM)  

awesome post! Man, you look great! Keep up the good work. You've earned all your success!

Colleen  – (August 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM)  

Great post! I needed that! And way to go with all that you've accomplished! You are amazing!

Colleen  – (August 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen  – (August 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Marie  – (August 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM)  

WOW! you are amazing and inspiring to say the least. you have come so far and the more i read the more i wondered...when am i gonna lose this weight from all this running i'm doing?!? hahaha. i recently started running about 3 months ago and have been training for my first marathon coming up in january. I'm doing my first 10K this weekend so that should be pretty exciting.

i look forward to keeping up with your blog! Good luck!

Stef  – (August 20, 2008 at 5:17 PM)  

Great post! For most of my life I've downplayed my accomplishments as you have described here by comparing to someone else. Getting better at NOT doing it anymore. And I credit getting into triathlon with helping me with that.

And you! You look GREAT! Great way to see how far you have come putting up two photos side by side like that. The difference is astonishing.

GO YOU!

Megan  – (August 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM)  

Holy crap! It would be amazing to hit just one of those goals, but you nailed them all! You deserve way more than a pat on the back - more like a big bear hug!!!! Can't wait to see how you do at the marathon!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP