To the left...whoops...To the right To the right...everything you need to know is in a box to the right.

My 12 miles turned into 14! At mile 5 I was thinking, hmm I feel pretty good. Mile 6 came and went. Mile seven showed up and I forced myself to turn around. I kinda wish I wouldn't have picked an out and back route. I looked down at the watch, I turned around close to 1:08. What the...did I really just run close to 9:45 miles? I must have, the watch can't lie!

During the first few miles my legs started to feel heavy...and at that point I thought this was going to be a long day. I spent all of Saturday moving, carrying couches/boxes, unpacking, etc. By the end of Saturday I was feeling tired, so when my legs started feeling tired just a few miles into my run I thought I was done for! Somehow I was able to shake that feeling and ended up feeling great! Like I said earlier I had to force myself to turn around at 7 miles...and how did I manage to run 15 sec a mile faster and not feel fatigued? Oh well, I'm not complaining. :-)

The way back wasn't as fun. 6 miles to go...I ate some shot blocks and got some water. 5 miles to go...the sun was on the horizon, going down, hitting me square in the face. DANG THAT THING IS BRIGHT! 4 miles to to...no change. Why is this leg taking soooooo long! 3 miles to go...I finally had the sun at my back, ate the rest of my shot blocks, drank a ton more water and headed towards the finish line. 2 miles to go...three large hills kicked my butt! My left calf cramped and had to walk a min or so to stretch it out. 1 mile to go...I had to stop for water at the top of the hills. I got light headed when I stood back up, from bending over the drinking fountain. Whoooo! That was scary! I kept going and made it home...2:20:??. I finished pretty much with 10 min miles! YAY! I didn't negative split (like some people do every run!) but I was happy, especially after cramping up on the last few hills.

I would have to say the least undesirable part of the 12 mile run turning into 14 was the aftermath. I attempted to stretch out...I couldn't find a stretch that didn't involve another muscle cramping. Ouch! I also didn't bring enough food along ( or salty drinks/tabs ) for a long warm run. Mental note...you are a fat man...you need more food!

I'm going to attempt 15 next week...possibly in rural MN. I can't wait...I'll count all the corn I pass. Stay tuned.

Colleen  – (July 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM)  

Great job! I hate when the miles last forever. But you pushed through with a great time! Good luck with the 15 this coming weekend!

Formulaic  – (July 21, 2008 at 11:48 AM)  

Way to go!

Awesome run! 12 miles done and your knee held up.

I am finding the hardest thing is regulating the salt too. Keep it up and I think you'll get your nutrition dialed in perfectly.

15 already?? You are going to be SET for Twin Cities. CAKE WALK!

Tri to Be Funny  – (July 21, 2008 at 3:12 PM)  

And since corn has carbs, you can eat that!!!

The Clyde  – (July 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM)  

Way to push through Bro. After runs like that, make sure to take a cold water bath right away (I come in, grab my recovery drink and head right to the tub). I always thought the people that did that were crazy, but it works, you're legs will feel so much fresher a lot faster.

teacherwoman  – (July 21, 2008 at 4:14 PM)  

Nice run! I like to grab a nice chocolate protien shake and water and cool off in a big ice bath after a long run. They do wonders!

LG  – (July 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM)  

Great job!! Especially adding the extra 2 miles. I just signed up for my first ever 1/2 marathon for the Fall - will be monitoring your progress to keep me motivated!

Lisa  – (July 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM)  

14 miles is a long way to run. Good job. :)

Nat  – (July 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM)  

Wow! Great job on the run. I know that feeling when you first start out and know it is going to be tough! Way to push through it!

Meg  – (July 22, 2008 at 6:07 AM)  

Congratulations! I'd never be able to motivate myself to add another 2 miles.

J~Mom  – (July 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM)  

Nice job!! It's hard to know how much fuel to bring on a run that long but you will figure it out. You cracked me up though..I don't think you are fat!!

tracie  – (July 23, 2008 at 8:52 AM)  

great job!!! way to push yourself (but not too far!) and feel good about your finish.

keep it up!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP