Quick update on the hilly ride ...12.7mph average

The riding group met out at Afton State Park on Wed. and everyone was excited to ride some hills. The first hill was a 4 mile monstrosity! It definitely got the blood flowing. After that we came back down...40+ mph descents ( I hit 44.7 max for the day) and went right back up it. Then we started riding through some other roads around the park, nothing too bad, just some decent rollers.

We had one girl, LittleMissSunshine, get a flat off some glass and another man went down charging hard...slamming the bike from side to side in his charge up a hill. Besides a good lump on his butt and a rashed jersey (barely a mark on him) he was fine...shaken up but fine.

After rolling around some of the side streets of the park for a while our fearless leader pointed us towards a road that went into the ski slope area. When we started getting down the road a little ways I finally recognized it....SHIT....this is the steep ***CAREFUL LOW GEAR ONLY*** entrance to the chalet parking lot.
You can blow up the Afton map on the right. Notice the Red line on the very right...that was the hill.


Everyone kind of attacked this hill in their lowest gear (I did it in my second to lowest because my bike wouldn't switch to my easiest gear) at their own pace. I was huffing and puffing the whole way up! I think I averaged between 6 and 7 mph going up that beast! At first I said SCREW THIS, I'm not doing that again. But after I had a chance to spin out a little bit and we headed back towards the cars I thought I could have done it one more time. Oh well...maybe next time.

Once we got back to the cars Mike, LittleMissSunshine, Kari and myself decided to follow suite of a few other rides with our group (who didn't do the ski slope entrance hill a second time) and do that first hill one more time. Mike, LittleMissSunshine and myself only went 3/4 of the way up it, we were all spent!

Steve Stenzel  – (July 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM)  

Sweet ride. Yeah, those big hills SUCK when you're doing them, but then you (for some reason) decide that you could do it again!

Isn't it great to stare at your computer and see single digits for such a long period of time?...

Lauren Rawlings  – (July 25, 2008 at 3:07 PM)  

ha, I'm honored to make your blog! I'll have to put in a plug for you... although, no guarantee of gaining you any traffic.

so, hill repeats?

Actually, depending on my weekend and weather I'm going to try to get in 30 or so on sun if you're down.

teacherwoman  – (July 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM)  

Nice job on the ride. To have a feeling as if you never wanted to do that hill again, and then thinking that you could have done it one more time... that's awesome! Sounds like a nice workout!

Lana  – (July 25, 2008 at 10:25 PM)  

WOW! That is some serious climbing!

LG  – (July 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM)  

quite the hill -- holy cow!! And 44 mph on your bike -- WHAT does that feel like? you could get a speeding ticket for something like that ;)

Tri to Be Funny  – (July 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM)  

Yeah--I agree with the bold print in your blog, "SCREW THIS!" :-) That's why they are made to ski DOWNHILL and not ride uphill :-)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP