Lovin' the bike!

I'm hating having worked two late nights already and I'm on my third! I protest work, at least for a few min, with this post!



Monday was an easy ride with the Twin Cities Bike Club. It was my first time riding with them and wasn't sure what it was going to be like or where we would be going. It was an A/B ride, about 25 miles. Since I ran 15 miles the day before I had planned on taking it easy and it was a nice easy ride with a 16.7 mph average.

Today I rode with my Lifetime Fitness group, we did our usual 22 mile route. We had two flats which definitely slowed us down but we finished with a good average for the course, lots of stop signs and lights...oh and a few good hills. The first quarter of the ride consumed our two flats and I was just hanging back with LittleMissSunshine. I told myself this was a race week and I should take it easy, especially since I secretly (not much of a secret anymore...) want to PR and go sub 2 hours. After about mile 5 I stepped out front to give a guy a break from pulling and spent the next 6 miles going almost all out to our 'stop and regroup' point at the top of one of our hills. So much for taking it easy.

Once we all gathered and grabbed a little water we hit the road. Again, I was in the draft thinking about taking it easy. Then I think I was getting to close and a woman got nervous and moved to the side...I took this as my cue to see if LittleMissSunshine needed a break from pulling. She very kindly gave me the lead and from there I don't know what happened. Again I was holding a nice 20mph, we hit a gradual uphill and BOOM I'm all alone. When I'm upfront I feel like I have to work hard constantly so that I don't slow others up. Why? If they wanted to work harder they would be upfront....right?

Eventually, the A group ( I ride B ) caught us just a few miles from the end of the route. From that point on I was bound and determined to stick with them. WHY? This was supposed to be an easy ride! I did, and actually passed the lead two on the last hill. Well, to be honest, they pulled me along at 30mph to the base of the hill and then I hit it. Yelled, "On your left!" and cranked that hill as hard as I could. About 3/4 of the way up I looked back and they were both 50 or more feet back! YAY! I win! What do I win? Not much besides a fellow rider...from the A group...coming up to me afterward and saying "Great kick, I got within half a bike length of you but died off. Nice job!"

Did I mention I'm LOVIN THE BIKE lately! I can see and feel myself getting stronger, faster and more comfortable on it.

LittleMissSunshine...when are we going to join A? Two weeks? I think we can keep up for at least a short while. I'm not sure I can keep their pace for their entire route...but I would love to try and hopefully get stronger. What do you say? I bet Patty wouldn't mind being part of an A- group after Leadville next week. :-)

Steve Stenzel  – (July 31, 2008 at 6:10 PM)  

Super ride!

And if I don't see you before Sarah and I take off tomorrow morning, good luck this weekend! Have a good race!!

Steve Stenzel  – (July 31, 2008 at 6:14 PM)  

Oh my God, Oh my God, OH MY GOD!

I just noticed I am EXACTLY the 1,000 visitor to your site! Is there a prize? Cash? One night with your lady?

;)

teacherwoman  – (July 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM)  

Um, are you LOVIN' the BIKE? jk.

Nice ride, dude! You are totally rockin'!

"When I'm upfront I feel like I have to work hard constantly so that I don't slow others up. Why? If they wanted to work harder they would be upfront....right?" ---> you're probably right. If they want to work harder, they would be up front. ... remember.. this was an easy ride! :)

Colleen  – (August 1, 2008 at 8:07 AM)  

Great job on the bike - seems like that's where your most comfortable. I totally think that you're ready for the A group!

Best of luck this weekend. Anxious to hear how the race goes!

Lauren Rawlings  – (August 1, 2008 at 1:39 PM)  

strange how my average is always faster when I'm riding with you. Love the drafting :)

Umm... 2 weeks? Ok, I'll let you know! (better bring a map for if I get dropped, ha.)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP