LONGEST RIDE EVER!

Saturday was a great day! It started out by waking up early and watching Pharmie and Steve ROCK the Lifetime Fitness Olympic course!

After that I headed out to Lake Minnetonka with Steph and her little sister, Annie. We spent the afternoon/evening riding around the lake in the boat, tubing, kayaking, eatting delicious snacks and chatting with everyone. To everyone that was out there, thanks for giving me the opportunity enjoy the things I loved as a child but haven't done in 8-10 years. I miss boating and being on the water throughout the summer.

Around 10 pm Steph and I eventually made our way back to Steph's house. I was getting tired since I had been up since 6 am, staying pretty active. Then I drove back to my place, started packing my bike and gear in the car (so I wouldn't have to do it in the morning) and eventually hit the pillow around 1pm. CRAP! I FORGOT MY SUNGLASSES IN STEPH'S CAR! What am I going to do?!? I can't ride 70-80 miles with no sunglasses. Steph talked me into going to a gas station and purchasing some cheap gas stations. I went back to sleep.

A few short hours later my alarm clock went off...I had a huge bowl of Mini Wheats, filled up my water bottles and was out the door. I met up with Emily and Lauren at Lifetime Fitness in Eagan. After stopping at the SA for some $6 sunglasses. :-) We all threw our bikes in Emily's car and were on our way.

One short hour later we were in Redwing, MN. We all started reassembling bikes, checking bikes over, pumping up tires and lathering skin with sunscreen. Kari showed up a few min later and after a few photos ( will come soon ) we were on our way. The ride out was FAST! We were all cruising over 22mph and most of the time closer to 25...not working very hard either! The wind was at our back and we were all flying. We were trying to make this a fun ride for everyone so we kept our speed in check on some long climbs and fast slopes. Kari, Lauren and I are all around the same level..."B" group as we refer to it on our Wednesday ride...Emily is a good ride but rides with our "C" group on Wednesdays. She could join the "B" group and easily become much stronger...the talent is there.

We made a quick potty stop at the Quick Trip in Wabasha and decided we should continue our trek into WI. We hopped the 'border' and started our way back up the WI side of the Mississippi River. Kari was a great tour guide of the cities along the ride. As soon as we crossed the river we could tell we had the wind at our back s the entire way down and now we were going to be going straight into a 10-20 mph wind. Our average went from well over 20 to 17 when we made our first stop on the WI side. Another 10 miles clicked across my bike computer and our average was down to 15. WTF! Kari and I did most of the pulling and at times I was pretty tired of getting slammed with wind gusts. At 58 we hit my longest ride ever...it just happened to be the around the base of a HUGE hill. I'm a pretty strong hill climber, but man...I WAS HURTING. The hill was the hardest and longest hill I've ever had to climb. It wasn't the steepest but definitely the longest!

Kari, Lauren and I made it to the top and we were hanging out waiting for Emily to appear. Far too long goes by and Lauren hops on her bike and heads back a little ways to check. She does't come back...Kari and I start our way back and eventually see them walking up the hill. Emily had knee issues, which stemmed from an accident she had a little while ago. She assured us she was going to ride down the hill into the next city and wait for us to come back. No more than 3 miles go by and she is in a car with some fellow cyclists who gave her a ride back to Redwing. The rest of us finished the 4-5 miles left and threw our bikes back in the cars they came in. We all grabbed some long over due water, cleaned ourselves off a bit and headed to get a great post workout meal!

Sunday was sunny, windy, warm and a great ride! My bike computer reads...73.28 miles with a 15.5 mph average. What the heck happened to the average on the way back? Oh...the wind, the waiting for Emily, walking to the top of the hill with Emily...and THE WIND!

Pharmie  – (July 13, 2008 at 7:49 PM)  

Great ride! Thanks again for coming out to cheer us on Saturday!

Jumper 2.0  – (July 14, 2008 at 7:04 AM)  

Ok, I need a copy of this route. I need bike hills and I don't know where to find them.

73 miles, Woohoo. I was about at 60 before the damn accident! Don't worry about the 15.5 no matter what the reason, it's your first ride at this length. The strength to maintain speed will happen.

LG  – (July 14, 2008 at 11:49 AM)  

Sounds like a great weekend and a great ride!! Soon enough your speed will stay consistent with this mileage...and i'm sensing a century in your future! what fun!

Marcy  – (July 14, 2008 at 11:51 AM)  

Sweet job on the ride, homes! Even with the wind!

Molly  – (July 14, 2008 at 12:18 PM)  

Great ride...you and Colleen need to compare notes...you both kicked some wind and some hills in the ass!
Take Care

J~Mom  – (July 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM)  

Fantastic mileage!!! I am so sick of the wind! I thought wind was a spring thing!

Formulaic  – (July 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM)  

That's a great ride. Don't even worry about the average. What you need is mileage.

You have smokin times on short distances already. The speed will increase naturally.

Great job out there.

teacherwoman  – (July 14, 2008 at 8:07 PM)  

I was in the cities this past weekend and had an opportunity to hang with the cousins on lake minnetonka saturday morning/afternoon, but already had lunch plans with a friend.

Nice ride, dude! So jealous! I can't wait to get out there and go far! I was out for a short ride today with wind gusts near 25mph. I thought I was going to die... then I realized it was only going to make me a stronger cyclist. Rock on!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP