Long Run and Race week

I spent the weekend in rural MN...which meant my long run was going to be either late at night or down in the country. I chose down in the country. I got up at 6 am...had some wonderful oatmeal and got ready to run. It was probably mid 50's and barely drizzling when I started. Great conditions! I ran the first three miles a little slow...10:30 miles. Then I started to pick it up a little and started to get myself in trouble! about mile 4 I got the urge to...ummm...go #2. By mile 4.5 it was either duck in a corn field or poo myself...feel free to take a guess at which one I did. When I started running again I felt completely relieved! All of the sudden I was probably under 10 min miles.

Things got a little worrisome after I turned around to go back. A friend was going to meet me with extra water and food. I turned around and ran a half mile...nobody there...1 mile...nope...finally about 1.5 miles after the turn around (9 miles into the run) they showed up and I was super stoked! It was great to see someone coming with water...I was getting worried I'd have to go into survival mode with the 8oz of water I had left.

I quickly got back on the road and was feeling great! Before I knew it I was at some long "S" curves that were 2.5 miles from the finish line. Then tragedy struck! These S curves are pretty sharply banked and running about 1-1.5 miles on these banks aggravated my knee. It was really hurting, enough that I was about to quit, when I was leaving the S curves. I stopped for 30 seconds or so to stretch out my IT band and it seemed to help a little. I quickly talked myself into running again. Those last 1-1.5 miles were really long! I could see the farm I was going to the entire way! My knee was throbbing and I noticed that both my nipples were bleeding! WTF! I've had some nipple rubbage before, but I just rub a little body glide on them and they are fine. But today they were rubbed raw! When I got in the shower later they stung soo bad I wanted to SCREAM! I ended up finishing the run with 2:23:xx. That is close to a 9:30/mile average. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!? Running in the country, where I don't know any distances, made it tough to gage how fast I was going. So I just did what felt like a comfortable pace. I had to be running 9min miles coming in...that is freaking insane for me!

I'm getting close to my 2:00:00 half marathon goal! This weekend I have the Urban Wildland Half Marathon. I'm not sure if I'm going to try for that goal this weekend. I don't want to push the IT Band and knee too much before TCM. If I'm feeling really good and there is no discomfort you might see a GOAL ACHIEVED POST.

Danielle in Iowa  – (July 27, 2008 at 9:41 PM)  

I've heard pasties are useful in preventing nipple rub :-)

Collin  – (July 27, 2008 at 9:48 PM)  

Your nips were rubbed raw because it was cold and you were probably sweaty. Also, what kind of shirts do you wear? I've found that certain fabric blends cause me more problems than others.

Look for a product called New Skin. It's like super glue with a brush as an applicator. I put it on my nips every time I run. No more chafing.

Borsch  – (July 27, 2008 at 10:21 PM)  

I completely know it is the shirt...it was a new shirt. I've had other shirts that have 'rubbed' but not rubbed me raw!

I'm totally going to try the New Skin...I have some in my bathroom!

Thanks for the advise

teacherwoman  – (July 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM)  

Sorry to hear about the nipples. Sounds like no fun.

"Running in the country, where I don't know any distances, made it tough to gage how fast I was going. So I just did what felt like a comfortable pace." -- this is a good thing... you were obviously listening to your body!

tracie  – (July 28, 2008 at 8:42 AM)  

great job! sounds like all in all it was a great run! :)

Colleen  – (July 28, 2008 at 12:19 PM)  

Get those little round bandaids - we call them nipple-aids in our house. Hubby swears by them.

Good thing you listened to your body on the run - sounds like you're right on track for the 2:00 half! Best of luck!

Meg  – (July 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM)  

Ugh, I feel bad about your nipples! Great run though! It sounds like without your bathroom break and add in the excitement of the race you'll for sure break 2:00.

Rural Girl  – (July 29, 2008 at 6:11 AM)  

running in the country at the crach of dawn is the best! great job! take care of yourself

Lisa Slow-n-Steady  – (July 29, 2008 at 7:02 AM)  

owie owie owie

Nice run otherwise. :)

Tri to Be Funny  – (July 29, 2008 at 8:16 AM)  

Damn--sounds like a comedy of errors out there! I can't think of two worse things than having to poop AND having nipple chafing! No wonder most people never run!!!

Steve Stenzel  – (July 29, 2008 at 8:56 AM)  

Good luck with the nip-nips.

And have a good race this weekend! Sorry I'll miss it!!!

:-(

The Clyde  – (July 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM)  

Got to love the sharts...luckily I haven't had to deal with them.

As for the nips, if your wrap yourself in saran wrap (whole upper body), I find that really helps. No friction at all.

Who needs dri fit?

The Clyde  – (July 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM)  

Got to love the sharts...luckily I haven't had to deal with them.

As for the nips, if your wrap yourself in saran wrap (whole upper body), I find that really helps. No friction at all.

Who needs dri fit?

Borsch  – (July 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM)  

hmmm...wouldn't saran wrap be a little warm? I'm not sure it would breathe the best.

LG  – (July 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM)  

so i take it you actually stopped for #2 and went in the woods - i'm assuming this is what happened because your time suddenly increased after dumping the extra waste - pun intended. i only bring in the bathroom humor b/c you wrote about it! great run! good luck this weekend!

Molly  – (July 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM)  

If you try the saran wrap idea I would love to see a photo diary (a la Steve) of that!
Take Care

J~Mom  – (July 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM)  

Woohoo!!! Great job on that run!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP