Happy Holiday Weekend!

Hey all...I hope everyone had a good safe holiday weekend!

I had a rough week of workouts!

Sunday: Ran 10 Miles
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Ran 4 miles
Wednesday: Biked 22 miles
Thursday: Ran 5 miles
Friday: Rest Happy 4th!
Saturday: Ran 12 miles

Every single run involved some form/intensity of knee pain! I need serious help...maybe new shoes! I didn't have any knee pain until I got my new shoes. This whole time I've been looking for something wrong with me, my stretching, my running form, anything. Now, before my next run, I'm buying new shoes. I'm just going to take it as the kid from Run 'n Fun wasn't very smart and gave me shoes that were bad for me. I think I'm going to go tomorrow, before I hit the bike.

My 12 miler today: I started at about 10:30 this morning and everything seemed fine. My lungs felt the best they had in 2 weeks, my legs felt great! Around mile 3 I slammed my gel, I ate far to early this morning and was getting hungry. By mile 5 I was CRAVING a drinking fountain. It was getting hot and the sun was reaching its peak for the day. There just happened to be a drinking fountain at mile 5.8 miles. oooo, that was tasty. I ran a few more min, turned around and headed back. I hit the turnaround (6 miles) at 56 min...A LITTLE FAST...4 min too fast. On the way back I hit the same drinking fountain really quick just for good measure. Miles 6 - 9 lasted FOREVER! I was burning up, my shade from the morning was gone and the sun was beating back off the blacktopped trail. Mile 6 - 9 also brought on some slight knee twinges, but nothing to be concerned about. Mile 9 I hit another drinking fountain, which was long over due! I slammed some shot blocks, I didn't feel very hungry but I knew I needed something in my system. I really needed some enduralytes (salt and potassium mostly) and not carbs but I still ate the shot blocks. I think I was trying to fool my body. The next few miles were mostly uphill and kicked my butt! My knee pain got much worse, I had to stop and walk a little ways. I think that was the worst thing I could have done. When I started running again my knee was stiff and felt 10 times worse for the first 5-10 strides. After that it was mostly back to that dull pain. I finished the run in poor shape, I was beaten up by the sun and crippled by the pain in my knee. I stopped my watch at 2:07:17...WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE SECOND HALF OF THE RUN! 11 min slower than the first 6 miles. WTF! And I felt like I was working my azz off!

Side Note: I think I was half talked into a half IM next year....any suggestions on which ones are good ones for beginner/novice triathletes? By novice I mean I haven't done any! I haven't been in a pool swimming laps more than once since I was a child. I have no worries that I couldn't finish the bike or run. I'd like to say I fall into the average category (maybe slightly above average) on both of those and think I could put them together the easiest. Swimming would def. be my major concern. So if you have any suggestions let me know!

teacherwoman  – (July 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM)  

I remember specifically one of my longer runs when I first started running. I was dying of thirst around mile 4 and ended up finding a water fountain around that time, and probably drank to much then. hahaha. Now I plan my longer runs around specific locations with either water fountains or a gas station I can stop for a powerade or something.

On the triathlon front... you should try one of the Lifetime Fitness Triathlons (indoor, around the cities areas) before your half IM! I did one for my first (and only tri as of right now) and thought it was awesome!

Danielle in Iowa  – (July 6, 2008 at 8:06 AM)  

Well, the good news is that the swim is flat at all half-IM races :-) I am contemplating doing the Pigman in Iowa next August for my first Half-IM. I have heard good things about that one. If you hear of any good ones up your way, let me know!

Lisa - Slow & Steady  – (July 6, 2008 at 8:20 AM)  

i need new shoes too. i think i am going to get some for after my next race.

check into total immersion for swimming. it makes a lot of sense.

Marcy  – (July 6, 2008 at 8:58 AM)  

Ooooooo that run sounds like it was brutal :-(

Colleen  – (July 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM)  

Sounds like a tough run - way to go for getting through it though. That was probably the hardest part! I'd definitely look into new shoes quickly before you do any more damage!

Don't have any suggestions as to what race to do since we're in Ohio, but I'd definitely get some race experience before jumping into a half - maybe a sprint or two and an oly or two. It'll make a big difference. You probably won't be happy just going straight to the half. Just a thought.

Molly  – (July 7, 2008 at 9:38 AM)  

Be careful with you knee! I need new shoes too!
I would listen to the folks above and try something shorter b/4 a 1/2 IM. I am considering a sprint distance next year.
Take Care

Formulaic  – (July 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM)  

I totally see where youre coming from.

For a half I'd pick something local to you. I know that everyone is saying start slow, but if youre like me, you want the large goal and then you'll fill in the small goals along the way. If you pick a half 12 months from now, that gives you lots of time to get there.

Talk to Steve, I'm sure he knows a lot fo good Halfs (and Smaller) races to do.

I also agree with Lisa. Check out Total Immersion. It works wonders and build you up quickly.

LG  – (July 8, 2008 at 7:36 AM)  

Hi! Thanks for your comment! Glad through my race report & all my "learnings" you found some things to relate to. It really stinks when through injuries the body cannot keep up with the goals & desires of the mind & spirit. I hope the new shoes helped. From what I've been reading on your blog, I have no doubt you could do a triathlon - maybe start out with a shorter Olympic distance just to get the feel for it.

J~Mom  – (July 8, 2008 at 4:36 PM)  

I am scoping out my first 70.3 for next year. It would be great if a bunch of us ended up at the same one!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP