QUICK Sherpa Report and Weigh In

I spent Saturday riding up and down the Grandma’s marathon course. Three of my friends; Steve, Pharmie and Steph were running the full marathon. The day started at 4:45 am, with a couple cereal bars and a bunch of water. I lathered myself with sunscreen and threw on some biking gear. It was actually pretty chilly in the morning for a ride (~45 degrees) so I also threw on a track jacket.




I went with the three of them to the spot where the bus picks them up, took a few pics and started my 26 mile bike to the starting line. The ride went pretty fast, I had to stop for a Cliff bar on the way…I was getting SUPER hungry. When I got to the start I had no idea where to look for them. I just found a high spot and started looking around. I was just giving up on finding them when Steve found me…notice that I am just taking random photos and Steve is running into the picture.




We took a few more pics, here is Steph and I at the start...


Steve, Pharmie and Steph...


I said my good-bye and good luck to them and started biking my way down the course a little…but not before I caught Pharmie making one last ‘potty’ stop.


I spent the next 5 hours doing some time trialin’ along the course. I rode fast to the next access street between the express highway and the scenic highway (the marathon course). At each access road I set the bike down, got some of the three runner’s nutrition out so I could easily hand it to them and busted out the camera to take some awesome photos.

The worst part of the day, after all the marathon fun was over, I had to ride back to the dorms we were staying at. Look at the elevation chart below…it was a CLIMB!


Did I mention I was down poured on? The whole marathon was hot and sunny, then when I was waiting to meet up with the runners by the runner pick up area later it rained for a few min and again, even harder, on my ride home…not once while I ( and all the runners ) was baking during the heat of the marathon.

We were all a little sore, Steph was worse than the rest of us. We all showered up and grabbed dinner. Then Steph and I went down to Canal Park (the finish area) to walk around. Sunday morning we hit up this awesome breakfast buffet!

There was...
  • French toast
  • sausage
  • eggs Benedict
  • bacon
  • potatoes
  • mashed potatoes
  • RIBS
  • rotisserie chicken
  • MADE TO ORDER OMELETTE'S
  • butternut bread
  • pumpkin bread
  • muffins


  • I’m pretty sure that didn’t help the weight loss…oh well, it was worth it.

    WEIGH IN: 244…down 1 pound.

    P.S. Steph and I are going to take my weight loss goal up a notch; we’re going to have a contest. The details aren’t set in stone yet. Probably percent of body weight lost and inches lost, neither of us really want to buy a body fat caliper to get really accurate.

    I need good wager ideas and dinner ideas/menu ideas for a busy guy. I think I eat pretty well most of the day, the evening/dinner time is where I usually have a larger meal and then snack. The snacking is easy to fix, but I need meals that are healthy and will fill me up after working out. Any suggestions?

    Rural Girl  – (June 24, 2008 at 5:51 AM)  

    Awesome sherpa work! Support from friends is sooo important!

    As for eating debacles.....my downfall with the evening meal can happen when I let myself get to the point of starvation. Then my good sense and planning go out the window and I eat anything and everything. I find that if I eat a good, healthy snack mid-afternoon, it keeps the empty gut sensation away and I don't overdo with supper. And yeah, skip the evening snack before bed. Unless of course, you've just worked out. Need to refuel then.

    Steve Stenzel  – (June 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM)  

    Damn! That IS a climb!! Thanks again for running around with all our crap on your back!! You're the best!!

    J~Mom  – (June 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM)  

    I hope you will come and sherpa my first marathon. :>) Love the pics you took!!

    As for dinner how about grilling some chicken breasts (like a bunch) and then eating them two nights in a row. Or you could eat them one night and the next night make some fajitas or something. I have been using ground turkey breast in place of hamburger for Mexican food (tacos or burritos) and it's yummy. You can get low carb tortillas and it's even healthier. Hope those help get you started.

    Marcy  – (June 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM)  

    OMG what I wouldn't give for that breakfast menu right now. YUM!!

    Ummmmyeah about the suggestions . . .don't ask me LMAO! My main staple food are donuts and danish :-/

    Nat  – (June 24, 2008 at 5:12 PM)  

    Okay, how did I miss that buffet? Hello? I am the queen of breakfast. I can't believe I miss it. Geez. Great job on the biking up and down the course. It was a hot one!

    teacherwoman  – (June 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM)  

    Great pics!

    Goodluck on finding good meals for after working out. I am still struggling with that!

    tracie  – (June 25, 2008 at 9:46 AM)  

    great job as sherpa! what a ride that must have been.

    Molly  – (June 25, 2008 at 7:50 PM)  

    You are a great friend!
    All I can say about dinner is that I can not think about anything other than your brunch right now...esp the pumpkin bread!
    Take Care

    Colleen  – (June 26, 2008 at 2:35 PM)  

    Great pictures... you are a good friend!

    As for the weight loss suggestions - we always eat the biggest meal of the day at night so it's hard. I suggest starting out with a salad if possible. I even went out and bought plates that were in three sections (like a peace sign) and in the biggest part I put my veggies. That way I knew I was eating more of those. Then I try to limit my snack after dinner to 100-150 calories. Just a thought! :) Good luck!

    Lisa - Slow & Steady  – (June 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM)  

    You seem to be quite the sherpa. I'm sure you deserved the breakfast buffet.

    Not sure what to say about dinner. I plan everything out in advance, that seems to help.

    Collin  – (June 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM)  

    How about this? When you skip a cookie, you get some nookie!

    Post a Comment

    About This Blog

      © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

    Back to TOP