Mock duathlon (AKA Brick workout) Leads to PAIN!

All day Wednesday I was super excited for this"mock duathlon" as my cycling instructor at lifetime was calling it. She prepared two cycling routes and two run routes, you could mix and match them as you please. The bike routes were 22 miles and 15 miles, the run routes were a 5K and a 10K. We all signed up at Lifetime for what our distances were going to be…I picked the 22 mile bike and the 10K run. Only five other people (out of about 35) signed up for this ‘long course’.

We eventually got started about 15 min late because everyone needed the routes repeated like ten times over. That seriously got annoying, I came with the routes printed out and laminated ( I know I’m a geek, but I wasn’t getting lost)…plus they are sweat proof then!

I jumped on the back wheel of some “A” group riders. Our normal Wednesday cycling group has an A, B and C group. I was keeping up fine, drafting off the lead cycling instructor and a few others with MACHO STELLAR looking legs. For the first few miles I was breathing pretty heavy, but finally settled into a comfortable breathing pattern. Mile 5…we climbed a decent hill and I was WAY winded and falling back a little. I remember my cycle instructor’s teachings and spent 15-20 seconds out of the saddle pushing hard, 15-20 seconds in the saddle, 15-20 seconds out of the saddles sprinting and I was back in line eating wheel.

About mile 11 we hit a HUGE hill, I always get bogged down there on our normal weekly rides. This day, CRAMP! A shooting pain went through my left calf and it was locked up. I tried to stretch it out on the bike but it just wasn’t having it. I stopped at the top of the hill to stretch out and I was officially dropped from the A group. My calf cramped up the rest of the bike on and off. When it hit me the rest of the ride I was able to stretch it out on the bike though. I never saw another rider the rest of the ride. I was far behind the A group and far ahead of the B group. Lets just say that was a lonely 11 miles back, but good training for a real event. Out on my own, pushing myself on the bike…which doesn’t happen very often. I usually need someone with me to push me on the bike, I’m just not used to working hard on the bike…seeing as this is probably only my 15th time on a road bike.

I ended the bike, in 1:09:25, a 19.02mph average! That is great for me! Especially considering I had a few stops in there to stretch and my bike computer keeps counting for like 30 seconds until it goes into snooze mode. I then had the longest transition ever!

Here are my ten steps to a perfect parking lot transition.
Step 1:
Drink water
Step2: Open car trunk
Step3:Take front tire off of bike
Step4: Put bike in trunk
Step5: change into run top
Step6: Take off bike shorts and put on run shorts
Step7: Put on run shoes
Step8: Grab ipod
Step9: Grab shot blocks
Step10: Close up car

This ten step process took me 5min and 46 seconds. LONGEST TRANSITION EVER!

I started on the run with two other people, 1 guy who is running Grandma’s Marathon this weekend and another woman that usually drafts off me when I ride with the B group on Wednesdays. She says that she likes it because I push the pace and I’m a larger guy so I block a lot of wind.

By 0.5 miles, yes, 0.5 miles I was cramping up. I stopped, stretched ate a couple shot blocks and was back on my way. I didn’t know my distances around this area but I could guess them because I was semi familiar with the area. I think I was running about a 9:30 pace until roughly mile 2.5….HOLD FOR SUSPENSE!





HOLD…






KEEP HOLDING…





Then I turned my head to the left and puked up the GU from mile 15 of the bike and the shot blocks I just ate. I was low on sodium, low on water…crap that sucked! I eventually got back on my way, A LOT slower though. I now had the taste of puke in my mouth. I couldn’t stand it, I looked for a house where it looked like no one was home and ducked into their yard to steal water from their hose. The rest of the run was SUPER hilly, there weren’t a ton of big hills…just constant hills (See below).



At 1:10:24 I came into the parking lot for my glorious finish. I then collapsed on the sidewalk trying to cool myself down and catch my breath. Sara, a girl that cycles every Wednesday with the group came down and asked if I was ok. I said, yea…I’ll be fine in a min or two. I picked myself up, grabbed my cooler and headed toward the picnic shelter…TIME TO GRILL!

One day later…I feel fine except for that stupid reoccurring knee pain. I need to get this knee figured out, I’m in week 1 of marathon training…what the hell am I going to be like during week 12 or 16?

On a happier note, I have three friends running Grandma’s marathon his weekend. I’m bringing my bike up there to play ‘sherpa’ and carry some food, gels, etc for them. Steve is looking for sub 3:10 (Boston qualifying), I don’t know what Pharmie’s time goal is and I think Steph just wants to finish(she has had a horrific training …all of her long runs have went bad).

tracie  – (June 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM)  

i hope you get that knee pain figured out soon!!! have you been stretching your IT band???

seriously, the fact that you ran into someone's yard to steal water from the hose cracked me up! i can see the headline now, 'man suspected as prowler, only looking to get puke taste from mouth.'

Formulaic  – (June 19, 2008 at 3:57 PM)  

Man! That was a horrific time you had there.

Any idea of what happened to case all the cramping? Maybe something you ate or drank the day before?

Way to HTFU! And really nice job hanging with the A group. 19.02 is a nice average, especially with a the issues you had.

Getting fast. Working towards those goals.

Pharmie  – (June 19, 2008 at 5:57 PM)  

Woah, you are hard core man! Glad you'll be our sherpa this weekend, if you can still stand to look at your bike that is :)

Borsch  – (June 19, 2008 at 10:53 PM)  

Formulaic...I think I would have to put the cramping on poor hydration and low on sodium.

Colleen  – (June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM)  

Although you had to run with the taste of puke in your mouth, way to go. You kicked ass on the bike and well... at least you got through the run! :) You easily could have wussed out and done the shorter course, but you're better than that, puke and all! Great job!

Have fun this weekend!

teacherwoman  – (June 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM)  

Oooh, knee pain. ick. Stretch those ITbands real good...

KodaFit  – (June 23, 2008 at 9:17 AM)  

Hey - if it is your IT Bands... I got given a stretch routine by my doctor and told to lay off it for a week - By the time I went and saw him, I could barely walk. 2 weeks later I still couldn't do much.

I ended up buying a strap that is designed for IT Band problems. I just synch it up really tight, just 2 or 3 inches above my knee and it has made the world of difference.

Stretching helped a little, but the strap meant I could keep training and I would piss it off any more. I just did an Olympic Tri on Saturday without the strap and it felt great (or as great as running a 10k in 90+ degree weather can feel!!)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP