Half Marathon Race Report

Thursday evening I got a phone call from an old college buddy, he said he was going to be in town this weekend and that we should 'do it up old school style'...that means lots of drinking games and bars all night. I just thought great, now what do I do? Do I go out with some old college buddies or do I run the half marathon? I decided to do both. :-)

Saturday we had a few drinks at dinner, played a few drinking games at my place and when we went to the bar around 10 I stopped drinking. I drank tons of water at the bars, the bartenders were getting annoyed with this guy drinking glass after glass of water. We left the bars around 1:15/1:30 and I grabbed a few G2's on the way home. Slammed 1 before bed. Sunday morning I got up around 5:30 and started the morning with a few big glasses of water and a bowl of oatmeal. I iced my knee for a few min and was out the door around 6:30. I got to The Depot (the race expo site) and was able to park in their ramp for $4...why not. The start was a few blocks away and the finish was just one block over form The Depot. At the expo I was super excited when I found a MASSIVE box full of shot blocks. It was about 20 min before the start and i was already starting to feel the oatmeal wear off and my 1 pack of gel wasn't going to be enough. I grabbed a package of shot blocks and headed for the start.

I had tons of butterflies in my stomach at the start. I wasn't sure how the boozing the day before and knee would endure the 13.1 miles to come. I heard the gun and the 'heard' started moving forward. For the first 3 miles I burped some whiskey shots from the night before. I easily settled into a nice pace. Mile 5 soon rolled around and just thought...I'm gonna be ok. My knee is holding up, I don't feel dehydrated. I motored up a HUGE STEEP hill and saw a water station in the distance. I ripped the shot blocks open with my teeth and grabbed a cup of water from a nice volunteer. I ate half the pack and continued on my way. After 50 min of running I was starting to feel the sun get hotter.

Miles 5 - 9 were mentally tougher, I'm not used to running the same location over and over in a race. This course was made up of multiple loops (see previous post for picture), which meant I ran across the same bridge twice between miles 5 and 9. This was also the hottest part of the course. Most of it was blocked by buildings or had fresh blacktop or concrete bouncing the warm sun back at you. At about mile 9.5 I tore open the gel and grabbed some more water. Mile ten brought a good feeling for me...a very realistic feeling that this half marathon was in the bag. I checked my watch at pretty much every mile marker, I knew I was right on my 10 min/mile pace. It was slower than I was hoping for originally but after the knee incident and not running more than 3 miles ( 2 separate occasions ) over the past 2 weeks I was happy.

Mile 11 brought a new mental challenge...my first signs of knee pain. You know when you've had an injury and it starts to hurt a little your mind jumps back there. Well I think my mind jumped back there and made it seem worse than it was. I pushed through it and tried to attract my attention to anything other than my knee. Through the first few miles of the race I kept looking around at the people and setting and thought this was a really nice place for a race. Until mile 11 and attempting to get my mind off of my knee I had completely disregarded that this race was in a great place with beautiful weather.

The last two miles were harder on my mind than legs. I eventually reached that HUGE STEEP hill...again...and made my way up it. I slowed my place at the top to catch my breath and made my way to the finish. I crossed the finish line at 2:11:19 (unofficial clock time). According to my watch I finished at 2:09:51.

To recap, I feel like I had a GREAT race considering all the events of the past few weeks. I made the most of my weekend by hanging out with my old college buddy and finished the half marathon.

Formulaic  – (June 2, 2008 at 6:26 PM)  

Way to party like a rockstar!

And the leg held out too.

Nice!

Who say you can't have your cake and drink it too??

Meg  – (June 2, 2008 at 6:55 PM)  

Nice job with the partying and racing! "For the first 3 miles I burped some whiskey shots from the night before." Ugh. Good job stopping at the bar and re-hydrating. I'm not sure I could have done that!
Great race!

teacherwoman  – (June 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM)  

I think you rocked that race! And to be able to do so after a little night's rest and a bit of alcohol consumption the night before! Nice job!

Danielle in Iowa  – (June 2, 2008 at 7:32 PM)  

Hey, the night before was just carb loading! Good job of getting her done!

J~Mom  – (June 2, 2008 at 7:35 PM)  

WOW! Congrats on your half! I certainly could not have done it after a night out!!

Collin  – (June 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM)  

Nicely done! Not sure I'd recommend your day before (de)hydration plan, but whatever works for you!

Colleen  – (June 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM)  

I'm impressed - drinks with your buddies, 4 or less hours of sleep and you still had a great race! Congrats! And glad to hear the knee held up - your mind can be your worst enemy when you are injured!

Marcy  – (June 3, 2008 at 7:18 AM)  

Def looks like a sweet race to me considering the boozing ;-) CONGRATS :D :D

Molly  – (June 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM)  

Great job!!!
Whiskey, hills, repeated course, knee pain...all around quite impressive!
Take Care

Steve Stenzel  – (June 3, 2008 at 12:43 PM)  

Nice job on the booze AND the run!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg  – (November 25, 2008 at 6:10 AM)  

O, Jebus! The drinking AND the knee AND it wasn't just beer the night before - it was whiskey! You must be part Irish. That or you have a hollow leg where the booze goes.

I'd be happy with a 2:11 half under the BEST of circumstances. But this here was like listening to Keith Richards, if he were a runner too!

Way to rock it old school, brother!

KimsRunning  – (November 25, 2008 at 7:10 AM)  

And I thought I was cool for staying up past midnight, drinking 5 beers, getting up at 4am and running a 5k one second over my best PR....LOL...I'm gonna try whiskey next time! I also have a knee injury (IT band) Did that at mile 7 in a half marry in Oct!! Walked at least 2 miles and finished 2:30:20...

Thanks for the whiskey tip!!! LOL

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP