Update needed! It has been a while!

So the past few weeks have been full of a bunch of ups and downs. On May 16th I had a great 12 mile run, at little slow, but I felt like it was a good run. Two says later I had a great brick work out that left me hanging over a garbage can in the Lifetime locker room. It was a great work out because I got through a cycle class where we flirted with out AT on 'hills' all day followed by a 7 mile run. Not having enough food left me hanging over the garbage can ready to puke for a few min. When I settled down everything was great! I felt great and ate a ton of food... :-)

Then I was super excited to go on a run with Steph on Friday ( I took the day off, which was a super plus...except I spent the whole morning on my phone putting out fires at work ). When I finally got off the phone I met up with Steph for a 10 miler. Everything was great for the first 3 miles. Then I noticed a dull 'ache' in my right knee. By mile 4 I asked Steph if we would turn around early and by mile 6 I was walking. I had sharp pain going through my knee with every step. I had to tell Steph to keep going and come back for me with a car...what the hell. I couldn't barely remember having a bad run during my abbreviated training for this half marathon. And all the sudden I have a sharp pain in my knee...WTF! I tried to walk it off a while and when it was starting to feel better (not as sharp of a pain) I tried to run...that didn't last more than 10 steps and I was walking again.

Eventually I saw Steph's car in sight and there went Steph's car. I just started thinking...where did she go, where was she turning around? While I waited for her to turn around I kept walking slowly back to her house (where we started the run). When I got all the way back I saw her car pull up to her house...she drove right by me and never saw me.

Anyway, I haven't ran in almost a week and a half and I'm going stir crazy! I went on 1 bike right, which was 20 miles in 3 and a half hours. I know...it was pretty slow, but it wasn't soo much a training ride as playing Sherpa for Steph on her 20 miler. I was there for moral support and to carry her Enduralytes and shot blocks. It wasn't excited but it was a success for myself and Steph. I had a knee pain free ride and she finished her 20 miler.

If everything feels good tomorrow I'm going to attempt my first run in a week and a half...I really don't have time for it to not feel well, my half marathon is in less than a week.

Danielle in Iowa  – (May 27, 2008 at 6:03 AM)  

Oh bummer! Just be careful though! If it is something like ITBS you can knock yourself out of running for the whole summer if you run on it before it is ready!

Marcy  – (May 28, 2008 at 7:17 AM)  

Dang! That stinks :-( I hope it gets better ASAP.

Formulaic  – (May 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM)  

Bite the bullet and get a knee brace. One of the cheap soft ones from rite-aid or CVS. Try it. It may help out a lot.

It did for me. I realize that you look weak because you have a knee brace but at least it gets you running while you build back the strength.

Hope you find out what the cause is. In the meantime, you can also try running on dirt/grass. That might help.

Get better!

Swim!

Colleen  – (May 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM)  

Ouch... never like hearing about knee pain (even though my hubby and I own a line of orthopedic braces so people like you keep me living! - www.captainsports.com if you need anything!) Hopefully you'll feel good on your run after a few days rest! Keep us updated!!!

teacherwoman  – (May 28, 2008 at 9:10 PM)  

Big half marathon this weekend!? I think you are so ready! Good luck and we expect a good race report afterwards!

Collin  – (May 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM)  

I had knee problems last summer leading up to and after my first half marathon. I started taking glucosamine chondroitin and haven't had a single problem since. It's "joint lubrication" and it works great. Check it out.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP