First DUATHLON.....DONE ***UPDATE BELOW***

Sunday was the Winter Begone Duathlon in Oronoco, MN. I was super excited about this race up until Friday, when my bike was officially named deceased. RIP Stacy! Friday I got my old (like 7-8 years old) mountain bike out of storage only to find few bikes tangled in my pedals and spokes. I took my bike to Erik's bike shop and had a couple spokes replaced and the wheels trued.



Sunday morning I showed up to the park and saw Steve, Sarah and Matt.



We all got there pretty early and found parking right next to transition and not too far from the finish. (notice how empty transition was, below)



We all picked up our race numbers and chips, set up in transition and finished getting ready. It was warming up to 35 degrees so I stripped off the pants and high wool socks for some shorts and Smartwool socks. The yellow fence in the back is transition.



Run 1
Eventually the race got underway with the long course starting 12 min before the short course. Matt and myself were doing the short course so when they started we went for a little warm up jog. When we finally started I wasn't feeling well, we were moving slow but it felt like we were flying. We got to mile 1 and I looked at my watch...9:05 ( I thought we were closer to 8 with how hard I was breathing...DAMN Asthma ). I drudged on and finished the first run (2 miles). This being my first time in transition (besides the setup) I was trying to move fast and get out quickly, in the process I almost knocked over the rack, whoops.

Bike
I got off on the bike on my stellar mountain bike. The first half mile was pretty rough....my seat slipped down a little so I had to get off and raise it. STUPID QUICK RELEASE SEAT. I was also struggling with not being clipped or caged in so I was trying to get used to not being 'attached' to my pedals. It took me 2-3 miles to get used to pedaling without clipless pedals. In that time I got pasted by a good number of people who finished the run right after me. But after that I really wasn't passed by many people. I would like to note...I WASN'T PASSED BY ANY MOUNTAIN BIKERS!...YAY! The course was super hilly! The short course was out and back...once I turned around and started my way back I noticed there was a pretty good head wind (gusting to 25 mph or so). Good thing I had some motivation to work extra hard into that wind. At about mile 3-4 I found a true poser! He was riding a $3,000 Orbea bike and I was riding not too far behind him on my MOUNTAIN BIKE. The rest of the bike we kept leapfrogging each other. He would take off on the downhills and flats and I caught him on the up hills. Finally with about 1 mile left he ran out of gas and fell off. I was about a block or two in front of him turning into the park road for transition.


Run 2
I stripped off my under armour and ran out of transition. My legs were dead! That was my slowest two mile run EVER! It actually felt better than the first run, breathing wise, but legs were definitely spent.

Time Summary:

Run 1 (2 miles) - 17:46
T1 - 1:50
Bike (12 miles) - 57:41
T2 - 1:19
Run 2 (2 miles) - 20:34

Overall, I had a great time and definitely left room for improvement. Below are the official finishing photos....I look completely beaten!



NOTE: Stacy (well, Stacy 2.0) gets returned to me tomorrow....YAY!


***UPDATE***

I just heard from Erik's Bike Shop, they don't have my bike ready. Actually, they don't have a bike for me! I had such a great experience buying my bike. Everyone was very helpful, knowledgable and gave me great guidance on what route to go. When I finially decided to buy this bike I was way excited. Ever since mile 121, when the crank fell off, I've had nothing but problems. It was going to be an easy repair, then the threads in the frame were stripped and the bottom bracket was cracked. So Specialized sent a new bike out over night. NOW THEY SENT THE WRONG BIKE! I said ok, can we try to get another one sent out. Sure...(5 min later I get called)...they don't have any more '07's in my size. He said he could get a 56 in and try to fit me into that...well, I'd rather stay in a 58...that seemed to be a great fit for me.

As it all stands right now, no bike for me....and I haven't heard any options about how this is going to be resolved. My best guess is to put me in a '08 model, they were exacctly the same except for the crank defect that started this whole mess (or so I'm told).

My question to you....

Steve Stenzel  – (April 28, 2008 at 9:54 PM)  

Nice report, Jon! I didn't know your seat slid down!! Damn! Nothing went right!

Can't wait to see the new and improved Stacy!!

Colleen  – (April 29, 2008 at 9:07 AM)  

Wow - you are a rockstart to finish the du on your mountain bike. And to pass the poser with the Orbea! :) Way to go. Can't wait to see pictures of Stacy 2.0 (will that be her name or something new?)

tracie  – (April 29, 2008 at 9:35 AM)  

great report and race!

congrats on the new stacy!

Marcy  – (April 29, 2008 at 9:48 AM)  

Awesome job homie!! You totally rocked that out ;D ;D

Formulaic  – (April 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM)  

Way to go for your first Du!

Nice times too. Looking forward to the future.

Molly  – (April 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM)  

Great job!
Ditto to all the comments above.
AND I agree with Colleen that your NEW bike needs a NEW name!
Take Care

IronJenny  – (May 3, 2008 at 8:33 AM)  

Fun! ... about the voting - is there a tri bike in the mix that we can vote on?
;-)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP