1 Brick 2 Brick

Brick 1

Monday was my first brick workout ever! I wasn't sure what to expect. Was it going to go ok? Would I hurt? Correction, how much will I hurt? How hard should I go? Well, I soon forgot about all of that. I showed up to Lifetime ready to cycle. After the about 5-8 hours of snow, rain and slush the roads were pretty crappy. We got started a little late, most of us were already in the room cycling a little. The instructor opened with, "Since we're starting late I'm gonna have to push you extra hard." Not a good sign for my first brick. After about 1 hour of rolling hills I was off to T1. I filled my water bottle, threw on a new set of sneakers headed for a treadmill.

I threw on my headphones and started that puppy up. My legs were nice and loose, and the run started well. I kept it at an easy pace for the first mile. Everything was feeling great so I picked it up. 2 miles later I was pouring sweat and my legs were tired as HELL. I finished my first brick with a good stretch. The next day, HURT!

Brick 2

After a day of rest I went for my second brick workout. After a day of hills I was pretty sure we were going to have an easier, mostly flat road, cycle class. WOW...I was way off! I started to day with intervals on the treadmill. 1 easy mile, hard 400 meters, harder 800, hard mile, harder mile, moderate 800, moderate 400...all with 60 seconds of a slow jog between sets. I haven't done intervals forever! That was a tough run on its own. I wiped the sweat off my treadmill and headed to the locker room to throw on my bike shorts. 2 min later I was off to the bike studio. The instructor came in and asked if everyone was ready for some intervals. I was like....Ummm, NO! 1 min sprint, 1 min easy, 2 min sprint, 2 min easy...all the way up to 5 min and back down. Just for fun she threw in an extra 3 min sprint on the way back down. After the first 4 min sprint my legs cramped time and time again. I was constantly stopping during the easy sets to stretch my calves. I pushed on and finished my second brick workout. My legs are super shaky right now and I know they are going to HURT tomorrow. I'm hoping next week is nice and I can get on my bike outside, maybe then I can go for brick workout #3with an easy/moderate bike and an easy to moderate run. Friday and Saturday look like they are going to be nice days; I'm looking forward to a long run outside this weekend.

Marcy  – (April 3, 2008 at 5:56 AM)  

Better you than me homie! LMAO! Sounds killer!

Steve Stenzel  – (April 3, 2008 at 7:58 AM)  

Keep this up, and you'll SMOKE those duathlons this year!!

Colleen  – (April 3, 2008 at 5:51 PM)  

Great job - starting into bricks isn't always the most pleasant experience! Keep it up though and they'll be cake!

Welcome to blogging by the way!

Formulaic  – (April 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM)  

WOW! Stick with this class!

Those class sessions will kick you up into some serious shape.

Do outside when you are able, but don't forget about those classes.

...I think I'm jealous!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP