Joe Plant Memorial 5K Race Report

Last week Steve in a Speedo wanted help picking between a 5K or Indoor Tri. He got a bunch of comments on that post and the 5K won. Saturday night I decided I was going to do it also. I had a nice dinner with the gf followed by a good nap and wide awake at 6:50 in the morning for my first race of the year! For those of you who haven't read my first post, I started on a high note! I was looking to PR after a very relaxed winter workout program.

I started the day with a good bowl of Wheaties! And we were off...Steph, Steve and myself hopped in my car. Ten min and a loop around the race course (not on purpose) later Steve and I were ready to get our race numbers. There were two huge lines that merged into one and no one really knew which line was for pre-registered bib pickup or race day registration. They were hoping for around 150 runners/walkers...they topped 400 (I think they ran out of numbers).

Steve and I started off with a quick warm-up, Steph snapped this awesome photo of us on our way back...


Warm-up over...

Time to stand around while people are corralled to the start line.



The race director asked for everyone who was going to run a sub 20 to come to the front. A few people stepped forward. I was close to the front, but not planning on coming near the 20 min mark...I contemplated stepping back towards the middle of the pack but soon threw that idea out. There weren't enough speedy people for me to get in the way on this wide path. I think I was passed by a dozen people within the first 15-20 strides and after that a person here or there.

Side Note:I run with a IM Timex watch and a Nike+ ipod receiver.

I started out strong just hoping to hold on for a PR. Mile one went fast, I was talking with a guy dressed up as Prefontaine for a little while. He asked what I was looking to PR at, I replied with sub 25. He looked a little concerned, then I asked what he was shooting for....sub 22. He followed with, how fast are we going? I looked at my ipod and it said 8:30, but I knew since I was striding it out a little more we were going a little faster than it was reading so I said around 8-8:15 pace. He then said good look and I ate his dust. I got to mile marker 1 and looked at my split on the watch, then at my ipod. What was going on?!? The watch said 7:45, the ipod said 7:45 at an 8:30/pace. CRAP! I'm booking!

The second mile was a worse...partially I had it in my head that I was going to burn myself out at this pace. I slowed it down some and kept chugging along. Mile 2...8:30. Awesome, back on pace. Shortly after mile marker two we turned back towards teh finish and I was in trouble. My legs were feeling fatigued from the biking a few days before and I was getting short of breath. I was having a slight asthma attack. I told myself to slow down but keep going. I slowed to about a 9 min pace, caught my breath and saw the home stretch. With about a half mile to go I picked it back up to a sub 8 pace and finished strong.

Steph was there to take some awesome photos of my coming in...



Final Results...PR for myself and Steve!


PlaceDiv.SexNo.NameAgeSexTownTimePace
111235Steve Stenzel 27MSt Paul17:275:37
402031372Jon Borscheid24M 24:477:59

Steve Stenzel  – (April 1, 2008 at 9:35 AM)  

Sweet job breaking 25 minutes AND 8 min miles!! You sure found yourself a lady that's handy with a camera - nice pics Steph!!

Danielle in Iowa  – (April 1, 2008 at 9:52 AM)  

Nice race photos! I always look like I am barely picking my feet up. "No really! I swear I don't shuffle!"

Marcy  – (April 1, 2008 at 10:45 AM)  

Sweet job homie! CONGRATS! ;D

J~Mom  – (April 1, 2008 at 4:44 PM)  

Great job!! You are super speedy! Welcome to blogland!

Collin  – (April 2, 2008 at 12:22 PM)  

Welcome to blogger world!

Great, another noob who's faster than I am. ;)

Theoutofshapeguy  – (April 2, 2008 at 3:18 PM)  

Congrats on the PR!

And welcome to the fun, exciting and addicting blog world!

teacherwoman  – (April 2, 2008 at 6:23 PM)  

Nice job! You rocked that 5k!

Welcome to blogland!

Molly  – (April 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM)  

GREAT time on the 5K!
Welcome to Blogland, have fun!
Take Care

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP